Buy MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theimp, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. theimp macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    Location:
    Ithaca, NY
    #1
    Hi, I am a windows user and I really want to switch to a MBP. I keep reading all these different rumors about the Merom, and the Santa Rosa, and about waiting for Leopard. I will use the computer for basic computer/video tasks along with some engineering and design programs. Should I buy now, wait for Merom, or wait for next spring? I plan for my next computer to last me at least 3 years.

    Also, if I give in and buy one now, when one comes out sometime in 2007, will I be able to sell an older version for any substantial amount of money, or do they lose value as quick as my current laptop. Thanks.
     
  2. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #2
    It depends, is keeping up with the Jones very important to you?

    You can expect to take a 30% hit on the value when you sell it next year.. the myth of high resale prices for Macs have already been debunked with Intel Macs.
     
  3. theimp thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    Location:
    Ithaca, NY
    #3
    The major reason I am thinking on holding out is either for a smaller screen sized MBP, or major improvements in battery life. Are either of those thought to be coming?
     
  4. reflex macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #4
    Don't hold your breath for a smaller screen sized MBP. It's highly unlikely (though you never know with Apple).

    I have no idea about improvements in battery life.
     
  5. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #5
    It is all speculations, Merom will probably give some improvements in battery life if they come.
     
  6. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #6
    while Apple laptops do depreciate, being an easily-searchable model (like iBook, MacBook) seems to hold its value (as opposed to Dell Inspiron xxxx or Latitude or whatever) on the aftermarket. Still expect to take a hit, though.

    I'm in the market for a MBP and I've made up my mind to purchase one 2 weeks after the next one comes out (to see user reviews if there are any major issues with the new model). Doesn't matter if it comes out tomorrow or January.

    I'd really doubt you'd have to wait until next Spring to see a new MBP, but that is also when Santa Rosa is out.

    If you're looking to get you a notebook to last 3 years... personally I'd buy a Macbook now, and purchase another Macbook 2 years from now. That'd last you over 4 years and not be too much more expensive.
     
  7. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #7
    Refurb MBP Now or Later???

    The refurb store has the 1.83GHZ 15" MBP for $1,599 US right now. Personally all I'd really like is a macbook with a dedicated graphics card. Coming from that perspective I still think this MBP is a little too much money for what I need (similar macbook is $949)--$650 for a graphics card and bigger screen is way too much!

    Does anyone think that the 1.83 MBP GHZ will come down significantly with the release of the Rev B. MBPs???
     
  8. kgarchar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    #8
    get the macbook pro now, don't wait. you'll be wasting your time
     
  9. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  10. shecky Guest

    shecky

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Location:
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    #10
    if you need it now buy it now. if you can wait, wait as something is due in (most likely) 10 weeks at the longest (MWSF2007), probably more like 2-4 weeks.
     

Share This Page