buyer has uncofirmed paypal address what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lfielder06, Aug 18, 2005.

1. lfielder06 Guest

I don't know if this is the right place, but I need to know what to do. I just sold my old PB on ebay, but the buyer has an uncofirmed address. I already moved the money to my bank account, but am wondering what to do. I wrote the buyer to ask them to get it confirmed, but what if they don't? Any input on what I should to?

2. gregorydanger macrumors member

You should be fine. The money will be in your bank account in a couple of days and if it shows up then I don't see any problem with sending it out.

The way I see it is as long as you've got the money, who cares where it's going. :cool: But I'd at least wait until the money is securely in your account.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

cross your fingers...... nah jk...that jus prob. means he hasnt verified his paypal with a bank account.

4. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

AJ is right. The only difference between verified and unverified on Paypal is whether they put a bank account in. My dad's is unverified, he just uses it for purchases on eBay and stuff. He doesn't need to put a bank account in. I'm sure you would if you want to receive money though. It doesn't mean they've been bad or something. :rolleyes:

5. lfielder06 thread starter Guest

Ok cool that was quick. Thanks. I will wait till the money gets in my account then ship it out. BTW.. My pb went for $750 and it was a rev a 12". :)

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

cool...and that dude SHOULD GET HIS PAYPAL VERIFIED...cuz last i heard they were giving you 5 FREE iTunes songs if u verified your account... (got 10 free songs :D )

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well he (the buyer) can always reverse the charges, and you'll get a nice email from paypal saying that they are taking the $750 out of your bank account. And paypal wont do anything for you because it was sent to an unconfirmed address. I would ask him to become verified before sending.

Check out This thread for a similiar situation. Its old, but useful.

8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

THIS IS TRUE. At any time that buyer can contact paypal and say he or she never got the item. It is them up to paypal to decide what to do BUT if the buyer paid with a credit card they can just have the charge canceled. If this happens guess who paypal comes after... yep you got it.. YOU! This happened to me in December and I am STILL in a legal dispute with paypal over it. They sent a collection agency after me and I had to explain to the agency how paypal was outside of their contract with their actions (the contract has since changed but paypal is bound to the contract in place when the transaction took place). Be careful!

9. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

potential fraud problem

!!WARNING!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

This is simple to handle. You have the option to cancel the sale and return the money. I would advise if the transaction was done by credit card to do just that very thing.. Because you are not protected against charge-backs if the credit card number is reported stolen later... (and you would be out your PowerBook and the money!)..

I have done this before. Just instruct PayPal (or whatever) to refund the money to the buyer and don't ship it.. send him/her a note asking to mail you a postal money order or cashier's check for the same amount minus the cost of postage and the check/money order fee (for his trouble in case it is legit), and they should be OK with that.. eBay/PayPal will not tarnish your merchant record for handling it that way.. in fact, that's the procedure (refund/cancel) that they recommended to me when I asked them the same question.

I put it in my merchant profile in fact that I will NOT ship to unverified addresses.. (where the billing address and shipping address are not same).

10. lfielder06 thread starter Guest

Ok well thanks for that. I wrote the buyer and told him that he would have to confirm his address before I would ship it out. Hopefully he just confirms it and i wont have to relist the item and hastle with that. Thanks for the help.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This happened to me last year as well. I sold this college textbook to this bitch, and like, two months later, all the sudden I was hit with a "you didn't send your item. We're taking your money back" from PayPal. I have the choice to dispute this, but I didn't have the proof that I shipped it anymore, so I decided $20 wasn't worth the trouble, and paid it back. Was hit with a $10 fine, so it was more like $30. Pissed me the **** off, but what can you do? Other than that, PayPal has been hassle-free for me, and I probably made alot more money than I lost through them, so I just grin and took it.

For $750 though, I wouldn't take the risk.

12. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I refuse to ever take paypal anymore when I sell items. People are ok with cashier's check or money order and it really hasn't hurt my sales at all from what I can tell.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I live in Canada, so if I buy from one of you (or if another Canadian buys from me) - the address shows up as Unconfirmed.

I can't figure out how to Confirm it, and it looks like you can't.

I dunno.

14. court macrumors member

Like I said...I would send it, confirmation/insurance/signature from him required. I think that would be the best way to do it. That way, you have insurance and can dispute it that way.

I hate paypal!! I just don't get this guy saying he doesn't know how to do it...you better figure it out --if you are buying a computer offline you would think they have better common sense. :rolleyes:

15. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

don't trust paypal or cashier's/certified check

I sold an item on eBay, and the buyer paid with a certified cashier's check. He gave it to the FEDEX driver, the check came to me a few days later, I deposited it at the bank, and later they told me that it was fake. I had to pay a fee, I lost my computer, I got no money for it, etc., etc. It was horrible. I don't trust any payments except cash anymore.

I only use craigslist now. Give it a try; it works great. You can ask for a local buyer who is willing to pay cash, and in my experience, you can usually sell your item for the same price it would get on eBay, etc.

16. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I sell on ebay all the time and here are a couple of tips for a safe and secure transaction:

. NEVER ship an item to a buyer who has an unconfirmed address. Verified and confirmation of address are two different things, as most people here seem to confuse. Verification simply means that the owner of the paypal account has confirmed that he is the owner of the checkings account to which the paypal account is linked with. On the other hand, confirmation of an address means that the billing address on the credit card matches the shipping address.

Now, you have sold an item which is more than $250 in value. For the buyer to pay with a confirmed address, you have to refund his money, and then ask him to pay again with a confirmed address. Even if he confirms his address now, he paid with an unconfirmed one.. so if you ship it, and he files a chargeback .. you will be liable.. 100%.

An idiot filed a chargeback once.. thinking he would get his money and the product, but I had shipped it to his confirmed address, had signature confirmation of the delivery so I got my money back. If a buyer can't pay with a confirmed address, i ask him to send me a check and wait for the check to clear ..and then ship out the item.

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Don't do it!

There are several eBay users that purchase small items just to get a good feedback score, then purchase a large item such as your PowerBook with PayPal only to deny the charge when they receive their credit card statement.

PayPal automatically (whether it's a confirmed or unconfirmed shipping address) deducts the money from your account if a charge back is received. If the buyer had a confirmed email address, PayPal will contact you and ask that you send in a ton of information.

After 3 to 5 days, they will then credit the chargeback back to your account only IF their fraud division deems the transaction is covered under their insurance policy (PayPal Seller Protection policy).

Only accept U.S. Postal Money Orders from unconfirmed addresses and have your bank call and verify the money orders authenticity before you deposit it into your account.

Never ship an item to an unconfirmed PayPal address. You PAY for the PayPal Seller Protection Policy out of your final auction fee, whether the auction is elligible for the policy or not!

Why give up something you paid for just because you think you can trust this person? I just had a eBay user with 40 postive feedbacks chargeback an auction from me worth almost $400. After going through the process, the only reason I got my money back was because I followed PayPal's policy exactly.

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You better make sure if he does confirm his address that your particular auction is now covered under the protection policy. I'm not sure if confirming your PayPal address is retroactive.

19. court macrumors member

BUT ... If you ship it off and make it so HE has to sign for it and get it insured and also have delivery confirmation on it, wouldn't it be safe?? Then you would have documentation of everything right?? They wouldn't get away with mail fraud.

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

My suggestion is to have your Paypal tied to a bank account that you use only for that. Keep maybe $100. Once the money gets deposited to your bank account, take it out immediately. That way if Paypal tries to take your money back, it will get rejected by the bank due to overdraft. Then you can tell Paypal oh well I got my money.

Paypal has become utter crap lately. I can't stand to use eBay or Paypal anymore.

21. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Wow, this post and the post that was linked really scare me about PayPal. I sold our Dell laptop on eBay to buy the PB just 3 months ago. I was paid via PayPal. Luckily it all worked out (it sold for $1300!). The address was confirmed and I got delivery confirmation. The only pisser is the guy never left me feedback and that was the most valueable thing I ever sold on eBay. It would be nice to have that feedback, KWIM?

I was *almost* screwed on a lot of books I sold. The guy claimed he never got them and threatened to turn me over to PayPal. I scanned the receipt from the post office and he backed off. I was lucky, though, because I did not have delivery confirmation for the package.

It's scary how PayPal can just take money from you like that. I'm growing quite wary of eBay/PayPal.

22. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

You do know that PayPal has nothing to do with chargebacks right? They are simply, a payment processor. There are other merchant services such as Charge.com, Linkpoint, Authorize.net, etc. I have used all plus PayPal, and I find PayPal to be the best for a seller - low fees, less hassles.

If you accepted money via linkpoint or authorize.net and the buyer hit you a chargeback.. you'd be liable. You then have to submit the shipping tracking # which shows that you did ship the item to the credit card's billing address. PayPal really has nothing to do with this, they're not the ones who decide "Oh ok, lets screw this guy now by applying a chargeback"

If you follow the policies listed by PayPal, you'll be more than safe. The problem is, most people don't bother to read these policies.

23. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

I feel bad for those people saying that they got screwed by people with an uncomfirmed address, however not all people are jerks like that. Sometimes there are circumstances that don't allow the buyer to have a confirmed address. This is my problem because I grew up in Virginia, then went to college in Ohio. I kept my bank account in the bank in Virginia but because this bank isn't in Ohio i had to keep the same billing address in Virginia. Therefore if i bought anything off of ebay and wanted it to be sent to my address in Ohio then it would be uncomfirmed.

I understand the security of having a confirmed address but i think if you take enough precautionary measures you should be okay. I would first wait until the money is deposited. Once you have the money ship it through your carrier of choice. Make sure that you have it down in writing that they do not hand the package over unless signed by the buyer. Then keep that proof that it was sent on hand just in case they try to say it wasn't. I may be forgetting something here but this is just my 2 cents. Good luck!

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Whenever i sell something i ask for the money first and make sure the check clears before i send it off. If they don't trust me then i don't trust them. Also sometimes i just let people do a direct credit transfer into my bank account. Works a charm :)

25. court macrumors member

The person is willing to send a money order with the address to send it to. He seems like a very good person, but I am still going to have to protect myself. I think it is terrible that a few jerks make it this difficult for what appears to be a very nice person.