Buy Panther now or wait for Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Poogie Bear, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Poogie Bear macrumors member

I am still running Jaguar at home and want to upgrade. Should I wait for Tiger or just go ahead and buy Panther.
    Need some advise.

P.S. My first post, "woot woot"

:)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Depends on how much spare cash you have.
    Tiger is about 20-odd weeks away, if not sooner.

If it was me, I wouldn't bother.

The jump from Jaguar to Tiger will feel amazing and it will have loads for you to sink your teeth into...

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Wait for Tiger, its a far greater upgrade then Panther. :)

4. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Sweet Upgrading Geladas! I upgraded to Panther a few months back. Glad I did. But if I had to do it over I might wait for Tiger. Save your money. Buy yourself something nice.

5. benbondu macrumors regular

What's your reason for upgrading? I think that would play a big part in your decision. If it's for better performance, I don't know how much of an advantage Tiger will have over Panther for non-G5 processors. I'm not saying it won't but I just don't know. I figured Tiger was concentrating more on G5 performance.

If it's for the features, look at what Panther has over Jaguar and what Tiger has over Panther. Personally, I think Tiger has better new features than what Panther gave to Jaguar (but Panther does have some cool stuff). If you couldn't care less about the new stuff coming in Tiger then you should get Panther now and start enjoying it. If you're going to get Tiger as soon as it comes out regardless, then you should hold off on Panther.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

With less that five months till the arrival of Tiger, I would wait. IMHO you wouldn't get your money's worth from Panther in that short of time. Unless like mentioned before you don't plan to purchase Tiger immediately on it's release. The exact type of Mac that you have would also play into the decision making process.

7. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Wait for Tiger, its a far greater upgrade then Panther. :)

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Copying & pasting...

...someone elses exact post?

:mad:

Trying to get your post-count up with little effort?

See Maya's post no.3... it even has the same typo.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I would say wait for Tiger unless you have an old computer that might strugle with it, basicaly a G3. Then you may want to just get Panther because it should run faster than Tiger. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I have the same dilemma as you. I decided to wait for Tiger since it's coming out soon. There are now apps that require 10.3, so I need Tiger to come out sooner rather than later.

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

20.68 posts today for a noobie. In my opinion thats spamming. Wait, same post as M A Y A then it is spamming. :cool:

If you held out this long save your money and wait and be blown away by the Tiger. :D

12. Jaz macrumors regular

Most important to check is whether your mac will support either Quartz Extreme (ugh hate that name) in Panther or Core Image in Tiger.

Those engines are becoming so important for all the UI functions.

Overall you will see a speedbump in usual stuff (load times, general "zipiness") but the UI is based around QE and Core Image so it will affect everything you do.

Tiger Core Image info is here but no graphics cards detail specified anymore: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html

Panther QE info is here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/

I'd wait for Tiger. It has so many additional features that will be of use especially if you have a broadband (i.e. constant) net connection.

Alternatively you can be sneaky. Once the release date for Tiger is known, buy Panther within 14 days before and you usually qualify for the "Up To Date" program where you can buy Tiger for a negligible amount. It is done in consideration for you having just bought a full OS. Apple do it on all their OS and Pro software. Check it out first if you can wait that long. That way you get both versions of the OS. Might be handy as the requirements for QE are likely to be lower than for Core Image, so older Macs are better served by Panther.

13. rinseout macrumors regular

It's funny that the graphics card info is gone now. It was there a day ago.

Surely they aren't trying to hide something from prospective Mac Mini customers, are they? The Mac Mini, AFAIK, uses the 9200 which wasn't on the supported list.

Anyway, considering that the Mac Mini isn't even shipping yet (is it?), I don't think it's prudent to over-state the importance of Core Image; nobody knows just how this is going to impact users, but odds are people with 9200-based machines aren't going to be forgotten (they won't be doing complex graphics tasks either, but that's not news). Tiger, as far as the graphical shell goes, will either accomodate the 9200 somehow, or else those parts of the Tiger UI that make heavy use of Core Image will be optional. I, for one, will be happy enough to turn off that ripple effect they were showing some time ago.

There will almost certainly be applications that require Core Image support, but that's a different ball of wax, and they probably aren't applications that non-professionals will want to run anyway.

14. Poogie Bear thread starter macrumors member

Comp. Specs

I forgot to mention I have a:
    Dual g4 1ghz mirror door
    80 gig hard drive
    1024mb of ram
    ATi 64mb 9600

Thank you everyone for good advice, I am going to wait.
    I will use my money to buy a ipod shuffle.....Peace :)

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

16. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I sure hope not, because the 9200 is in all of the recent iBooks as well. :(

Daniel

17. rinseout macrumors regular

Yes, but prior to the announcement of the Mac Mini, the Core Image info page did not show the 9200 on the supported list of graphics cards.

That isn't to say that you cannot run Tiger; Core Image is scalable. You just will not get the benefit of offloading some graphics calls to the graphics card.

Anyway, I bought my iBook the other day knowing this, and it just seems funny that now that another line of computers is coming out that also uses the 9200 that they have removed this information from that webpage.

Either:
    1. They're trying to hide the fact that the 9200 will not support Core Image features;
    2. They're trying to avoid a slew of phone calls asking about Tiger/Mac Mini;
    3. Perhaps the 9200 will support some (or all?) of Core Image.

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

19. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

What about Lemur? It's in OS XII. :p

This is the cover of the Pre-Release: OS XII

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTFLMAO. That was hilarious, it caught me off-guard. :)

21. Poogie Bear thread starter macrumors member

LMAO That was funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!