buy new powerbook or wait for next revision?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnsnow, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. johnsnow macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    #1
    currently have a G3 800Mhz ibook.

    bought a 12" powerbook (w/100Gb harddrive, more ram) and they just emailed that it will take another week now for it to be shipped. they also said that if you prefer you can cancel the order, and that if supplies change the order may ship sooner.

    if supplies are low, could this mean a newer revision of the powerbook soon? In your opinion, is it worth cancelling the order and waiting for the next revision powerbook. the ibook is quick, but not always quick (eg. for garageband, powerpoint). I may be able to endure the wait if it's just a few months. But on the other hand, newer versions of the ibook may come out soon, and it would perhaps be a good idea to unload the ibook now.

    any idea as to when the next revision of the powerbook is released?

    any advise would be helpful. thanks in advance.
     
  2. Willy S macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    #2
    :eek:

    What´s with Apple supplies these days? They won´t either ship any Minis next 7 days at least.
     
  3. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #3
    It could be a good indication that a new model is coming out soon, but not necessarily true.

    If you can wait a few months, I think the possibility of a new model in that time is pretty likely.

    I'm assuming there is a fair chance we will see Intel PB's in January at whatever the event is then. I think there should be one release in between then. Halfway between now and then is about September. So there you go: new PB's in September.
     
  4. slipper macrumors 68000

    slipper

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2003
    #4
    i personally think its safe to buy a powerbook today. i had a 12" 800mhz G4 iBook and the upgrade to my 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook was a significant upgrade in speed. considering you are also upgrading from a G3 to G4, it'll be a huge increase.
     
  5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #5
    I agree that there will be one more PB revision before we see Intel-based PB's (probably announced at MWSF '06, and will ship in late Jan/early Feb). My guess is we'll see updated PB's and iBook's in July/Aug, right before the Fall school season starts. September would be a little too late and Apple would miss out on a lot of sales as a result.

    July/Aug updates and then 5-6 months later, Intel PB's (and iBooks?).
     
  6. OKComputer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2002
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #6
    Im in the same boat. I really want to pick up a new computer this month while my EDU discount is still in effect. (im done with school after summer.) I know I want a PB but here is what the apple product line is saying to me:

    ibooks - overdue for an update but an update would put them on par with powerbooks. So it is my opinion that when an update does occur it will be a sweep across the entire portables line.

    I do believe that another PPC update is due and i believe it WILL come before major buying begins for the next academic year.

    Im not that patient so I may just buy one anyway regardless of pending updates! :)
     
  7. OKComputer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2002
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #7
    Another brain twister for you-

    Do I get a 15 inch PB 1.67 ($2099)

    or

    12 inch pb 1.5 w/ 20 inch alum display (1399 + 699)
     
  8. Willy S macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    #8
    wait!

    Apple is about to introduce new hardware so if you can wait, do so.
     
  9. drbrog macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #9
    I'd get the 15 inch powerbook (in fact, I did. Mine is arriving later this week). Next year you can get the 23 inch display for $699. :D
     
  10. johnsnow thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    #10
    only minor upgrade?

    thanks for the replies. good arguments for keeping the order, but also good ones for canceling and waiting.

    given that apple's upgrade for the mobile line are often small speed bumps, what kind of speed bump might you expect?

    i'm guessing, 1.67GHz for the 12inch and 1.87Ghz for the 15inch powerbook. is this reasonable?
     
  11. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #11
    Well, here's my situation...

    I have a Rev A 12" PB. I've been waiting patiently for a G5 PB. I had planned that I would make my next upgrade with that step up. Now, as we know that the next big step up will be to Intel, I'm thinking that I want to upgrade now, rather than wait the 6-12 months for the Intel PBs. Why, might you ask? Well, I'm a LONG time user of Mac (going back to the 80s), and I have a not-insubstantial amount of legacy software. As it seems that the Intel Macs will not support any form of Classic environment (or, at best, "it's certainly not very high on the priority list").

    So, I want a computer that will support my older software, even if I only use it once in a while. Therefore, rather than waiting for the new Intel PBs, I need to get a G4 PB.

    Well, now that the precursory explanation is done, what do you think? I'm looking at the 1.5GHz 15" as the computer to buy. Any further suggestions?
     
  12. OKComputer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2002
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #12
    the 1.5 15 inch is an OK buy, but the 1.67 and superdrive is a much better buy if you can cough it up.
     
  13. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #13
    Oh, I forgot to mention that. I have an external DVD drive, so getting a Superdrive isn't all that high on my priority list, at least for now. In another 18-24 months, when there's 64x DL DVD-RW internal laptop drive, and I've moved farther away from my classic apps, then I'll get a new Intel PB with a Superdrive. So, the 1.67GHz PB would only give me a little more speed. Is there really any other reason to get it instead of the 1.5GHz that would make it worth the money?
     
  14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #14
    Option to bump the vram from 64MB to 128MB.
     
  15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

    CmdrLaForge

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2003
    Location:
    around the world
    #15

    Hi,

    I am somehow in the same boat as you are. I have some apps that only run on a G4 like Final Cut Express and Motion and I really don't want to buy them again right now. Even so there are newer versions out. Thats why I will get a G4 Powerbook. But I will wait for the next revision because I don't need it right know. I have to do some serious work starting around Oct.

    My expectation is that there will be only 1 more PPC PB revision. Reason for that is that the first Intel based Mac will be released in about a year. Last PB update was end January. Given a 9 month cycle - would perfect fit with one more update due around september/october timeframe.
    My guess for that last revision is:
    - 7448 CPU @ 1.8 GHz
    - X700 VRAM 128
    - 100 gig drive @ 7200
    - dual layer superdrives
    - released latest in October
    same design, screen etc.

    I don't see the MPC8641 because it would need a new board. Makes probably no sense for one revision. If I am wrong and it features the MPC8641 then this won't be the last PB with a PPC. Same reason as above. New board design makes only sense for more than one revision.

    On the other hand to keep sales going until the first Intel PB the overall package should be attractive. Thats why I don't see the same graphics as the last 1.5 years.

    Because I am doing video editing I want the superdrive and I expect the next revision to have dual-layer support.

    Cheers
    LaForge
     
  16. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #16
    And that's what finally sold me on the 1.67GHz model. If I'm going to be sticking with this machine for the next few years, I want the VRAM. I remember a few years ago when I thought I'd be fine with 32MB for the foreseeable future. Now I've had several run-ins with not having enough VRAM. So, I'm maxing out.

    That would be a pretty lack-luster update. A 7% speed boost. Same amount of VRAM. The 7200RPM 100GB disk doesn't exist yet (at least I haven't seen it), and Apple already offers the 5400RPM 100GB disk. Then a DL DVD drive, which you can already buy for about $150 and install. For the most part, Apple could offer this upgrade right now (except the faster HD, and perhaps the faster processor). I don't see the need to wait.
     
  17. lopresmb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #17
    I'd get the powerbook now if you need it, as there doesn't seem to be a revision immanent, or even in the near future.....

    --Also, check the forums, there have to be about 500 similar threads as this one, people have written a lot before
     
  18. mac@newlife macrumors newbie

    mac@newlife

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #18

    I believe that apple will definately update the PB line within this year. However, I think that upgrade would be a minor change such as a little bit more Mhz, FSB, or X (CD drive). Therefore, I think it's not worth to wait for the next PowerPC PB line upgrade. Unless u wait for the new Intel PB line, it's worth to wait for it. However, it won't show up not until at least the next 1.5 year.
     
  19. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

    CmdrLaForge

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2003
    Location:
    around the world
    #19
    Snowy - you are right - if you need a machine now - get one. Waiting for new hardware is almost never worth it.

    I don't need one right now (it is summer!) I am fine if I get my next Mac in October or November. That's why I wait.

    The 7200RPM 100GB is announced - not shipping as far as I know. iDVD does not work with external drives (w/o hack) Thats why I would prefer an internal working solution. I will use this machine for video editing.

    The CPU upgrade is a joke - but it has a 200MHz FSB in comparison to 167MHz.

    Overall it would be a nice upgrade - but not a really great one.
     
  20. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #20

    Actually, the PowerBooks are likely to be one of the early Intel conversion lines. Apple knows that the PowerBook line is suffering compared to Pro laptop lines in the Windows world. So, getting the power boost of the Intel mobile processors will likely be high on the priority list for Apple. If I had to guess about the order and approximate dates for the release of the Intel based Macs, I'd guess at something like this:

    Late February/Early March 2006: Mac Mini and eMac
    Late April/Early May 2006: iBook and PowerBook
    July 2006: iMac
    Late September/Early October 2006: Power Mac
    January 2007: xServe

    (Please note, this is just a guess, based on what Steve had to say and what would seem to be a reasonable timeline. I have no inside information.)

    If the actual release schedule is anything like what I've guessed at, then we'll see a PowerBook update within about a year, not 1.5 years. By 1.5 years, we should see all of the Mac lines converted.
     
  21. twinsen macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
  22. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

    Snowy_River

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Corvallis, OR
    #22
    You're right. If you don't need it now, it's always good to wait.

    Now, just to correct a couple of misconceptions, iDVD 05 will right to a DVD image, which can then be burned to an external drive. Not quite as nice as having it burn directly, but hey, it works! Also, the $150 8xDVD-R DL drive I mentioned actually is an internal drive and would be supported by iDVD. If installed by an Apple authorized tech, it wouldn't even void your warranty. All that said, I'm actually not sure that the current drives don't support DL burning. If they don't, they might with a firmware update. I'll have to get over to the Apple Store and ask one of the techs there.

    Anyway, good luck with your upcoming purchase!
     
  23. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #23
    Apple never updates during big promotions, and right now, they won't be updating until the Student Union promotion runs out, at least
     
  24. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #24
    btw -

    I just upgraded from a 1 ghz to a 1.67 ghz and I'm DEEPLY impressed

    the editing on FCP has been solid ---- and the handling of RT effects is MUCH BETTER --- HUGE differences all across the board

    even though its just a .67 ghz difference, it feels like a difference of 3 times that

    I highly recommend the current 17" pb for editing --- and yes, 128 vram is a very good idea
     
  25. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

    cooknwitha

    Joined:
    May 5, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #25
    I ordered a 12" PB SD with 100GB HD and it took longer to build than expected but was finally shipped yesterday. I'd say there's just a supply delay.

    Plus if there are updates, I doubt they'd be too exciting.
     

Share This Page