Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are some solid deals on Apple-related software and accessories this week due to the Fourth of July holiday in the United States, as well as some decent discounts on the iMac, MacBook Air, and Retina MacBook Pro.

iMac

Best Buy is running a four-day 4th of July sale offering $120 off of Apple's entire lineup of iMacs. This drops the price of the new entry level 1.4Ghz iMac to $979.99. Similarly, B&H Photo is also offering the new iMac for $979.99. Best Buy's educational discounts are still ongoing, offering an additional $150 off the iMac or any other Mac, making it the best choice for students with an .EDU email address.

mavericksimac.jpg
While Best Buy is also offering discounts on the rest of Apple's iMacs, there are better deals to be had from both Adorama and B&H Photo. The older 2.7 Ghz 21.5-inch iMac is available for $1,149.99 from Adorama, a discount of nearly $150. The 2.9 Ghz 21.5-inch iMac is available for $1,349.99 from both B&H Photo and Adorama. The lower-end 27-inch iMac is available for $1,659.99 from B&H Photo and Adorama, while the higher-end model is available from B&H Photo and Adorama for $1,879.99.

macbook_air_mavericks_roundup_header.jpg
MacBook Air

There are also good deals on the current-generation MacBook Air, which was updated in April. The higher-end 11.6-inch model is available for $999 from Adorama and B&H Photo, a discount of $100. Adorama is offering the lower-end 13.3-inch model for $899, also $100 off. Finally, Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo are all selling the higher-end 13.3-inch MacBook Air for $100 off at $1099.99.

macbook_pro_13_15_late_2013.jpg
Retina MacBook Pro

As for the Retina MacBook Pro, several retailers are offering $100 to $150 off most models. The 13-inch RMBP with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage is $1,399 at Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo. The lower-end 15-inch RMBP with 8GB of memory and 256GB of storage is $1,849.99 at Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo, while the higher-end model with 16GB of memory and 512GB of storage is $2,449 at Amazon, Adorama, and B&H Photo.

Buying from Adorama and B&H Photo gives the benefit of no sales tax in many states, as these two stores only charge tax in New York/New Jersey and New York, respectively.

speckcandyshell.jpg
Accessories

As for accessories, Speck Candyshell cases for the iPhone 5 and 5s are available half off at $17.99 through Groupon, while Otterbox Defender cases are available for $14.99, a discount of $34. Select CaseMate cases are on sale as well for $6.99 to $12.99, as is the LifeProof nüüd case for the iPad mini ($39.99).

appsale.jpg
Apps

Many iOS apps are on sale for the 4th of July. The original Infinity Blade is available for $0.99, for example, while Infinity Blade II is $1.99 and Infinity Blade III is $2.99. Journaling app Day One, normally $4.99, is free. Fantastical 2 for iPad is discounted to $14.99, and Scanner Pro is discounted to $2.99.

Before making a purchase of a Mac or iOS device, make sure to consult our Buyer's Guide to find out if it's a good time to buy. For example, because the MacBook Air was updated in April, the Buyer's Guide indicates that now is a good time to purchase.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors.

Article Link: Buyer's Guide: 4th of July Discounts on iMac, MacBook Air, Apps, Accessories, and More

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You might want to say whether apps are for iOS or Mac. I clicked the link in order to find out and even this is misleading since you've linked to the Mac version of Day One (which isn't actually on sale), the iOS version is.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
You might want to say whether apps are for iOS or Mac. I clicked the link in order to find out and even this is misleading since you've linked to the Mac version of Day One (which isn't actually on sale), the iOS version is.

Sorry about that, the wrong app version was linked by accident. It's been fixed, and we've clarified these are iOS apps.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I am now officially torn. I'm getting a new MBP retina for grad school but I want the newest thing I can buy. Should I wait till sept?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
As for accessories, Speck Candyshell cases for the iPhone 5 and 5s are available half off at $17.99 through Groupon, while Otterbox Defender cases are available for $14.99, a discount of $34. Select CaseMate cases are on sale as well for $6.99 to $12.99, as is the LifeProof nüüd case for the iPad mini ($39.99).
Wow, expensive! My iPhone 5 has got a $5 black bumper case from a Chinese eBay seller with built-in volume buttons (none of that cutout nonsense). It's sleek, protective, and more durable than Apple's bumper cases, and it protects nearly as well as those ugly Speck cases. For some reason, it's impossible to find anywhere except on eBay.

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
*** never mind, link is in the original post just doesnt mention iPad deal too

Here the link to the BestBuy College Student Deals where you can actually sign up for the discount on Macs ($150) or iPads ($50).

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Buyer's Guide: 4th of July Discounts on iMac, MacBook Air, Apps, Accessories,...

I posted this in another thread, but Target will have these deals starting tomorrow.

- 16 GB iPhone 5S for $99 with $20 gift card

- 16 GB iPad Air for $499 with $100 gift card

- 16 GB iPad mini with Retina Display for $399 with $100 gift card

- 32 GB iPod touch for $295 with $30 gift card

- 10% off all iTunes gift cards

e4asyrud.jpg

Last edited:

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
You can't really beat the pricing with the edu discount. Got a iMac 27" base, 3TB external usb 3.0 drive, and a 1300w cyber power UPS for about $1900 out the door. People who want to keep waiting and waiting... what exactly are you waiting for? A minuscule CPU performance boost and GPU boost? $1,899 vs $1529 (after the edu discount) for a base 27" iMac brand new... you're not going to get a better deal if you keep waiting.

I'm assuming, based the chance that new iMacs do come in September/October, they won't be available for a EDU discount because that deal will have expired by then. The new models that get released could possible start at $1899-$1999 for the base 27" model. So, you can wait until then, not get a great deal now, and end up paying $300-$400 on the base model. That is a lot of money you could be saving.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Kingj77

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2014
Buy now or Buy later

Hello Everyone,

I'm debating whether to buy a Macbook pro now or wait in hopes a new one comes out later this year.

I'll be honest, I just upgraded to an iphone 5s about a month ago after being on android for years. So far it's pretty good.

I'm now looking to buy a new laptop and I don't want to deal with Windows 8. So either I find a good laptop running windows 7 which I feel is a good OS or I give Apple a try here as well. I'm thinking of buying a 15 inch retina display macbook pro.

I read on this site in the buyer's guide that it's not a good time to buy a macbook pro as new one's could be coming out soon.

Would really appreciate some suggestions on pro or cons of waiting versus purchasing now.

Obviously, it would be good to get the updated processor, however, not sure if that warrants missing out on a deal saving me a few hundred bucks and tying me down to this outdated windows vista os I'm currently using for a few more months.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Since AirportExpress haven't still been in any discounts, do you believe it will still take 2 years for Apple to update it to 802.11ac? History shows 4 years between every update...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.