Buy OSx86 Retail... in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stelriah, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Oh god. Doesn't really surprise me, I got some pretty sweet deals on "software" when I lived in Singapore as a kid, problem was, back then CD burners didn't really exist so my copy of Wolfenstein 3D came on something like 15 floppy disks, maybe more.

Hell, you could buy Longhorn in Bangkok a while back.

Honestly I don't think the current version of OS X for Intel will be the final one. i think it's just an OS for the dev kit to let them run the software. 10.4.5 or whatever it is will be the final Intel build of Tiger and will probably be tighter than a nun's to crack.
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Yeah... this news was posted over at Hardmac a couple of days ago.

These kind of activities are (well, were at least) widespread in the Far East.
    Over 20 years ago, I lived as a child in Jakarta, Indonesia. There you could buy tape recordings of all sorts of music, for about $ 0,30 each. I think this was shutdown a couple of years ago, though.

I assume this is the "Generic Install DVD" that was created and listed over at some 'torrent sites a few weeks ago. This version was the easiest installable one for the newer P4 machines.

I wonder how many copies would be sold.... Apple could find out if it really were popular ;)
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I can still get VCDs in stores for something like $3 USD in Hong Kong.

Asia is great for stuff like this, but I'd feel weird with a bootleg copy of an unreleased OS. Oh, I'd also have to buy a x86 PC, and I think that would be pretty expensive and weird. :p