Buy XBox or PS2.. now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by weg, Jul 13, 2005.

1. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Since the new XBox and the PS3 have been announced for christmas (and first quarter of 2006, respectively), who would buy a XBox or PS2, now? I mean, isn't the situation even worse than for the iBook? Potential iBook buyers at least don't know if there will ever be a new iBook.. ;-)

2. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Well, if you wait for the new hardware, you will pay a lot of money and not have much of a selection in software. If the 360 launches by fall, you will have to wait for about 6 more months to get some kick ass games. There will be some nice launch titles (I hope), but the good stuff will take about 6 months to 1 year.

So, with in that 1 year of waiting for the next gen system stuff, you can scoop up BOTH PS2 and XBOX for a cheap price and TONS of great software.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I sold my XBox a month or so ago and bought a PS2, so I guess I would.

The PS3 and the XBox 360 aren't out yet and I love the games on the PS2 so you wont hear me complaining about buying old hardware.

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I have the same problem with the Gamecube. But I guess I'll end up getting a GBA now and the Revolution when it comes. And I'll fire up my good old COMMODORE in the mean time!! :D

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

if i didn't already have a gamecube, i would probably still go out and buy one for zelda, (the reason i bought it in the first place, to play wind waker). There is still value in the ps2, with madden and what not. don't really care about the xbox, never did found a value in that.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The PS3 and Revolution, with FULL backwards compatability, leave no reason for consumers to buy the PS2 or GameCube.

Well...come to think of it...there is the rumored high price tag of the PS3 to worry about, but Nintendo has said the Revolution will be the lowest price (meaning $250 or below), so thats no problem there.

On the other hand, the extremely low price of the GameCube ($99 gets a GameCube, a game, AND a controller, and both the game and controller carry over to Revolution) means that it's not a big investment and isn't a bad buying decision.

So I suppose I can see both of those being bought.

XBox I can also see being bought because the 360 does not have full backwards compatability (top selling titles only).

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Consoles and suggestion

If you buy a PS2 or XBox now, either one could be your half-decent DVD player by the end of next year. XBox 360 will launch in 2005 but it may have a trickle of good games for a whole year. The x86 XBox and the PS2 will have regular new games until then.

My suggestion would be to buy a Nintendo DS as I have. Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart DS and Nintendogs are all months from release. If you want graphics and multimedia get the PSP and if you have not made up your mind before the year ends treat yourself to a GameBoy Micro.