Buyer's Guide: iMac and 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Discounts Ahead of WWDC

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2014.

  1. macrumors bot

    MacRumors

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2001
    #1
    [​IMG]


    Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) kicks off on Monday, but a few retailers have some larger than normal discounts on some current Mac models.

    [​IMG]
    The 21.5" 2.7GHz current generation iMac is seeing a $149 discount at Adorama and Best Buy. The iMac, however, is near the end of its refresh cycle and while we probably won't see the new low-cost iMac debuted at WWDC, it does seem imminent. So, we recommend you wait on buying any new iMacs.

    The 13" Retina MacBook Pro with 512GB SSD, however, is seeing a $199 discount at both Amazon and B&H Photo, bringing the price from $1799 to $1599.99. That's the lowest price we've seen. The buy recommendation for the Retina MacBook Pro is more complicated.

    The Retina MacBook Pros were last updated in October 2013, according to our Buyer's Guide and receives a "Caution" rating. Current MacBook Pro rumors place the next update in between Q3 and Q4, so approximately 4 months from now. That is enough time that if you are on the market specifically for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, a $199 discount may be enough to pull the trigger.

    B&H Photo and Adorama only charge sales tax in NY and NY/NJ, respectively.

    MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors.

    Article Link: Buyer's Guide: iMac and 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Discounts Ahead of WWDC
     
  2. macrumors 68000

    4God

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    Location:
    My Mac
    #2
    I agree about the iMac update being imminent.

    Not sure about the 13" Retina Macbook Pro though. The deep discount could be to move inventory during graduation time but also could be a sign of imminent updates as well. I think I would still wait at least until after WWDC before making any Apple purchases at this point.
     
  3. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
  4. macrumors 68000

    Mattsasa

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2010
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #4
    I am still hoping for an iMac refresh on Monday
     
  5. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #5
    you really want the MacBook Wheel
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2013
    #6
    in my opintion

    I think there is something coming for the imac since they promptly removed the "imac15" or what ever, from the released bata code-a-ma thingy. Onion is intentional.

    I think it will be premium upgrades as a standard cost. Fusion Drive, standard. I7 core, standard, video memory, standard top teir at regular prices. Maybe on top of the top teir at a $100.00 discount. Because, a 100.00 discount on the imac isnt rally enough of a boost to increase sales in my onion.
     
  7. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2011
    Location:
    UK
  8. macrumors 6502

    Cyborg21

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2013
    #8
    MacBook One? What is that?
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
  10. macrumors 65816

    mixel

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    Location:
    Leeds, UK
    #10
    I reaaaaaaaaalllly want them to announce a 4k iMac.. Even if it's a premium non-standard thing.

    That would be beautiful!
     
  11. macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    #11
    I would think that is the touchscreen MacBook.
     
  12. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2014
    Location:
    Karlsruhe (Germany)
    #12
    I don't see how any big updates can be announced without Broadwell processors, which should be in place for middle Q4 launches.. right?
     
  13. macrumors regular

    raniel

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Location:
    Ph
  14. macrumors 6502

    Cyborg21

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2013
    #14
    But there isn't any rumor for that, did I missed something on MacRumors?
     
  15. macrumors 6502a

    Jardins de Vin

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Location:
    Europe
    #15
    Does that count for 27" iMacs with the i7 and an SSD as well? It seems like a low cost iMac will be presented, but the question is, if the top iMac models will remain as they are.
     
  16. macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    #16
    I read somewhere that they would be working on that too.

    Or maybe he meant a Beats-branded MacBook.
     
  17. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2014
    #17
    A little help please...

    I'm in the same boat...was just about to configure and order a 27' iMac today but guessing I should wait...? Not certain whether to go 3.2 or 3.4, want the Fusion drive, and guess I can upgrade the RAM on my own if someone steers me in the right direction re aftermarket brands (I did the same to my 24" iMac with Kingston I believe) Newbie here...thank you for your assistance and patience.

    ps ~ I would be ALL OVER a 30" iMac...
     
  18. macrumors 6502a

    Jardins de Vin

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Location:
    Europe
    #18
    Think until the end of the day (today) and if no new top-model iMac gets announced, I believe you can buy it. Or does anyone believe an iMac could get announced later this year? I heard that the iMac should be refreshed soon, it's been out for a while.

    Then on the other side, with the iMac maxed out, it's enough for what I need personally. If a new one comes out I'll probably be paying the same price and it will be only 0,01% faster or so haha.
     
  19. macrumors 6502a

    RightMACatU

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #19
    Give it a few more hours before hitting that buy button. I personally think that the 22" iMac is too small and would welcome a 24" version while pushing the 27" to a 30" 4k display :D
     
  20. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2014
  21. macrumors 6502a

    Jardins de Vin

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Location:
    Europe
  22. macrumors member

    AlifTheUnseen

    Joined:
    May 17, 2014
    #22
    Doesn't look so… Anyway, I still wait to buy a replacement for my Mid-2010 iMac. The CPU of the upcoming iMac is not that much better, but if they go for the 880M GPU as an update from the 780M, that would be a significant update. Plus the SSD / fusion drive options should be better in the upcoming iMacs…. I'll wait…
     
  23. macrumors 6502a

    Jardins de Vin

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2012
    Location:
    Europe
    #23
    What do you mean with SSD options? The price-size ratio?
    I'll be going with an SSD as well, but what sucks is that I would need the iMac as soon as possible. It sucks waiting. :(
     

Share This Page