Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
no big surprise there. Everyone always does when a good idea comes about, but they crossed the line. They show a commercial almost identical to the new iPod/iTunes store commercials. It shows people singing their favorite songs with their various types of MP3 players, simply saying "Finally, Music for the rest of us, starting at $.79 per song." I was kinda pissed when I saw it, but not surprised. Apple should have seen this coming and tried to prevent it, but I'm getting used to everyone trying to improve Apple's products/services and failing. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and what they think.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
what is up with all these people posting about buy music. this is more than a week old adn there is like a thousand threads about it.

iJon

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
what is up with all these people posting about buy music. this is more than a week old adn there is like a thousand threads about it.

iJon
iJon what are you talking about!? I love all these summaries. ;)

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Re: Buy Music copying from Apple...

Originally posted by MUrhino
people singing their favorite songs
I think this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33273&buymusic
covered the most, but since I'm here, I get to make my favorite point about this:

Notice that the iTunes ads show people singing their *own* favorite songs. The buymusic ad shows people singing "Superfreak" -- because it's their favorite song? I don't *think* so. It's because they were told, "You'll be singing Superfreak, and your check is in the mail".

iTMS ad: all about individuals
buymusic ad: all about conforming

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Re: Buy Music copying from Apple...

Originally posted by idea_hamster
iTMS ad: all about individuals
buymusic ad: all about conforming

-idea_hamster

I just love faking out the site with Safari maquerading as MSIEWin6.0 :D

Especially the other day I was Hot-Spotting with my 12PB at a Starbucks and a fellow with a chip on his shoulder though he'd come up to me with what he though was Mac-damning evidence:

"So that's a Mac huh?" He approached.

Apparently he saw the glowing Apple on the back of the screen - this is already going to be good.

Supressing a sarcastic response, instead I said, "Yep!"

"Do you like it?" He seemed sincere.

"It's slick as hell." I answered.

"Well, it's too bad you can't use BuyMusic." He sneered.

I stopped typing and looked up, and with the most 'honest to gosh' confused look, I replied, "Why would I want to?"

"Because it's got good music."

I actually laughed out loud. Shaking my head, I said "Wow. Yes, I can access BuyMusic, but no, I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy there due to the fact that I can't transfer the proprietary music files music off the computer. Besides, I've got iTunes."

Momentary blank stare. "But only Windows machines with WMV9 and IE6 can access it."

My response, "Well you're wrong."

I showed him, then said "Now go away, my coffee is getting cold."

"Sure thing" he said, and left.

Clearly this fellow was quite the dolt. I didn't even have coffee to get cold.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I know it's been posted here before, but tell me again how to have Safari masquerade as IE.

-Daveman Deluxe

In the terminal, type (case sensitive!):

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

This toggles the Debug Menu to it's on state (ergo the "1") in the command line.

The next time you launch Safari, the "Debug" menu should appear. Change the "User Agent" to MS EI6. and away you go!

Actually, it's a great way to fake any marketing tracker out.

It's not a hack of Safari, but of it's prefernces - you don't have to worry about corrupting anything.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Good story patrick0brien. I remember there was a thread a while ago with the title "Stupidest thing a window user has asked you" (or something to that effect...), and all the stories were golden.

The cold coffee comment was a great closer, too!

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Re: Re: Re: Buy Music copying from Apple...

Originally posted by patrick0brien
"But only Windows machines with WMV9 and IE6 can access it."
"Well you're wrong."
Oh, I sooo needed to hear that! That tale just warms my heart :D -- I'm sure that he's used that crap on other Mac users and gotten some "who-cares" look, walking away all smug. I'm glad to hear that you didn't let him off easy. :cool:

In fact, I might print that post out and have my mommy read it to me at bedtime!

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Cool trick with Safari! Apple should have that preference visible all the time. I tried loading buymusic.com without the trick and it will load. You just have to hit stop before it finishes. I like how the site says: "In order to take <b>full advantage</b> of BuyMusic.com's offerings you must be on a Windows Operating System using Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher." You can't take advantage of the site's offerings <b>at all</b> without Windows and IE 5!

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by PowerBook User
You can't take advantage of the site's offerings <b>at all</b> without Windows and IE 5!

-PowerBook User

And that's by design, not by technical limitation.

That's why it angers me.

BTW- Use Brackets [], not Braces <> :D

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Daveman Deluxe

In the terminal, type (case sensitive!):

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

This toggles the Debug Menu to it's on state (ergo the "1") in the command line.

The next time you launch Safari, the "Debug" menu should appear. Change the "User Agent" to MS EI6. and away you go!

Another simple way to fake out BuyMusic is to uncheck "Enable Javascript" in the Safari>Preferences>Security menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.