Buy Nano for 4 GB now or wait months for 6GB/8GB?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by abestar87, Sep 18, 2005.

1. abestar87 macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005
    I own a 20 GB 3G Ipod and I've had it for over a year (unluckily I got it the day before the 4G came out)It still works fine and I haven't had really any problems with it. I wasn't even thinking about buying a new mp3 player, until i encountered the Nano. Should i wait until my older ipod breaks down and then get a nano which may have higher capacity, or should i just get the nano now. I know it the answer souinds obvious, but i am really tempted to get the nano now. And also how long do the 3G ipods typically last?
  2. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    There won't be higher capacity nanos until the second half of 2006.
  3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    The way i see it the 2 or 4 gigs of storage on a nano will always be a compromise and wont be able to fit your whole collection, unless you have a very small music library...

So go for the nano now........

Ask yourself if you really see an extra 2gb of storage as very valuable; when the next gen Nano iPod gets released as they are likely to be 4 and 6 gb models not 6 and 8 gb models.....

They are a good buy now and will probably not be updated for about 8-10 months,

4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Going to an iPod to the Nano will mean a huge drop in storage.

I still have buckets of space on my 3G 40GB, and couldn't imagine not having all my songs, podcasts and intresting videos and all the other weird stuff i store on my ipod.
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeah the Nano would be untouched by Apple until well into 2006. However, there's always the possiblity that the regular iPod could move to say 10GB - 20GB flash in 2006/2007 eh?
  6. number9 macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2004
    If you don't need to have all of your music on you, then go ahed and get the nano. I have a 1st gen 4GB Mini, which I bought in July of 2004. In the past week and half though, the battery, decided to stop holding more than 10 minutes of charge at a time. I was thinking about getting a new 6GB mini, but I thought I'd wait and see if anything new came out at the special event, and of course the Nano was introduced. I wasn't sure at first if I still wanted 4GB, but after some thinking I came to this conclusion. My mini still works perrfectly fine if I have it plugged into the wall adapter, or if its plugged in in my car, through one of the Belkin tunebase FM's.

I actually have just over 10GB of music, but I relaized I won't ever need to listen to all of it. Heck for the last 3 or 4 days alone, I've been listening to playlist of only about 100 songs constantly. Other than for use in the car, my mini kept me from getting extremely bored at the gym. An hour or so on a bike or elliptical cross trainer gets really boring with no music. So instead of getting the 4GB, i decided to actually get the 2GB nano. I figure that if I leave my mini in the car, I won't have to update that as often sinc it has more capacity, and as it is i only have like 3.5 gigs on it anyways that i listen to. Then since the nano would be used for just walking around or at the gym, I'm not really gonna need more than 500 songs to listen to at a time. Plus, with an edu discount, the 180 was more appealing than 229, since im a college student, and now with a car on campus, insurance, and high gas prices, I don't have a ton of money to spend on "frivilous" things like an iPod.
  7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i'm kind of in the same quandary. i have a 6gb mini that i love but am really tempted by the nano. my mini is pretty much full with music, audio books, and podcasts, and going to the 4gb nano would be hard for me. so, i'm trying to hold back until the nano capacities are increased. i'd almost definltely move to a nano when they reach 6gb, and absolutely move to one if they read a higher capacity than that. but i know trying to be patient will be hard - i might just have to avoid apple stores until then so i'm not tempted seeing the shiny pretty nanos within easy reach...
  8. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    I disagree. I think we may see some revisions to them around March next year. Not sure exactly what, but apple need to keep changing the range every 6 months or so or they will be caught up, and apple will want to stay ahead.

If the video iPod comes out sometime between now and then, (with October 7th being mentioned), I would expect a joint announcement saying the iPod video will drop in price, (with most included accessories being removed too), and the nano will change slightly along with it. They did that with the Photo and mini ranges this year and I can see them doing that a lot in the future. Announce new line at a time and then change the lot in one fell swoop. That way, they show they are not standing still.
  9. abestar87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2005
  10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004