Buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mhasman, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. mhasman macrumors newbie

    Apr 17, 2005
    Hi all!
    I have my lovely Cube, but I feel it's time for next Mac.
    And I don't need portable computer.
    May I ask you opinion, what is best solution for me now:
    - MacMini,
    - some dual processor Cube upgrade (for same money),
    - sale Cube on eBay and buy new iMac,
    - WAITING few years for MacIntel?
  2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

    Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    In my opinion, with the Mac Mini being so affordable, maybe that would be the best solution for you. It should last a good few years until the Intel version of mac is out and has been tested and hopefully has a good revision or two under its belt. Then you can upgrade to that :)
  3. ITASOR macrumors 601


    Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Since you obviously already have a monitor, kb, and mouse for the cube, I would say a Mini would be perfect. If you didn't have those, I would say the 17" iMac G5.
  4. tech4all macrumors 68040


    Jun 13, 2004
    What do you plan to do with it? If it's just casual stuff like internet, email, word processing, iLife, etc. the Mac mini should suffice just fine. However, if you're going to be doing some more intensive task such as photo editing with Photoshop, or light video editing, the iMac might prove better than the Mac mini. In either case, be sure to get at least 512MB RAM.
  5. joecool85 macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    Well, before I can answer that...

    What do you want for:
    hd speed/size

    and what do you want to use it for? The mini only has a 4200rpm drive (some are shipping with 5400 though for some reason) and a measly 32mb VRAM card. If all you are planning is websurfing, email and photoshop thats fine....but if you plan on any type of heavy video editing or anything the iMac would handle it MUCH better. Quite frankly, as much as I love the mini, the iMac is a much better machine and will run much stronger.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I think that the Cube it such a unique item, that you should hold onto it if you can. The Cube could become your backup. What Mac you purchase will depend on how much money you want to spend. I would recommend the iMac G5, it is a Rev. B and so the latest technology.
  7. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502


    Apr 30, 2005
    An iMac G5 sounds better, in my opinion, compared to the Mac Mini. Of course, the Mac Mini is cheaper and allows you to move to an Intel Mac with lower spending on your part, but the iMac is based on G5, which is a better and much faster choice in today's world.

    For a Mac Mini to perform well, you'd have to add a lot more RAM - a reasonably well built Mac Mini (again, my opinion), costs around $1000+. And it's still a G4!

    Since you've been happy with your Cube, the Mini might probably be a better fit for your budget. But going for the iMac G5 is not a bad choice either (it is future proof for many more years - the basic configuration comes with a very good monitor, wireless, bluetooth etc.).

    I don't recommend that you wait for the Intel Macs - they're still more than a year away, and with this kind of an architecture transition, you wouldn't want to have a Rev A model. An additional factor to consider is that most of your apps today would be running on emulation on the Intel Macs for a couple of years (even if native Intel versions are available, you'd have to be willing to probably pay and upgrade).

    In my opinion, for a normal consumer who has a Mac right now or is considering one for now, going for an Intel Mac in 2009 sounds like a pretty good time frame (all software and hardware issues ironed out, with more native support for the Intel platform).
  8. hhlee macrumors 6502

    May 19, 2005
    how about this,

    when the first intel powerbooks comes out ....

    Cube -> Pentium M
  9. runninmac macrumors 65816


    Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    I would go for the iMac G5. It will last a while and looks gorgeous!

Share This Page