buy MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sunrobby, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. sunrobby macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Location:
    Indonesia
    #1
    Hi, i'm newbie with MacIntosh, i want to buy MBP 2.0 (in next week or next two weeks). Please advice, is it better to buy now or wait :confused: ? Maybe apple will release MBP with double layer burner? Or maybe MBP 2.0's price reduced when 13" MBP out? Please advice.. Cheers..
     
  2. clykins90 macrumors regular

    clykins90

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #2
    They just came out, if you want/need one. Get one. Thats it. There's always goin to be something new around the corner.

    Those things are friggin fast though, and they can install windows. If it has everything you want, just get it.
     
  3. Stella macrumors 604

    Stella

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    MBP have been out 4 months, which is too soon for Apple to refresh the machine. You could wait another two months to see what happens.. then another.. and another... Or just buy one, now. As the previous poster said, the MBP are very fast machines.
     
  4. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #4
    I would wait. I had one preordered when they were announced and then quickly came to my sense. Yes, they are the most powerful mac laptop yet, but it doesn't come without its downsides. They are already on RevD in only 2 months. They still have their problems, and I believe waiting would be best til they improve it somemore. They still get hotter than older G4 Powerbooks I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), and if you did ever intend to install Windows on it, there still seem to be bugs with installation of Boot Camp on MB Pro's. They whine, they do every annoying thing possible. But, you might get lucky and get one of the perfect ones. :D

    But, like someone said, if you need a laptop now, buy it. I personally intend to wait for Merom based MB Pro's, and manage with my iBook G3 til then. But of course I bought a iMac Core Duo instead of the MB Pro due to the fact it doesn't have many problems and that its processor slot was socketed so that I could upgrade later if I wanted. All I can hope is that Apple would be willing to do it, or I guess I'm not doing it til my warranty is out.
     
  5. ipacmm macrumors 65816

    ipacmm

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #5
    If you need one right now and are going to use it, I would just go out and buy it, they are great laptops. If you are up to waiting a few months and really don't need a laptop, I would wait and see what comes out in a few months. I personally think Apple has other Mac's to update then the MBP.
     
  6. student_trap macrumors 68000

    student_trap

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    #6
    i don't think that they will be updated any time soon. however, understand the issues that many users are experiencing before you buy it, these seem to be:

    - Uneven case lids
    - whining cpu
    - whining screen
    - flickering screen
    - heat
    - Airport problems

    note that many of these could be being sorted as we speak (we hope)

    otherwise they are superfast machines
     
  7. Placeholder macrumors member

    Placeholder

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    BUY BUY BUY!
    It's a great machine. In my opinion, the only real reason to wait is to see if the new ibook will meet you needs for a lower price (but, judging by the fact that you're considering ordering a 2.0... BUY BUY BUY!)
     
  8. milo macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #8
    They have already made revisions, they're on D already. I'm not sure which specifically have been fixed (and if they all will be fixed).
     
  9. Gatorman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2002
    Location:
    Florida
    #9
    I'm going to need one for grad school before the Fall, but I'm waiting for until WWDC. The last time I got my mac (my G4 400Mhz, which I'm using right now) I was impatient and ordered it the week before the expo....the next week, they released upgrades. So if you don't need it for a bit, I recommend waiting until at least after WWDC. We're too close to not wait.

    I'm being optimistic, but I'm going to go out on a limb and hope that with the upcoming release of the Macbook and the price drops in the Core Duo, we might see an upgrade to the MBP with the Merom's at the conference (seeing as last I heard the Merom's were being released around the same time....correct me if I'm wrong here). It would only make sense, as Apple likes to separate its pro line from its consumer line. The cheaper cost of the Core Duo would seem to be better suited in the lower priced consumer line and making room for the higher end chip, that would keep the cost roughly the same for each line. Though, I will admit, we have seen some exceptions to all of this in the last year or so. It's an ideal situation, but, most likely, a pipe dream being so soon from the release of the MBP.

    Regardless, I'm going to still get mine in late August and would recommend the same. :D
     
  10. 3mph macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
  11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #11
    Buy it now if it does what you want. If it doesn't do exactly what you want yet (you mention a dual layer burner, I'm not sure how important to you that is) then wait for something that does.
     
  12. Mckenas macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2005
    Location:
    Dubuque, IA
    #12
    I'm personally waiting until WWDC. I want to see if it is worth waiting for Leopard. If it looks good I will wait til January. It would be better anyways because I wanna go all out my whole care price with a new ipod, MBP, adove creative suite, tons of accessories it will be a pretty $4500. But its well worth it . So I rather save up more when there are alot of updates and when I do have more money :D
     
  13. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Location:
    Indonesia
    #13
    Thanks for the advices guys!
    I was just imagining about MBP with double layer burner, it will be perfect. For now, it's not really necessary, but in the future, i believe it's a must to have this feature when blu-ray is out.

    I'm impatient to wait for the WWDC .. :D

    3mph and milo, how can i now the MBP's rev ?

    Thanks! :)
     
  14. Peyton macrumors 68000

    Peyton

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2006
    #14
    I say wait. Just b/c you don't know what the macbooks or the larger 17 or smaller (if it happens) 12 or 13 inch MBPs will consistute.

    They are on their way out, and after you see the new models you might just change your mind.


    But, of course (and you'll hear this 100 times) if its what you want/need, then get it, be happy, don't worry about future products as they'll always been there.
     
  15. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #15
    Personally I was wait until WWDC, since it is just 1 day after my birthday. Belated birthday present for myself! :rolleyes:

    Besides the current issues do seem to be quite rampant, oh and the heat.. if a MeromBook comes out in WWDC the increased power consumption of that thing might prove to be a boon!
     
  16. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Location:
    Indonesia
    #16
    Ok, so i guess im going to buy it :)
    But the problem now is to ensure i'm getting the latest revision isnt it?
    Can you help me, how to identify the rev? Also, what rev is the latest, E or D?

    Cheers :)
     
  17. 3mph macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    #17
    i've bought mine a week ago... its still due to arrive... i'll let u know which rev. it is.
     
  18. sunrobby thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Location:
    Indonesia
    #18
    thanks 3mph, please let me know the latest rev when urs arrived :)
     
  19. eVolcre macrumors 65816

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #19

    If you buy it from the online store you automatically get the latest one. I don't think they even start producing it until you order. Oh, get a BTO though. Even if it's just the faster drive for 100 bucks. I *think* that should ensure your comes fresh off the line

    eV
     
  20. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
  21. eVolcre macrumors 65816

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #21
    :confused:
     
  22. 66217 Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2006
    #22
    All the MacBook Pro's are Rev. A at this time. Aren't they?

    And don't wait for Rev. B.....because when Rev.B arrives, it would still have some minor flaws, and you would want to wait to the Rev.C and so on.
    The perfect computer will never arrive.:mad:

    Just enjoy the moment and buy the MBP.
    A different thing would have been if you wanted to wait for the MB. (That's what I am doing:) )
     
  23. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Location:
    Detroit, Michigan
    #23
    Um, heat problems?

    We have a Rev. E or whatever MacBook Pro at work (Serial # W8613) and this thing has absolutely NO heat problems. I'd use this over my 12" PowerBook G4 any day of the week. Hearing that fan all day everyday is highly annoying. I do hear that whining, but it never bothers me. Most of the time, I just forget about it... or play music. :) It's the 1.83GHz, 512MB, 80GB version...
     
  24. milo macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #24
    Is there any real documentation that they have gone through revisions? There's lots of reference to revisions A through E, how do you know that these revisions exist and how are they identified?
     
  25. sjshaw macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    #25
    The are no official revisions other than "A." As has been pointed out in other threads, the part of the serial numbers that is changing is the week of manufacture.
     

Share This Page