Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickynabi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Just looking for opinions guys, Considering buying a 13" i5 4GB Macbook Air, but seeing stories of updated ones coming in or around March 2012 makes me think i should wait

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I just bought one, and I'm seeing the same stories. I am so happy with the one I have, that I'm glad I went ahead and bought it. A lot of the attention for the new ones seems to be around the idea of a 15" Air. If that's where its at, then the line may not get a huge bump. But then there are also rumors of a huge bump. I guess it depends on what you have now and if you need to upgrade. My MBP was at the end of AppleCare, and I could still get good money for it so I upgraded... Sold the MBP for $700 which covered about half the cost of the MBA. (not including a new AppleCare contract)

nickynabi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Iv a 3 year old Sony Vaio at the min which still runs fine, but i want to make the move to Macs and this will be my first one so dont wanna go out and spend that kinda money and then see one in march which is better!

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Iv a 3 year old Sony Vaio at the min which still runs fine, but i want to make the move to Macs and this will be my first one so dont wanna go out and spend that kinda money and then see one in march which is better!

Funnily enough, I have just upgraded from a 3 year old vaio to a macbook air. I doubt the next ones will be a design change, just the addition of the 15" and probably a speed bump for the 11 and 13's. so unless you want a 15 inch air, which I think is pointless, upgrade now.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Just looking for opinions guys, Considering buying a 13" i5 4GB Macbook Air, but seeing stories of updated ones coming in or around March 2012 makes me think i should wait

It is always the same old answer ... if you need it now then buy it now.

There is always something better coming around the corner.

There will be eventually in 2012 some nice changes. The mba 15 ( long rumored ) should be awesome.

The current macbook air lineup is also "completely awesome" as long as one can live within 4 gb of RAM. Many of us are just peachy in that limitation. Hard to guess if that limitation may change in 2012.

The macbook pro's are also very nice and they are much more easily upgradeable.

Parkbruce

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Barrington RI
Here's my opinion...apple redesigned the macbook air in 2010 so we are pretty much not going to see a redesign in 2012....the machines out right now are really fast..the next years model will probably have ivy bridge processors and looking at what intel has told the public abuot the processor is that its 20% faster which isnt that big of a deal and graphics improvements. So in conclusion the new macbook air would probably be a minor upgrade on processor which unless u need the "extra power" there is no point waiting..and plus if slight improvement in the processor is going to affect you..then you shouldnt consider a macbook air in the first place..thats my opinion

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
Here's my opinion...apple redesigned the macbook air in 2010 so we are pretty much not going to see a redesign in 2012....the machines out right now are really fast..the next years model will probably have ivy bridge processors and looking at what intel has told the public abuot the processor is that its 20% faster which isnt that big of a deal and graphics improvements. So in conclusion the new macbook air would probably be a minor upgrade on processor which unless u need the "extra power" there is no point waiting..and plus if slight improvement in the processor is going to affect you..then you shouldnt consider a macbook air in the first place..thats my opinion

^ Well said. This will be a debate each time when you buy a new computer - if only I wait a bit longer... :) If you're looking for a 11" or 13", it'll just be a speed bump - albeit Ivy Bridge does look pretty appealing, there's no guarantee it will be out as early as March 2012, it sure can but at the same time there could always be delays.

I purchased a 13" i5 ~3 weeks ago and have been loving it since. A lot of MBA is about the portability aspect of it in addition to bringing in the speed to go along with it. However I don't foresee it to surpass the performance mark of the MBP for example - the focus of the family just seems to suit different needs.

It's always a tricky decision. Hold onto your computer and wait if you can. Otherwise make the jump. I love my MBA and I have no doubt you will too. Coming from a 2006 Blackbook, I can't be happier with it :)

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i'd say wait...

but not until march 2012 because in 2013 there will be a new one.

wait until then. oh wait! surely a new one will be released in 2014. buy one then!

hmm but the world will not end in 2015 will it? perhaps that is the year of the final macbook air though!

meh. make it easy on yourself. don't buy one. that way you'll never be outdated.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I think at this point if you missed out the best buy's $1099 for 13 inch mba, you might as well wait for either next big wave of discount or wait for next iteration of mba (hopefully 15 inch in smaller form factor .. hint hint.. smaller bezel)

In case you think waiting is hard, I am waiting w/ the mb from 2009 .. so.. it's not easy for me either.. but I will wait

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got the Air from the Best Buy deal. I'm not really feeling any buyer's remorse. The only thing that I'd maybe be pissed about is 256gb in the lower model 13in which isn't really that big of a deal anyways since I only paid $1,099 for mine.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I wanted a Macbook Air January of last year, but waited until the summer 2011 refresh. It was long and painful... but it did make the purchase that much more sweet. I got no sleep when the apple store went down the night of their release.

The simple saying "if you need it now, buy now" is not applicable to all of us. Some of us can stretch what we have for a few more months to get something that would be better suited for our needs. If you are in that boat, it "appears" waiting will bring you a better CPU, a better GPU, and maybe more memory. The battery might be better as well, but not looking like it.

So, what do you want to do with your Air? If your common tasks will be improved by Ivy Bridge (google it) and you can make do for a few months, then wait.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
The simple saying "if you need it now, buy now" is not applicable to all of us. Some of us can stretch what we have for a few more months to get something that would be better suited for our needs.

Which would then bring you back to the point of you not needing it now, so you waited. So it IS applicable. Because you bought the new model when you needed it. :p

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got the Air from the Best Buy deal. I'm not really feeling any buyer's remorse. The only thing that I'd maybe be pissed about is 256gb in the lower model 13in which isn't really that big of a deal anyways since I only paid $1,099 for mine.

Are you kidding me? That was an awesome deal.. I just didn't have money lined up to get them so i will just wait for next one.. but that was awesome deal

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Against most of these posts already on here, I would wait if I were in your shoes. True it is that there will always be an upgrade...however, when I occasionally make an upgrade, I always like it to be at the start of a new wave or update. Then I'm top for a few months longer :)

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
doubt a refresh is coming in march/april. Most probably in july.

I wad debating to wait or not but i figured i didn't want to wait 7 months so i went ahead and bought it during black friday.

Never regret my purchase though it's a little distracting especially during this exam period lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.