Buy New iMac now or wait...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EdT, Mar 11, 2007.

1. EdT macrumors regular

Mar 11, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a desktop iMac, probably either the 20 or the 24 inch. I have had Wintel machines since I left the Amiga in the early '90s and don't really know much about Macs. But my desktop machine is 4 years old and I will NOT buy a machine with Vista on it, and I don't want to orphan myself by buying XP and having support for it discontinued by MS. My primary usage will be amature photo and video editing. Looking at the iMac Buying Guide on this site, it recommends holding off buying the iMacs because of updates. Other than the Leopard OS, are there any other improvements that people think or know of for the iMacs? There are lots of threads about laptops discussing these issues where they mention new chipsets/processors but I didn't see one for desktops. If there is one, sorry for the repeat.

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    Your making a poor choice in my opinion. The computer itself is a good buy, but plan on shelling out AT LEAST $100 more on software, but thats BEST CASE, your more likely to shell out over $200 for Leopard and iLife 07, and your going to want them one way or another. Also, some of the hardware enhancements rumored to come, are in my opinion worth waiting for as well, but not as much as the software is.

If it was not for the software, it would be an OK choice.

(same post I made from another thread on similar topic)
  3. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
    I would wait for the release of Leopard at this point.
  4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    Wait For Santa Rosa In Next iMac Revision + Leopard & iLife '07

Unless you can't live without it, waiting for the next iMac refresh will be way worth it. Plus we might also get a new line using the 4 core Kentsfield in a mini-tower once Leopard ships. So iMac may not be your only choice in that sub $2k price point.
    Red Flag on why you want it. 2GHz Mac Pro is only $1899 refurb. 2.66GHz Mac Pro refurbs are only $2199. After the dust settles you might want to seriously consider a 4 core Mac for video and photo work. They are not necessarily going to cost you more than today's iMacs. I am very anti-iMac. It's in my boiling blood. :D
  5. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    Right now unless you desperately need a new computer now I would wait.