Buy RAM now or wait? (Macbook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lazyboy922, Nov 13, 2006.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

I have done a search, and read other posts, but they didn't really answer my question. I would rather purchase the Macbook C2D through amazon so I don't have to pay tax, but it seems like RAM prices are so high right now, and I can get it through apple cheaper. I can however wait on the RAM if I have to (would like to eventually upgrade to the 2GB. My question is, should I just purchase it through amazon, and buy ram through someone like crucial. Will Ram prices eventually come back down?

Thanks,

Don

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, depends how long you wanna wait and how cheap you can get from apple, I thought you can found <$200 for 2GB ram at newegg.com ?

3. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Even though Apple charges tax if you ever have a warranty problem having apple ram in the machine makes it a lot easier. You will find that they will always blame your problem on third part equipment even if it something as simple as RAM.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Historically, RAM prices will come back down. When? How low? Nobody knows.

RAM pricing for a given type of RAM typically and over the long term follows a "smile" curve. Expensive when first introduced, followed by a rapid drop as competition and supply carch up with demand, a general continuing movement downwards as supply and sales volume reach 'commodity' levels, then a gradual move upwards as the foundries move to new RAM chip types and production capability is scaled back, lastly a sharp increase as production is discontinued and remaining demand outstrips remaining supply (recent examples, EDO and RAMBus).

The current (since mid-August) upward spike in DDR and DDR2 prices I believe is short term, I don't think we are near the terminal upslope on these. We have seen a bit of easing in the DDR2 pricing in the past week or 2.

5. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Exactly.

Product Life Cycle (same thing he said, only shorter)

Intro
    Growth
    Maturity
    Decline

6. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

what are ram prices based on? im guessing supply/demand like everything else