Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsnow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
currently have a G3 800Mhz ibook.

bought a 12" powerbook (w/100Gb harddrive, more ram) and they just emailed that it will take another week now for it to be shipped. they also said that if you prefer you can cancel the order, and that if supplies change the order may ship sooner.

if supplies are low, could this mean a newer revision of the powerbook soon? In your opinion, is it worth cancelling the order and waiting for the next revision powerbook. the ibook is quick, but not always quick (eg. for garageband, powerpoint). I may be able to endure the wait if it's just a few months. But on the other hand, newer versions of the ibook may come out soon, and it would perhaps be a good idea to unload the ibook now.

any idea as to when the next revision of the powerbook is released?

any advise would be helpful. thanks in advance.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
:eek:

What´s with Apple supplies these days? They won´t either ship any Minis next 7 days at least.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
It could be a good indication that a new model is coming out soon, but not necessarily true.

If you can wait a few months, I think the possibility of a new model in that time is pretty likely.

I'm assuming there is a fair chance we will see Intel PB's in January at whatever the event is then. I think there should be one release in between then. Halfway between now and then is about September. So there you go: new PB's in September.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
i personally think its safe to buy a powerbook today. i had a 12" 800mhz G4 iBook and the upgrade to my 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook was a significant upgrade in speed. considering you are also upgrading from a G3 to G4, it'll be a huge increase.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
tsk said:
It could be a good indication that a new model is coming out soon, but not necessarily true.

If you can wait a few months, I think the possibility of a new model in that time is pretty likely.

I'm assuming there is a fair chance we will see Intel PB's in January at whatever the event is then. I think there should be one release in between then. Halfway between now and then is about September. So there you go: new PB's in September.

I agree that there will be one more PB revision before we see Intel-based PB's (probably announced at MWSF '06, and will ship in late Jan/early Feb). My guess is we'll see updated PB's and iBook's in July/Aug, right before the Fall school season starts. September would be a little too late and Apple would miss out on a lot of sales as a result.

July/Aug updates and then 5-6 months later, Intel PB's (and iBooks?).

OKComputer

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
Im in the same boat. I really want to pick up a new computer this month while my EDU discount is still in effect. (im done with school after summer.) I know I want a PB but here is what the apple product line is saying to me:

ibooks - overdue for an update but an update would put them on par with powerbooks. So it is my opinion that when an update does occur it will be a sweep across the entire portables line.

I do believe that another PPC update is due and i believe it WILL come before major buying begins for the next academic year.

Im not that patient so I may just buy one anyway regardless of pending updates! :)

drbrog

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Chicago
I'd get the 15 inch powerbook (in fact, I did. Mine is arriving later this week). Next year you can get the 23 inch display for $699. :D

johnsnow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
only minor upgrade?

thanks for the replies. good arguments for keeping the order, but also good ones for canceling and waiting.

given that apple's upgrade for the mobile line are often small speed bumps, what kind of speed bump might you expect?

i'm guessing, 1.67GHz for the 12inch and 1.87Ghz for the 15inch powerbook. is this reasonable?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, here's my situation...

I have a Rev A 12" PB. I've been waiting patiently for a G5 PB. I had planned that I would make my next upgrade with that step up. Now, as we know that the next big step up will be to Intel, I'm thinking that I want to upgrade now, rather than wait the 6-12 months for the Intel PBs. Why, might you ask? Well, I'm a LONG time user of Mac (going back to the 80s), and I have a not-insubstantial amount of legacy software. As it seems that the Intel Macs will not support any form of Classic environment (or, at best, "it's certainly not very high on the priority list").

So, I want a computer that will support my older software, even if I only use it once in a while. Therefore, rather than waiting for the new Intel PBs, I need to get a G4 PB.

Well, now that the precursory explanation is done, what do you think? I'm looking at the 1.5GHz 15" as the computer to buy. Any further suggestions?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
OKComputer said:
the 1.5 15 inch is an OK buy, but the 1.67 and superdrive is a much better buy if you can cough it up.

Oh, I forgot to mention that. I have an external DVD drive, so getting a Superdrive isn't all that high on my priority list, at least for now. In another 18-24 months, when there's 64x DL DVD-RW internal laptop drive, and I've moved farther away from my classic apps, then I'll get a new Intel PB with a Superdrive. So, the 1.67GHz PB would only give me a little more speed. Is there really any other reason to get it instead of the 1.5GHz that would make it worth the money?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Snowy_River said:
Oh, I forgot to mention that. I have an external DVD drive, so getting a Superdrive isn't all that high on my priority list, at least for now. In another 18-24 months, when there's 64x DL DVD-RW internal laptop drive, and I've moved farther away from my classic apps, then I'll get a new Intel PB with a Superdrive. So, the 1.67GHz PB would only give me a little more speed. Is there really any other reason to get it instead of the 1.5GHz that would make it worth the money?

Option to bump the vram from 64MB to 128MB.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Snowy_River said:
Well, here's my situation...
So, I want a computer that will support my older software, even if I only use it once in a while. Therefore, rather than waiting for the new Intel PBs, I need to get a G4 PB.
Well, now that the precursory explanation is done, what do you think? I'm looking at the 1.5GHz 15" as the computer to buy. Any further suggestions?

Hi,

I am somehow in the same boat as you are. I have some apps that only run on a G4 like Final Cut Express and Motion and I really don't want to buy them again right now. Even so there are newer versions out. Thats why I will get a G4 Powerbook. But I will wait for the next revision because I don't need it right know. I have to do some serious work starting around Oct.

My expectation is that there will be only 1 more PPC PB revision. Reason for that is that the first Intel based Mac will be released in about a year. Last PB update was end January. Given a 9 month cycle - would perfect fit with one more update due around september/october timeframe.
My guess for that last revision is:
- 7448 CPU @ 1.8 GHz
- X700 VRAM 128
- 100 gig drive @ 7200
- dual layer superdrives
- released latest in October
same design, screen etc.

I don't see the MPC8641 because it would need a new board. Makes probably no sense for one revision. If I am wrong and it features the MPC8641 then this won't be the last PB with a PPC. Same reason as above. New board design makes only sense for more than one revision.

On the other hand to keep sales going until the first Intel PB the overall package should be attractive. Thats why I don't see the same graphics as the last 1.5 years.

Because I am doing video editing I want the superdrive and I expect the next revision to have dual-layer support.

Cheers
LaForge

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
sw1tcher said:
Option to bump the vram from 64MB to 128MB.

And that's what finally sold me on the 1.67GHz model. If I'm going to be sticking with this machine for the next few years, I want the VRAM. I remember a few years ago when I thought I'd be fine with 32MB for the foreseeable future. Now I've had several run-ins with not having enough VRAM. So, I'm maxing out.

CmdrLaForge said:
My guess for that last revision is:
- 7448 CPU @ 1.8 GHz
- X700 VRAM 128
- 100 gig drive @ 7200
- dual layer superdrives
- released latest in October
same design, screen etc.

That would be a pretty lack-luster update. A 7% speed boost. Same amount of VRAM. The 7200RPM 100GB disk doesn't exist yet (at least I haven't seen it), and Apple already offers the 5400RPM 100GB disk. Then a DL DVD drive, which you can already buy for about $150 and install. For the most part, Apple could offer this upgrade right now (except the faster HD, and perhaps the faster processor). I don't see the need to wait.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I'd get the powerbook now if you need it, as there doesn't seem to be a revision immanent, or even in the near future.....

--Also, check the forums, there have to be about 500 similar threads as this one, people have written a lot before

mac@newlife

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2005
johnsnow said:
currently have a G3 800Mhz ibook.

bought a 12" powerbook (w/100Gb harddrive, more ram) and they just emailed that it will take another week now for it to be shipped. they also said that if you prefer you can cancel the order, and that if supplies change the order may ship sooner.

if supplies are low, could this mean a newer revision of the powerbook soon? In your opinion, is it worth cancelling the order and waiting for the next revision powerbook. the ibook is quick, but not always quick (eg. for garageband, powerpoint). I may be able to endure the wait if it's just a few months. But on the other hand, newer versions of the ibook may come out soon, and it would perhaps be a good idea to unload the ibook now.

any idea as to when the next revision of the powerbook is released?

any advise would be helpful. thanks in advance.

I believe that apple will definately update the PB line within this year. However, I think that upgrade would be a minor change such as a little bit more Mhz, FSB, or X (CD drive). Therefore, I think it's not worth to wait for the next PowerPC PB line upgrade. Unless u wait for the new Intel PB line, it's worth to wait for it. However, it won't show up not until at least the next 1.5 year.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Snowy_River said:
That would be a pretty lack-luster update. A 7% speed boost. Same amount of VRAM. The 7200RPM 100GB disk doesn't exist yet (at least I haven't seen it), and Apple already offers the 5400RPM 100GB disk. Then a DL DVD drive, which you can already buy for about $150 and install. For the most part, Apple could offer this upgrade right now (except the faster HD, and perhaps the faster processor). I don't see the need to wait.

Snowy - you are right - if you need a machine now - get one. Waiting for new hardware is almost never worth it.

I don't need one right now (it is summer!) I am fine if I get my next Mac in October or November. That's why I wait.

The 7200RPM 100GB is announced - not shipping as far as I know. iDVD does not work with external drives (w/o hack) Thats why I would prefer an internal working solution. I will use this machine for video editing.

The CPU upgrade is a joke - but it has a 200MHz FSB in comparison to 167MHz.

Overall it would be a nice upgrade - but not a really great one.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
mac@newlife said:
I believe that apple will definately update the PB line within this year. However, I think that upgrade would be a minor change such as a little bit more Mhz, FSB, or X (CD drive). Therefore, I think it's not worth to wait for the next PowerPC PB line upgrade. Unless u wait for the new Intel PB line, it's worth to wait for it. However, it won't show up not until at least the next 1.5 year.

Actually, the PowerBooks are likely to be one of the early Intel conversion lines. Apple knows that the PowerBook line is suffering compared to Pro laptop lines in the Windows world. So, getting the power boost of the Intel mobile processors will likely be high on the priority list for Apple. If I had to guess about the order and approximate dates for the release of the Intel based Macs, I'd guess at something like this:

Late February/Early March 2006: Mac Mini and eMac
Late April/Early May 2006: iBook and PowerBook
July 2006: iMac
Late September/Early October 2006: Power Mac
January 2007: xServe

(Please note, this is just a guess, based on what Steve had to say and what would seem to be a reasonable timeline. I have no inside information.)

If the actual release schedule is anything like what I've guessed at, then we'll see a PowerBook update within about a year, not 1.5 years. By 1.5 years, we should see all of the Mac lines converted.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
CmdrLaForge said:
Snowy - you are right - if you need a machine now - get one. Waiting for new hardware is almost never worth it.

I don't need one right now (it is summer!) I am fine if I get my next Mac in October or November. That's why I wait.

The 7200RPM 100GB is announced - not shipping as far as I know. iDVD does not work with external drives (w/o hack) Thats why I would prefer an internal working solution. I will use this machine for video editing.

The CPU upgrade is a joke - but it has a 200MHz FSB in comparison to 167MHz.

Overall it would be a nice upgrade - but not a really great one.

You're right. If you don't need it now, it's always good to wait.

Now, just to correct a couple of misconceptions, iDVD 05 will right to a DVD image, which can then be burned to an external drive. Not quite as nice as having it burn directly, but hey, it works! Also, the $150 8xDVD-R DL drive I mentioned actually is an internal drive and would be supported by iDVD. If installed by an Apple authorized tech, it wouldn't even void your warranty. All that said, I'm actually not sure that the current drives don't support DL burning. If they don't, they might with a firmware update. I'll have to get over to the Apple Store and ask one of the techs there.

Anyway, good luck with your upcoming purchase!

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple never updates during big promotions, and right now, they won't be updating until the Student Union promotion runs out, at least

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
btw -

I just upgraded from a 1 ghz to a 1.67 ghz and I'm DEEPLY impressed

the editing on FCP has been solid ---- and the handling of RT effects is MUCH BETTER --- HUGE differences all across the board

even though its just a .67 ghz difference, it feels like a difference of 3 times that

I highly recommend the current 17" pb for editing --- and yes, 128 vram is a very good idea

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I ordered a 12" PB SD with 100GB HD and it took longer to build than expected but was finally shipped yesterday. I'd say there's just a supply delay.

Plus if there are updates, I doubt they'd be too exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.