Buy old iMac - need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sparks9, Apr 22, 2004.

1. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    I don't have a Mac now, but I'm looking into buying a used old iMac. Mostly for using iTunes (storing my music collection), with my iPod and for using Mac OS X 10.3 Panther (surfing, emailing, writing, NOT heavy use or gaming).

I found an add for a used iMac, specs:
    iMac DV Special Edition (1999)
    400 Mhz G3 processor
    256 MB RAM
    13 GB HD
    CD/DVD combo-drive (slot-loading)
    Mac OSX 10.3.3 (<--THIS IS GOOD)
    Incl. mouse and keyboard
    The seller says "good computer that works perfectly".

How much should I pay for an iMac like that. (You can tell me in dollers).
    A new emac from Apple is 800 dollers.

Will an iMac like the above mentioned be able to run well in 10.3?
  2. sparks9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    BTW: Will a regular 7200 rpm HD from hitashi or maxtor or seagate or so work in an old iMac, and will I be able to replace the HD myself?
  3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I've seen Macs about that age and specs going for $300-$400. I wouldn't pay more than $500 even if the seller throws in the Panther disks (without which you're not really getting Panther if anything goes wrong with your machine).

Not sure about the hard drive.
  4. sparks9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
    300-400, that is ALOT. Too much I think (especially without 10.3).
  5. applebum macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2003
    I have that exact model only mine came with just a 10 GB drive. I am runing Jaguar on it and it works fine. It is also mostly used for iTunes. I do have 384 mb of ram, so if you can, you should up the memory as high as possibl. An external HD should work fine (USB), I have never been bold enough to open it up and put in a different HD. You will truly enjoy it.
  6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    the iMacs on ebay are quite overpriced, considering that you can get a brand new eMac for $749 edu and some refurbs for 500-600
    i'd suggest saving up for an emac i think you'll be really disappointed with the performance of a $300-400 imac
  7. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
  8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    As far as muscle is concerned, the G3 is good for what you want to do. I'll go as far as to say it's perfect. Similar computers are going for $400-$500 on Ebay, though you might luck out and find one cheaper. Ebay is a "buyer beware" nightmare though. If you're going to go the Ebay route, be cautious. If you don't want to risk having some dumbass take your money or pack your computer so poorly so it breaks in transit (that happened to me) then maybe it's worth another $300 to get a new (faster) computer straight from Apple (and with a warranty).

Can you swap the hard drive? Yes. Will it run Panther? Yes, quite well.