Buy new iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Aug 23, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Ughhh, I went to use my iPod today and it doesn't even turn on, even when plugged in with the A/C adapter or if it is plugged in via FW to my PowerBook. It is a 20gb iPod 3rd generation for the past month or too the screen has been very faint even with the contrast all the way up, the battery lasted about 10min, and it froze alot- even after reseting & restoring.

I am wondering, should I bother getting a new iPod. I mean, I want to get one because it is great for transfering large files and in the last few weeks of its life I actually did use it fairly offen in my car.

Again, I would like one, but my $450 iPod just died and to me, spending another $300+ on a new iPod seems somewhat risky and/or stupid. My 20gb lasted me 9-10 months and it was 2nd replacement iPod after the original one I bought.

Is now a good time to buy?

2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Wait until Sept. 20th for MacWorld Paris. I have a feeling that iPod updates will occur then.

3. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I think so too. I also think the new 5G ipods will have video (duh). :D

4. federalists macrumors member

this actually just happened to me too. luckily, i bought it with my amex card and they are crediting my account so i can buy a new one as it was just out of apple's warranty.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my 3g ipod is dying and i want a new ipod but i'm holding off for a new revision... come on pairs...

6. hilbert888 macrumors newbie

could it really be true?

is this ipod update rumor got an real backbone to it? is it like an ipod mini and shuffle update? or is the rumor pertaining to the regular ipod as well?

7. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

all 3 lines of the iPod could be updated, who knows what's going on behind closed doors @ apple.

Rumor has it 8gb Mini's are gunna be out soon, and the Video iPod rumor mill has been firing up again.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd say wait until Paris unless you can put up with a Shuffle which most likely won't change (dramatically at least). However, if you need more space for the file transferring, then fair enough. :)

9. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

It's always good to wait for Apple Expo's before you buy anything.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If this is true, I may have to bash my head in.

*just bought a 4G, 30-gig photo as early decemberween pressie.*

11. MacVM macrumors member

So exactly how long are ipods supposed to freaking last?!? There's is no way I'm paying for another ipod in a year! Hundreds of dollars for something that lasts 12 months is soooo not worth it...

12. londy macrumors member

well applecare would probably help your ipod to live longer. but i've had my 3G 10GB pod since jan '04 and i've had zero problems. any difficulty i've had has been with my janky hp pavilion.

i look forward to having seamless connectivity between the pod and the ibook.

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Seems the 3rd Gens arent very solid. x_x

My 2nd Gen is going strong.

14. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Wait - so you bought your iPod 9-10 months ago?
    In that case, it's still under warranty - they carry a 1-year warranty.
    If I misunderstood your purchase timeline, I apologize.

For what it's worth, I don't think they're all made that poorly.
    I have a 2nd Gen that I bought in 2003 which is still going strong.

Good luck!

15. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

No, I bought my iPod in December 2003, the first one broke the next day, the 2nd broke in september 2004 and now I have my 3rd broken one that is not under warranty anymore.

I think the original iPods were built the best, my friend has one and it must be 4 years old and its still running fine.

16. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

OK, now I understand - sorry about that.
    Hopefully Paris will bring you something worth buying!