Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maxp, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. maxp macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    #1
    Hi, im on the verge of getting the mac pro. As we all know its pricey, and will be bought to last at least a few years. My question; is it worth waiting for the new mac pro (quad cores / possibly other revisions (motherboard?)) or do i buy now. I can wait a month or so.
     
  2. Chone macrumors 65816

    Chone

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    #2
    I say buy now, Mac Pro is fine as it is now, and if Clovertown is the same socket at Woodcrest (Which it WILL) and you feel the need to upgrade then you can just drop a pair of clovertowns on your Mac Pro and sell the Woodcrests (which WILL work on a Windows PC).

    It is not like Quad Xeons won't be great for a long long time, not to mention there will be barely any apps that will take advantage of EIGHT cores and when there are you can upgrade.

    See thats the great thing about Mac Pro and what eventually led me to get it instead of an iMac.
     
  3. maxp thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    #3
    Im assuming clovertowns will be more or less the same clock speed but with more cores?

    Also are we expecting the same motherboard to go in the new mac pro?
     
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

    iMeowbot

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2003
    #4
    It may even be less performance per core. Are you running stuff that can take real advantage of more CPUs?
    Who knows? There will probably be at least minor changes by then.

    As to your original question, I would buy now, or perhaps wait.
     
  5. theman5725 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    #5
    Buy now. Clovertown isn't coming out until what, March-April 2007? Theese Mac Pros that are out now are pretty new.
     
  6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

    tyr2

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #6
    For the same cash per CPU Cloverton will clock a lot slower that Woodcrest. Also I believe it's going to top out at 2.66Ghz (initially at least) and I think it will only use a 1066Mhz bus rather than the 1333Mhz in the current Mac Pro's.

    So for single threaded apps Cloverton will perform worse that a Woodcrest. I don't see Cloverton in desktops anytime soon, it's intended for server use really. Who knows for sure tho..

    Edit: Just noticed this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=237430 seems that the faster ones will have a 1333Mhz bus. They're not cheap tho
     
  7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #7
    Wait exactly one year and then ask again. We should have a better idea of what the future holds by then. Just be aware that a year from now there might be something else to wait for.
     
  8. Chone macrumors 65816

    Chone

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    #8
    But why wait? You'll end up waiting forever? One year? Imagine what you can do with a Mac Pro in one year... geez waiting a month is considerable not a year.
     
  9. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Location:
    London UK
    #9
    i think THX was being sarcastic? :D go and buy it you will never own a Mac if you always wait for the next new model.
     

Share This Page