buy MBP or Macpro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emrtr4, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

-posted in the mbp forum already, did not see the buying forum
    Okay this is a question that I need help on.

I can spend roughly $3800

I currently have a 1.5ghz powerbook (2 gigs of mem 333 mhz) (80 gig 5400 RPM hardrive) (superdrive) (9600 ATI graphics 128 megs memory).

I am planning on upgrading.

So,
    should I buy a MBP 15 inch (3 gigs of memory, best graphics, ect...ect)
    or a Macpro.

Keep in mind, I currently have a 21 inch monitor that would either be used as an external monitor for the MBP, or if I bought the Macpro I most likely would buy another 21 inch monitor (duel monitors at 1650x1050 res, widescreen).

If you could affoard either, which would you do?
    Note-My powerbook is still running, but I cannot edit large video/ photo files at ease (for surfing, word, open office, itunes...ect ect it is fine).

Would you get the MBP top of the line? Or the Macpro?

Note-I am aware of possible upcoming products and system upgrades and also may consider waiting for Santa Rosa MBPs, but my blackberry keeps me from needing some of its mobile features.
    Thanks

happy new years

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I am currently in the same situation, deciding between MBP and Mac Pro. For what you've said, I'd suggest Mac Pro. If you keep your Powerbook, you'll have portability for simple tasks. But, you'll want to have the Mac Pro for editing video and such. It seems like this would be best, since you already have a monitor to use. No sense in having 2 laptops, when you could have a decent laptop, and awesome desktop.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

MBP hands down for me. On the desk in the home office, it's still a nice powerful desktop... :)

30" ACD for me this year I'm thinking hehehe

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I bought a Macbook Pro recently but I keep wondering if the money would have been better well spent on a Mac Pro. I don't really need 4 processors but I don't fancy having to expand storage using heaps of external drives with cables snaking all around.

YMMV.

Hope the 8 core Mac Pros comes out soon so the current refurbs can get a price cut though :D

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I guess the question is, what do you want to do with it? Just because you have $3800 to spend, doesn't mean you should just blow every penny. I really don't think anyone truly needs a quad CPU Mac or PC for that matter, unless they're doing some serious rendering, or program compiling. Even buying it as some kind of gaming computer would kinda be useless and a waste of money.

So, my money would be on the MacBook Pro. Save some cash for something else.

Perhaps you could even go 24" iMac which has the same basic specs (CPU/RAM) as the high end 15" MBP for the same price. You're getting a larger screen, faster graphics, larger and faster HD, and you still get all of the other things such as the iSight cam, and Front Row remote. The only issue here is its not portable. Just something to think about....