Buy Powerbook now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 15, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Well i finally decided to get a powerbook i am 90% sure of it.. 32mb ram isn't enough for me.. Anyways their have been alot of rumors about ibooks getting upgraded soon but if they did they would be real close to powerbooks so they would upgrade them at same time at Mac thing in June.. Should i just buy a Powerbook now or wait until then? What is the most you think the Powerbooks would be upgraded if they did G5s!!! lol j/k... Latest i can wait is June 17 Bday :D Opinions suggestings?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It is unlikely they will be updated before your birthday, so I guess now would be the best time to buy, if you don't want a new upgraded iBook. (Personally, I like the PowerBooks better just because the aluminum looks so much better than the white plastic!!)

3. Lord ZipLoc macrumors newbie

In the same situation here were 32mb of video ram is just not enough however with only about 3 weeks until WWDC there is no point in not waiting the ibooks are going to be around 90 percent upgraded at that point, and 64mb video ram will be standard so you should probably wait I know I am going to, also at that point the powerbook wont be a good buy at 500 dollars more for a slightly faster bus speed/processor so go for the ibook.

4. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

i fogot to say i am a student so i get money off the powerbook i like is the 12"with superdrive ibook i almost was thinking about getting but i need a DVD burner and a ibook with a dvd burner is
    ibook
    $1,399.00
    1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    SuperDrive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in

but for same price (100 dolller EDu rebate and also parents want me to make a vaction video for them and i told them i needed a DVD burner to do it and it was 100 more and couldn't afford it and so they are giving me the price difference about 120 dollers..

$1,399.00
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

so for same price Powerbook is
    1. Faster/bus speed to
    2. More Vram/Ram
    3. SEXIER lol

5. Lord ZipLoc macrumors newbie

once the ibooks get updated the 14 inch will have almost the same specs as the 12 inch powerbook however fro the same price if you dont mind the smaller screen and slightly less battery life the powerbook is a better buy

6. oriol macrumors member

oriol

why wait for something u want, always is something better coming. Ok im not goin to get a powermac G5 because a G7 version is comming. :cool:
    if u want/need it now get it if not just wait, wait, wait...

powerbook is a great machine, why wait for a iBook if the powerbook is always going to be better. u gonna wait for a new iBooks and get a PB???? :confused:

If u are waiting for a powerbook G5 be patient u really gonna need it. Like me i'm right now waiting for a PM G7, hopefully I'll get it in 3 years :D

7. rockandrule macrumors 6502

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Sooo... are they just skipping "G6" completely because of the Pontiac car that came out under that title?

Daniel

9. oriol macrumors member

oriol

yeah because pontic has the COPYRIGHTS for a PowerPC G6 :confused:

now we just have to wait to see who's gettin the rights to use G7 prossesors, Pontiac or Apple? :D

10. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I just bought a Powerbook. I'm sitting here at my university using the wireless network – it is a superb piece of machinery. The ibooks are nice but you get the built in Bluetooth and such with the PB and a more useful software bundle.

Plus – as far as aesthetics go, the PB is the best looking notebook bar none. I'm sitting here looking at some of the hideous creations that Dell and HP have the gall to sell and I wonder why they even bother with design (as it seems that they hardly have).

The 12" PB is a really great machine and it is unlikely that Apple would undercut it by upgrading the ibook to the same stats.