buy pb @ store or online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 10, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If you want to customize the machine then you have to buy it online, if your just going to buy a stock model then buy it in the store.

2. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

would it be advantageous to buy it in store if, for example, i am worried about dead pixels and whatnot? my sister got her dell inspiron about 2 weeks ago and we just discovered the dead pixels on it...

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when this issue has come up in the past on these forums, people have said that the stores WONT let you open the boxes, try out the hardware AND THEN decide whether to buy them.....you have to buy FIRST

dunno if this is true but that's what I've read here in the past

4. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

If I were you I'd feel more comfortable buying it in store. I'm not sure if they do this for powerbooks, but for my iMac I bought it in store and was able to get it with bluetooth and extra RAM.

allison.

5. panda macrumors regular

return policy

in denmark there is a -10day no questions asked- return policy wnhen buying from the applestore online.

check it out with your retailer before buying.

...and enjoy :)

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I should warn you - as I've foolishly forgotten about this stupid 'feature' of the B&M store...

You won't get the student discount at the store - it only apples online - for no reason at all.

As for dead pixels? Well, Apple stores are notoriously stingy about this. They usually play it off like it's nothing, and that you shouldn't be pissed that you just blew $2,500+ and got a defective screen.

Just don't let up. Threaten with legal action, complain and bitch - be a real dick until they're just tired of dealing with you. They'll trade you.

If you're lucky, your 'genius' will be a pretty laid back guy - and will feel your pain. The guy I had was like, 'Yeah, that sucks the donkeys...we'll get you another one'.

Also, yes, they have some custom models in-store. I called and asked if I could pick-up my 128mb 9700 15" in-store, and I was told that I could.

Ultimately, I ordered online to get my student discount.

Oh, and one more thing - Don't get Applecare. It's such a waste. Hardly covers a damn thing.

7. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

if you're a student, then buy it, in-store, at the Apple Store - all the Apple Stores honor student discounts on hardware items

if you want to configure it, you can do that in the store, as well

if you want the best deal though, and you're not a student, then online, from a third party like MacZone.com, will be your best bet, as you likely won't be charged sales tax

8. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

well - if you're a power user, who replaces their laptop every 1 to 2 years, then yes, don't mess with AppleCare, and use that money towards another laptop

however, if you're looking at your powerbook as, at least, a 3 year investment, then I would give AppleCare consideration

9. obrien234 macrumors regular

Education Discount in Store

I've heard that if you bring in proof of you being in a school, like a ID card or acceptance letter your local Apple Store will give you the education discount.

10. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

They will give you the student discount on hardware in the stores, but not for software. (As long as you have proof)

11. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yes, at least here in Austria that's true. With respect to the Apple Online Store, here in Austria you're allowed to send your computer back (as long as it wasn't BTO) to Apple without giving a reason, and there's no restocking fee. On the other hand, if you buy at the store, you get your computer immediately. I bought my first Powerbook online (since I got a pretty cheap iPod with my Powerbook, an offer that I could only take advantage of at the Apple Online Store), and after one month waiting I received a Powerbook with a dead display. Ok, they took it back without any questions, but I had to wait another two weeks until I had a working PB (which had a dead pixel, but I didn't want to wait for another PB, though I could have sent it back).
    Therefore, I bought my next powerbook in the local store. I was allowed to take a look at the display BEFORE I bought the powerbook.

12. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Totally false!

You can walk into a B&M Apple store, show them your student ID and walk out with a discounted *hardware* purchase.

The do not offer the student software discount though.

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

If buying a stock model, it doesn't really matter if purchasing online or at the store

14. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

So let me get this straight, you can't exchange a notebook at the apple store if there are dead pixels? And the policy is the same for buying online as well?

15. wide macrumors 6502a

no, buy it on amazon. if you are not using EDU pricing they have really good rebates right now (i think they even beat EDU pricing). they have a good return policy too.

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i heard if you buy it at the store, you get moved to front of the line compared to the people who ordered it online.....

17. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

wuuut? if you buy in store you can't take home a laptop the same day too? that blows...

18. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

If you go to the store, you walk out with the hardware (unless they are out of stock).

Ok, there seems to be some confusion here:

In store:

1) You cannot config the computer except maybe to add some RAM (there may be minor exceptions to this). You cannot do a BTO system in general.

2) You *will* get the student discount on hardware if you provide a student ID.

3) You will walk out of the store with the hardware that day unless it's out of stock (call before you go).

4) You will pay sales tax (if in a state that charges tax)

5) You will probably have to say no to various extras like applecare or .mac (ie sales pitches)

6) It's fairly doubtful they will let you pop open a box and check for dead pixels (think about it, if you do that, and say no, they have a refurb on their hands)

Online:

1) You can custom config your system

2) You will get a student discount

3) You will have to wait for the system (but get free shipping)--estimate 7-10 days for delivery.

4) You will pay tax if you get it shipped to a state that charges tax (shipping address is key here)

There are be some exceptions to the rule here , but if you plan on getting a stock system, it's probably best to walk into the store and get it. You'll get it sooner and not pay any more.

If you plan to BTO, you want to do it online.

You may also be able to swing a better deal from a place like Amazon by avoiding tax (yes I know you are supposed to claim it).

Did I miss anything?

19. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Just exactly all the info I needed. Thanks a lot!

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

one more thing: there is nothing like going to an apple store and buy your pb, have it right away, set it up in the store, use their wifi and mail your friends about your new purchase. it's really cool. maybe picking up your brand new Ferrari in Maranello/Italy is better but of course i wouldn't know.......

21. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Since I'm going to have pay tax anyway, I think I may as well go buy the Powerbook in store at my local applestore, so I can take it home right away and enjoy it to the max...

22. dcv macrumors G3

If it's BTO you have to order online, you cannot get additional options through an Apple retail store.

If it's a stock PowerBook and you live within reach of an Apple Store then definitely buy it that way. Makes no sense at all to buy online as the price is the same and you'll have to wait about a week for it to arrive.

I would suggest that you phone your local Apple store first to check they have stock and to double-check the return policy. In the UK there is a 14-day 'no questions asked' return policy. You can return it for any reason within that period so if there are dead pixels, or you've simply changed your mind about it you can get a full refund and there is no 'restocking fee'. I think if you order online then you may be liable to pay the delivery charges or some other fee if you decide to return it - another reason for buying from the store.

23. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Also, what about the deal where if you buy an iPod mini now along with a mac you get the $179 rebatE? You can do these in store as well, right?

24. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Yeah I'm interested in that as well. Do Apple Stores offer the Cram and Jam deal?

EDIT: THey have a rebate for 100 off on any selected printers. DO they sell printers at the stores and if so do they come with rebates as well?