Buy OS 9 or don't worry about the backlight?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 31, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Should I buy OS 9.1? I mean I try to run programs and it has to open up classic, which I don't have bc I don't have OS 9, but beside that. I have TechTool Lite, and I need to use TechTool to fix my PRAM problem, but I don't want to pay $100 for it. I can buy OS 9.1 for $36.99 and that. Should I just buy OS 9 and then ZAP PRAM using Tech Tool Lite? Or should I buy TechTool 3.0.9 for $100?
    Also if I go with OS 9.1, how do I install that with OS 10 on my main partition? How do I boot to the other?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You know you can zap the PRAM yourself, by restarting the computer and holding down command-option-P-R until it chimes like 3 or 6 or 10 times (depending on who you ask)... or just remove the battery for like 5 minutes. As far as 9 goes, you should be able to install it anywhere you like-- it will run as Classic automatically, and you can boot in it (if your machine supports it) by picking it in system preferences -> startup disk.

paul

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well holding those keys down resets the PRAM to what I don't want it to reset to, same with the battery. I have to do a software zap of the PRAm to get things working with the backlight. If I do that with TechTool then zap PRAM with the keys, it doesn't work, its actually makes the problem again. OS 9 it is.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Why doesn't the "hard" PRAM Zap fix your issue?

What is your issue with your backlight?

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

The backlight, with OS X (Jaguar), won't stay on with my Powerbook G3 Wallstreet (see specs on siggy). So when the PRAM is reset, it puts it to a value that Jaguar doesn't really see or understand or something, or its just corrupt. The battery on it is fully dead, you can't charge up the PRAM battery at all. I've reset the PMU, the PRAM with keys and nothings worked. The only thing that does work is a software zap of pram cause it zaps the whole PRAM. The hardware one just zaps parts of it. Well, ok here's the problem. The backlight comes on when its booting up, but when it switches to the blue screen with the dialog telling you whats going on, the backlight doesn't light up.