buy now???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jenmcpen, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. jenmcpen macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    #1
    I am on a gap year at the moment and am going to university next september. I am going to buy a macbook to use there but do I buy one now or wait until september? I am worried that if I buy one now, an updated version will come out just before I leave. Please could someone give me some advice. Thanks.
     
  2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

    Flowbee

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Alameda, CA
    #2
    There will almost certainly be upgrades coming out between now and September. If you don't need a new computer until then, you should wait.
     
  3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

    psycoswimmer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    Yes, there will most certainly be a MB upgrade between now and September. The new MacBooks may incorporate Intel's Santa Rosa platform, due out in Q2 or Q3 2007. You can read about it at wikipedia. It will also probably incorporate the use of flash memory, allowing for faster startup times etc.

    A 12" ultra portable MBP is alos rumored. It would be a replacement for the 12" Powerbook.
     
  4. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #4
    buy it now. who says you're even guaranteed to even see next september? don't waste your time; money can always be replaced. get the thing.
     
  5. ziwi macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #5
    Wait and you will most likely be able to get a promotional tie-in - and the machine will most likely be better spec'd. If you don't NEED it now then wait.

    Not to mention waiting gets you free leopard and iLife07
     
  6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

    psycoswimmer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    Just thought of something else, too.

    If you're going to university next year, you get Apple's education discount. That could save you some bucks.
     
  7. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

    mr_matalino

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
  8. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

    AppleIntelRock

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #8
    BUY NOW. then NEVER post a "should I buy now !?!?!?!?!?!?" thread again.
     
  9. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    #9
    ...he obviously didn't read your post..
    Don't buy it yet.
     
  10. charkshark macrumors member

    charkshark

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2006
    #10
    Yeah, if you don't need it urgently. WAIT. You will get free pre installed leopard , iLife 07, and whatever else apple decides to throw in by then. Most likely though there will be no major hardware upgrades.

    The school you will be attending also possibly could offer an apple education discount, as many do.
     
  11. jenmcpen thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
  12. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #12

    "You fool. Today your life may be required of you."
     

Share This Page