Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we head into the middle of August, there are some recent deals available as retailers try to lure customers into their stores during the back to school shopping period. Best Buy is continuing to discount its entire line of iPad Air 2 models, and there are good deals on Apple's lightweight, affordable MacBook Air.

iMac and Retina MacBook Pro sales are less impressive, so it may be best to wait a week or two to see if better discounts arise if you're in search of one of those machines.

Apple's Back to School promotion is still going on both in stores and online, with Apple offering a free pair of Beats Solo2 headphones with the purchase of an eligible Mac. Eligible Macs include the iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and Mac Pro.

As always, we've rounded up discounts on some useful Apple accessories and we've found plenty of deals on apps and games this week.

iPad Air 2

Best Buy is still discounting its selection of iPad Air 2 models this week, dropping prices from $75 to $100. The biggest discount is on the 128GB Cellular iPad Air 2 in Gold, Silver, and Space Gray, available for $729.99, the lowest price we've seen on that particular model.

ipad-air-2-group.jpg

The 16GB Wi-Fi only model is available for $449, the 64GB Wi-Fi model is available for $524.99, and the 128GB Wi-Fi model is available for $599.99, $100 off.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Buyer's Guide: Discounts on MacBook Air, iPad Air 2, Apple Accessories, and More

Last edited:

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Heads up that Target also has iPad Air 2 16 gig models on sale for 100 dollars off. And if you can find a store that still has one, they'll sell you an iPad Mini 2 16 gig model for 224 dollars.

Reactions: jclo and myrtlebee

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Heads up that Target also has iPad Air 2 16 gig models on sale for 100 dollars off. And if you can find a store that still has one, they'll sell you an iPad Mini 2 16 gig model for 224 dollars.

I second the iPad Air 2 sale for $100 off at Target. Got mine this week. I guess MacRumors has a partnership with Best Buy or something to not mention this. On the other hand, I understand not mentioning Target's iPad mini 2 sale since the ship has sailed with that one - they are no longer available to ship and all stores in a 50 mile radius of the major metropolitan area I live in are sold out. MacRumors also never mentions MicroCenter, which usually has significant deals on Apple products all year long.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I second the iPad Air 2 sale for $100 off at Target. Got mine this week. I guess MacRumors has a partnership with Best Buy or something to not mention this. On the other hand, I understand not mentioning Target's iPad mini 2 sale since the ship has sailed with that one - they are no longer available to ship and all stores in a 50 mile radius of the major metropolitan area I live in are sold out. MacRumors also never mentions MicroCenter, which usually has significant deals on Apple products all year long.
I get the whole Target thing. They should mention them. They are a national brand... but Microcenter... no... it is a regional player... so it would alienate a lot of the readership... same with Fry's Electronics. I will also say that people should not forget the USPS Best Buy 10% movers coupon and the Best Buy $50 off student coupons that can be used in conjunction with these deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerBook-G5

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I get the whole Target thing. They should mention them. They are a national brand... but Microcenter... no... it is a regional player... so it would alienate a lot of the readership... same with Fry's Electronics. I will also say that people should not forget the USPS Best Buy 10% movers coupon and the Best Buy $50 off student coupons that can be used in conjunction with these deals.

I disagree with the notion that MicroCenter is regional. They are located in nearly every large US population center http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/default.aspx. If it were "regional" it would be located in one region of the US -- say, in the South only or in the Northeast only. It is nationwide, with stores in all regions of the United States -- Northeast, South, Midwest, and West. I would argue posting info on MicroCenter would be of benefit to the majority of forum users here. Why would anyone be "alienatied" by it when B&H photo has a total of one retail location? Also, Best Buy has changed the movers coupon and it is no longer for 10% off, but instead for $5 off of a purchase of $50 or more.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I disagree with the notion that MicroCenter is regional. They are located in nearly every large US population center http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/default.aspx. If it were "regional" it would be located in one region of the US -- say, in the South only or in the Northeast only. It is nationwide, with stores in all regions of the United States -- Northeast, South, Midwest, and West. I would argue posting info on MicroCenter would be of benefit to the majority of forum users here. Why would anyone be "alienatied" by it when B&H photo has a total of one retail location? Also, Best Buy has changed the movers coupon and it is no longer for 10% off, but instead for $5 off of a purchase of $50 or more.

B&H Photo has a web store than will ship to anywhere in the country... and tax free in most places. Microcenter's website lists all of the sales as "In store only." I live in the 6th largest city in America and we do not have Microcenter. Yes it would alienate readers to cover sales that are not nationally available. And finally... this is not a "deals site." This is an Apple rumors site, and the sheer fact that they take the time to bring ANY SALES to our attention is good. If you want a larger scope of deals, I suggest just visiting a deals themed website.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
B&H Photo has a web store than will ship to anywhere in the country... and tax free in most places. Microcenter's website lists all of the sales as "In store only." I live in the 6th largest city in America and we do not have Microcenter. Yes it would alienate readers to cover sales that are not nationally available. And finally... this is not a "deals site." This is an Apple rumors site, and the sheer fact that they take the time to bring ANY SALES to our attention is good. If you want a larger scope of deals, I suggest just visiting a deals themed website.

I think I've had this exact argument with you a couple of months ago. So, I will just go ahead and say I disagree with everything you said and call it a night. (And for the record, I appreciate and view these articles every week, but I am suggesting ways MacRumors could make it even better.)

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

They also will not let you stack the 2 coupons anymore. At least at the one I went to, before ordering from BH.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

Sorry guys, missed the Target deal. This is pretty much a one-person operation, so sometimes things go under the radar. For those of you who read this every week, feel free to email me whenever you see awesome deals and I'll make sure to include them. juli@macrumors.com

I don't typically check Target every week because their deals used to be few and far between, but they seem to be picking up recently so I'll try to catch them next time.

Dkowasic

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
I just purchased an iPad Air 2 Gold 16gb wifi & cellular from AT&T certified like new for $229.00 + 2yr commitment. I'm a long time AT&T customer with 2 iPhone 6's on Next and family share plan with no plans to leave them. It was a super great deal for me! It arrived looking just like new and verified through Apple that warranty is through 05/2016. I also purchased a 3 year Squaretrade ext. warranty. iPad + case + warranty was less than $300.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I live in the 6th largest city in America and we do not have Microcenter.
I was curious, so I googled the 6th largest city in the U.S. Turns out that is Houston. Houston has a microcenter. Apparently, it's brand new.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If retailers are discounting the iPad Air 2, could the rumor of the iPad Air 3 being delayed until next year be false? Then again, there have been no leaked parts.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
If retailers are discounting the iPad Air 2, could the rumor of the iPad Air 3 being delayed until next year be false? Then again, there have been no leaked parts.

I don't think discounts on the iPad Air 2 signal anything. Retailers have been deeply discounting it since November of 2014.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

most likely. these rumors come out every year right before a release

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
It's a sign that the Air 2 isn't selling well. 100 dollar or more discounts on it have been occurring regularly since launch. This week is seeing more 100 dollar drops on them as well as significant drops on the Mini 3.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It's a sign that the Air 2 isn't selling well. 100 dollar or more discounts on it have been occurring regularly since launch. This week is seeing more 100 dollar drops on them as well as significant drops on the Mini 3.

You're probably right. Let's hope the "iPad flu" doesn't spread to the iPhone.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
You're probably right. Let's hope the "iPad flu" doesn't spread to the iPhone.
I don't think that will happen to the iPhone. A big reason iPads and other tablets are dropping in sales is that screens on our main devices (phones) are getting larger. I no longer covet an iPad screen because my phone does everything I need to do and I can read it all comfortably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.