buy previous gen PM G5 2.0 ghz dual or current?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cwerdna, Apr 30, 2005.

1. cwerdna macrumors 6502

I'd been holding out on a getting a Power Mac for quite awhile and now the new machines are out. I was planning on getting the current gen 2.0 ghz dual proc (w/4 fewer DIMM slots), dual layer burner and the Radeon 9600 video card.

But... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t.../103-8494372-8783834?v=glance&s=pc&n=13630031 throws in a monkey wrench into my plans. The previous gen 2 ghz is $1694 after rebate + shipping due to this rebate http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002A6XCW.01.RB26.LZZZZZZZ.jpg.

I'm really torn now... If I go w/the older one, I've got a crappier video card [GeForce FX5200; upgrade later if I'm unhappy?], have a slower burner [don't think I care], don't have dual layer burning [not sure I care that much, but I figure I can replace the drive], and can get Tiger for $10 more. But, the older one does have PCI-X slots [don't care] unlike the new and has 8 DIMM sockets [nice] instead of 4 and a 56K internal modem [don't care].

I'd imagine I'd have iLife 04 instead of 05, is that right? [looks like I'm wrong here] Is it is a free update to 05 or something that comes down thru Software Update or do I have to buy 05 if I want it?

Since I'm a PC guy (built my last few PCs myself), I'm wondering how much better video cards for Macs cost? The FX5200 is BOTTOM of the barrel on the PC side in terms of perf and the 9600 is only a little better. On the PC side, there are so many choices, but it seems like you have to go w/"Mac editions" of cards on the Mac side. Am I right?

The internal burner would be easy enough to replace (if I wanted to), but I'm not sure how picky Mac OS is about make and model of internal burner. Apple's 16x part is likely pricey.

What would you do?

2. panphage macrumors 6502

Personally I would buy the previous version, even if it weren't so much cheaper. Great to have all those RAM slots and the PCI-X will hopefully be more and more of a big deal as the year grows older. Both video cards are pretty meh, I like ATI cards more, but either one is probably going to be thrown out as soon as something else is reasonably priced (which could take forever...). And the dvd burner I personally don't care about at all. Just having one makes me happy.

I do like amazon's full spec page, 3 memory slots :( but 8 open PCI slots! !!!

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Go for the previous gen one.

You can upgrade to tiger for $10 and it should ship with iLife 05, if not I would call apple and they will likely give it to you for free or for $10.

About the Graphics card, yes the FX5200 is the worst card you can get for the G5, but used Radeon 9600XTs are pretty easy to find for $80 - $100 and that would give you quite better performance and you might even be able to sell the FX5200 for $40. Whatever graphics card you choose make sure it is an AGP Pro (8x) card for G5s, and make sure it is the mac edition of the card.

And finally about the burner. The ones apple started shipping in powermac G5s are actually 16x Dual Layer drives but they have been flashed to a lower spec. basically so the new powermacs look more appealing. I saw a guide recently on how to flash it to a higher speed, can't seem to find it now. If you wanted to buy a whole new burner Tiger has a ton of drivers built in so almost any burner will work.

4. sd_diver macrumors newbie

Rev B

I just took delivery of my revB 2.0 last night from Apple. It was $1899 less an 8% corporate discount. I had to pay sales tax, which just about wiped out the discount. Too bad I didn't know about your deal! $1699 plus no tax! Now mine did have iLife 05 installed. It also came with a copy of Tiger in the box (but not installed). You should have iLife 05, but will probably have to go thru up-to-date to get your $9.95 Tiger. Get 2 gb ram for around $180 and you'll be set!

As for the video card, it is not *that* bad. I'll still probably get a 9800 pro se at OWC for $279 sometime in the future... After a 2nd sata drive...

SD Diver

5. cwerdna thread starter macrumors 6502

Crap, I think the 2 ghz dual isn't eligible for the $200 rebate because it's coming from actually from J and R, not directly from Amazon. :( Some of the other configs compare from Amazon though.

6. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

see if you can get the rev.A PM 2.0. i have this one, and it seems like an upgrade compared to the 2.0 duals that they just put out. i have the 9600 pro. not the best, but certainly fine for all the Tiger effects. 8 slots of ram(more useful than you think). it comes with a pioneer 106, which is fast enough for most burning jobs. if you want dual layer capability, the 108 can be had for about $70-80. the money you save can be used to purchase tiger and ilife'05 and more ram. i love my rev. A machine and it's more than holding its own.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would prefer the current model. That way it will have the latest technology. The problems in the Rev. B model will be fixed, that means a lot for peace of mind.

8. cwerdna thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, Amazon got back to me and said the rev B 2.0 ghz PM G5 I'm interested in isn't eligible for the rebate because it's coming from J and R. Oh well. :(

9. Viffer macrumors newbie

Wooo there. Hold your horses and read the fine print. That rebate only applies to Power Macs purchased from AMAZON. That Power Mac is being purchased from J and R's.

Your rebate WILL NOT be redeemed.

10. cwerdna thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. :( It's too bad. Techbargains.com was incorrect (or perhaps was correct until Amazon itself ran out of stock of the previous gen PM G5 2.0 ghz machines).