Buy Xbox 360 now or wait?

Discussion in 'Games' started by zap2, Mar 17, 2007.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So with all the lack of Wii games for a while, I've come to the conclusion I want an XBox 360. Fund are limited(of course:( ) but I have enough for Xbox 360 Premium, 1 games and maybe 3 months of Xbox live(or a wireless bridge for online play)

But with this Zephyr talk I'm afraid I'll buy the XBox 360, then the new one will come out, and the 20Gb one will lower its price. I don't have an HDTV, so the HDMI thing isn't huge, 120Gbs isn't need, I'll only have game demos on my harddrive, and I like white more. So its not that I want the new xbox 360, I just don't want to pay 400 for something that will be 300 dollars soon.

So do you guys think I should go buy one now(tomorrow maybe?) or wait it out. Or I could buy one at costco, so if a new one comes out in 90day I'd be covered.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i dont think there will be anew release for the next 8 months to tell yopu the truth...i say go for it..

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

If there really is a game you just can't wait to play (like Gears of War for example) then just go for it, no point in delaying the purchase, you won't care about those extra 100 bucks for the new 360 (if it even comes out) once you start enjoying the games.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've recently bought one and I've did my research.

There have been rumors since January that a HDMI 120gb "black" 360 will be coming out around May. I find it highly unlikely. The 360 hasn't even hit the 2 yr mark. It's unlikely they are going to give a price drop. With the recent (few months) release of the HD-DVD drive as an add-on, a 120GB HD to come bundled is also unlikely IMO it will probably be a seperate buy like the HD-DVD drive. HDMI will be added, & a cooler chip, for $400, that's plausible, I don't see it any other way.

So I would say if they do upgrade it will be a few months before Halo 3 comes out and it will have a cooler running chip, and the HDMI thingy, nothing else. My TV doesn't have HDMI abilities so I bought a 360 now instead of waiting.

5. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I have one that's just a couple months old that I might want to sell to you for a discount. Would you be interested?

6. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

No thanks...if I do buy one soon, I want to be able to return it if a new model comes out(Costco has a 90 day trade in value, so I might buy there)

7. pcypert macrumors 6502

Yeah you can buy mine. It plays "backups". But seriously buy now and have fun playing. I never understand the wait and wait and wait folks. There's always something else on the horizon...and there's Viva Pinata now :)

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I bought mine recently and couldn't be happier the games are great, and I got it at a superb price.....Its a good time to purchase a 360 ;)

ShadoW

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I would wait (and in fact I am). It wouldn't hurt to just hang in there for 2 more months to see if this rumoured May Premium price drop and Zephyr model comes true and you might just save yourself a bundle in the process.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Stop listening to the voices in your head ;) :D

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Buy one now..buy it brand new too. I don't see any upgrades any time soon so go for it.

Bless

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Unless you have psychic powers like 2ny, I say wait like mr.Blizzardbomb. We simply don't know what is coming around the corner, there could be a new HDMI model with a larger HDD in the summer, which means the current systems will drop in price.
    If that doesn't happen then buy a 360 when Halo 3 hits and get that game bundled with a system.

Remember, if your on a budget then the more you pay for the system the less games and accessories you'll be able to afford.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I say buy one now. It'll give you time to catch up on all the 360 titles you missed for when game season starts in the fall and we get bombarded with dozens of titles.

15. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Get it. I have my 360 sitting next to my PS3. I watch movies on my PS3 - I play games on the 360.

Holding out for an HD-DVD drive in the 360 is not a good idea. Even if they do get it, the fan would have to be a LOT quieter for it to be practical.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The HD-DVD player is VERY quiet. Just make sure your 360 has no disc in its normal DVD drive when using the HD-DVD player and volume wise its exactly the same as the PS3 playing BluRay player.

17. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

MRU - you know I own the 360 and the HD-DVD drive. What I meant was, if the Xbox 360's standard drive is also an HD-DVD player, it won't be practical unless the fan is a lot quieter.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

oh yeah sorry I missinterpreted your post. it's a st.patricks day hangover. ;) :D

19. giganten macrumors 6502a

Buy it, play some games and have fun. Don't wait. :D

20. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

If you want to buy one, it doesn't really matter when you buy it because they're not coming out with a new model. :eek:

People thinking they will do so fail to realize that doing that would split the market between "old 360" owners and "new 360" owners, which means a) you'd piss off a lot of people who bought the original, and b) some 360s would have better tech specs than others so you'd potentially have to recode games to take advantage of HDMI and the larger HD.

Microsoft has gone on record saying that the HDMI/120g HD model is a devkit prototype only and will never see the light of day. :eek:

21. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

You always take a chance waiting for the newer version. I say unless you actually have a release date for something, don't wait. Just look at the PSP, it's been over a year now people have been saying to not buy it and wait because a remodeled design is coming out to compete with the DS Lite.

And that isn't happening anytime soon... or is it? ;) :D

22. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I agree with you 100%. Microsoft is either going to release an HDMI cable that works with existing systems or they won't do anything. It makes no sense for them to release a new system with added features that can't be added to a previous model. I can see them releasing a larger hard drive or changing the color, but that doesn't make it any different than the previous system. Think about any console design update, the PS2 slim only made the system smaller and included features that could added to the original if wanted. I think it would be a horrible move on Microsofts part and really hurt their chances at becoming a serious console developer if they decide to release a 360 with HDMI built-in and exclude people who have one now.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

I don't know... Personally, I'm waiting for now. I'm saving up, so there aren't any funds to buy a 360 now anyway. But, I'm really hoping by the time I'm ready to buy a 360, there will be a redesigned X-Box 360. There will be no division between the "old X-Box 360" and "new X-Box 360" owners. The GBA was revised twice and fairly quickly. The DS was revised shortly after the original fat. The PlayStation 2 had its revision. You could even say the GameCube got dumbed down when they go rid of the component video cable port. The only leaked photo of Zephyr showed that it was the old beige box with an added HDMI port. For all we know, the revised X-Box might just add a HDMI port.

I'm waiting to see a cooler running X-Box 360, smaller, built-in WiFi ($100 for a USB dongle is ridiculous), possibly internal hard drive (charging us for a proprietary hard drive?!), and most importantly, the premium model hits $299. I don't care about HDMI. I don't care about a black X-Box 360.

Do I expect to see a revision at all anytime soon? I'm really doubtful. I'll probably end up with the $399 premium X-Box 360 this summer, but I'm hoping there will be a redesign by the time I'm ready to buy.

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

C'mon...if you've been an Apple guy for a while, you must be used to waiting by now?