Buy Nothing Day 2006

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gekko513, Nov 20, 2006.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Are anyone going to celecrate the world's Buy Nothing Day on Saturday? I just heard about it through a campaign against overconsumption that's about to start in Norway. I like the idea, as a way to heighten awareness of how wasteful and unsustainable our consumer habits are.

Video for North Americans

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think it's kind of as pointless as "Don't Buy Petrol/Gas For Your Car" Day.

If you don't buy it today, you'll just buy it tomorrow. The only things where this probably doesn't apply is in the food industry, which would be affected, I would guess.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I think it's more to make the point about overconsumption than to actually hurt companies. If it raises the issue in some peoples minds then it achieves something.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^What does it achieve? People will buy what they want tomorrow and move on.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People are still going to buy whatever they want on that day if they want it and move on. It would be nice if it was a large scale thing and a large enough amount of people did do something, it would be a huge impact to everyone whether they bought the next day or not. But it isn't. They're just hoping they can get more and more people every year and turn it into something. Which, without a lot more national and global awareness, as well as people actually caring, isn't going to happen.

It's a small, well meaning gesture, that unfortunately will be absolutely meaningless.

6. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

I think that's a very simplistic view of how the world works.

7. dcv macrumors G3

No shopping? For a whole day? :eek:

*runs away screaming*

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'll just have 'National Talk like a Pirate day' and be done, thank you. :D

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I won't buy anything, but then I don't really have any money to buy things with.:eek:

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, since I'm constantly broke, almost every day is Buy Nothing Day... so what's another Saturday...?

Saving up for that E-400, you know... and I doubt that's in stores by Saturday... :D

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The only reason I'll be participating is because I refuse to set foot in retail stores the weekend after thanksgiving.

12. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I've been suppporting Buy Nothing Day for several years.
    Overconsumption is a growing problem, and BND is a strong reminder for me.

13. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Each and every one of my friends who is big on "Buy Nothing Day" (even to the extent that they pass out flyers about it in malls, etc) is the type of person who has an apt. loaded with unnecessary crap, loves to shop on days other than "Buy Nothing Day", drives a nice car, enjoys wearing nice, fashionable clothes, etc.

Those types of people passing out pointless "Buy Nothing" flyers right before returning to their own shopping the very next day just make me want to puke cause the whole thing is so pointless. It's a complete joke IMHO.

I have my own rule regarding buying pointless gifts. It is this: Unless I am buying someone something of real value that I know they'll use for sure (e.g., expensive watch, LCD TV, Mac, iPod), I ONLY buy people things that will be GONE after a while, and will NOT sit around littering these people's apts. or end up in landfills. That is, I give things that will be eaten up or used up, like cosmetics, tea, travel. Things that will be used up and are then GONE, like chocolate or soap or hand lotion.

I also give gift certificates that people can use for anything they like. My son's teenage babysitter got her first car and I gave her gift certificates from a GAS STATION so she'd have gas money, and she loved it.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if the purpose of the day was to say, on that very day, that you would choose something you really want to buy, and promise to never buy it (not on that day, or on any other day), then I think it would mean something. It means you don't support buying stuff you want, but don't really need, since you promise to never buy it.

Waiting to buy that item the next day is a bit silly.