Buy now or later? Here's your answer....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by absolut_mac, Jan 11, 2005.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

What is it with all these "Should I buy it now, or wait until the next upgrade?"

To me that's almost like saying, well I have this migraine that's killing me, should I take the Tylenol with codeine now, or wait until (insert name of company) come out with their new stronger medication?!?!?

Okay, I admit that the above analogy is a little extreme, but let's be realistic folks. Electronics are continually being upgraded and improved all the time. This upgrade/improvement cycle is non-stop and is happening at an absolutely dizzying pace.

So if you need something, why wait? If you wait 6 months for the next upgrade, in another 6 months there'll be another one, and then you'll be sorry that you didn't wait a year instead. You'll get caught up in the never ending waiting-for-the-next-upgrade-cycle.

Personally, if I need something now, I don't mind waiting a few weeks if I know that an upgrade is coming out shortly. But I honestly think that it's silly to wait more than a month or two at most, unless you know that the new product has some feature that you absolutely have to have, while the current products lack them.

So, I can feel the heat from here - all those dollars (Euros, pounds etc) burning holes in your wallet just screaming to be spent :D

In the same vein, here is a good joke about waiting too long.....

The Helicopter Ride

Tom and his wife Susan went to the state fair every year, and every year Tom would say, “Susan, I’d like to ride in that helicopter.”

Susan would always reply, “I know Tom, but that helicopter ride is fifty dollars and fifty dollars is fifty dollars.”

One year Susan and Tom went to the fair and Tom said “Susan, I’m 85 years old. If I don’t ride that helicopter, I might never get another chance.”

Susan replied, “Tom that helicopter ride is fifty dollars, and fifty dollars is fifty dollars.”

The pilot overheard the couple and said, “Folks, I’ll make you a deal. I’ll take both of you for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and not say a word, I won’t charge you. But if you say one word, it’s fifty dollars.”

Tom and Susan agreed and up they went. The pilot did all kinds of fancy maneuvers, but not a word was heard. He did his dare devil tricks over and over again, but still not a word.

When they landed, the pilot turned to Tom and said, “By golly, I did everything I could to get you to yell out, but you didn’t. I’m impressed!”

Tom replied, “Well I was going to say something when Susan fell out, but fifty dollars is fifty dollars.”

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's GREAT! :D