Buy warranty for shuffle?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by shieldyoureyes, May 30, 2006.

1. shieldyoureyes macrumors 6502

shieldyoureyes

So...I saved up enough change (yeah, $84 in coins) to buy myself a 1GB shuffle for working out. So, the question is: By from the apple store with educational discount for $89, or buy at best buy for $110 with a 2 year replacement plan that covers the battery? Could anything really happen to a shuffle? Do the batteries tend to go bad after a while?

Thanks in advance

2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Go with a refurb from Apple...and since it's a shuffle and it's just for working out then why not a 512? You can't possibly listen to 1 GB worth of music while you work out...or maybe you do

3. shieldyoureyes thread starter macrumors 6502

shieldyoureyes

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the 512, but I want to have some variety, room for various files and podcasts. Hmmmm...

But does anyone know if shuffle batteries tend to go bad?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This topic has come up before, and nobody reported bad shuffle batteries. Remember, they're good for over ten hours at a full charge, so even if they don't charge completely after a while, you probably won't even notice.

BTW, the shuffle is a bad choice for podcasts. No screen makes it difficult to select. The shuffle is great for banging in a day's worth of music from your library. Even the 512 can hold over eight hours.

Forget the extended warranty. Save your money and buy two. ;)

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I ordered my shuffle on the day they were released (January 2005) and have been using it heavily ever since. I haven't noticed any drop in battery capacity.

I would definitely suggest not getting the warranty...warranties on cheap products (I know it doesn't seem cheap when you're saving pennies to buy it, but it is cheap in the larger scheme of things) are rarely worth it.

6. shieldyoureyes thread starter macrumors 6502

shieldyoureyes

Thanks for the replies...honestly, I was leaning towards not buying the warranty, but didn't know if there were any battery problems after a while. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go pick one up tomorrow. Yeah...and good point about the podcasts, didn't really think about that.

7. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

get the refurbished one from apple. nobody noted that it comes with some warranty with it itself, like 90 days from apple? if anything catastrophic happens it'll happen in that timeframe. After that, it'll be about battery life, which, if you're using to work out, you won't need 10 hours or so, unless you are crazy like that at the gym.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Refurbished products from Apple come with a full one year warranty, same as new. (AppleCare for an iPod costs $59, which is $10 more than a refurbished 512 shuffle!)

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Agreed refurb is the way to go if one's available. The only reason I didn't do it was because they only had 512 MB ones at the time and I wanted a 1 GB to use for both running and as a flash drive. I really like the fact that it's dual purpose. :)

In any case, it didn't end up being so bad because we got to use the hubby's educational discount so it wasn't much more expensive than a refurb would've been.

Definitely would say no to the extended warranty. That's totally not worth it for an item like that.

10. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

well if it's a full 1 year warranty then it's a no brainer. get it.

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi