Buyers remorse!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vraxtus, Aug 19, 2004.

1. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

After having my 12" Rev B for a few weeks now, I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't have gotten the 15" Rev A! However it was $400 more over the 12"... I wonder if I should have gotten it! hehehe *sigh*

2. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

hehehe yup....that happens sometimes........not to me tho.........'cause..money was a very big issue, so i could only stretched my budget up a 15" .......but even if i wanted the 17 (which i did) i wasn't able so afford it. so i'm very happy!

be happy with your little machine....... and if you're thinking about it too much.......just trade it in for a 15".....................you won't regret it anyways...........but i'm sure you'll be very happy with your 12" too :D

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Your little PowerBook is the ultimate in portability. I love that little machine and im on a 15" powerbook. that is such a sweet machine. be happy. get use to using expose for window management and get a nice five button mouse to control expose with a mouse click...or just set it up to use the hot corners...move the cursor to a specific corner and you can see all your windows...it makes small monitors very usable. what are you doing with it that makes a 12" so cumbersome? you can always get a 17" monitor for your desk work area for serious work.

5. vraxtus thread starter macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah I know, I'm just being greedy :D

I think part of it has to do with the fact that when I got my first iBook I had actually wanted the then awesome first gen TiBook... flash forward 2 years later and I upgraded to a desktop... so I guess I'd just like to have my computers last... rather than having to update so often.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you also have a G5, which to me means that the 12" is the perfect choice. If you had only one computer, I can see wanting the bigger screen, but you have the G5 for a big screen and power. The 12" will be the perfect portable companion. (I should know - I have one.)

7. vraxtus thread starter macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I do agree... the 12" is a really good portable size. I just think that at times the 15" just has a better resale value, and it is nicer for the simple fact that it is more powerful than the 12". But right now it does a great job with wireless internet which I've come to enjoy very much. :p

8. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Get 15"!!!!

I was in the SAME situation!
    I got the 1 GHz 12" Superdrive model in mid-March, and pretty much disliked it from the start: Screen too small to work effectively, no card slot, doesn't look elegant from the outside since it'as thicker... simply felt more like a silver colored iBook than a professional grade machine.

When the new Powerbooks were announced just a month later, I took the plunge, sold the (almost new) 12", and got the new 1.5 GHz 15" with Superdrive.

I have to say, I could not be happier with the upgrade. To me, the 15" is just infinitely better. The screen size difference is huge in terms of making it easier to work. This machine feels professional.

If you feel buyer's remorse, rather than live with a mchine that doesn't fit your needs perfectly for a few years, I recommend spending the few hundred bucks it'll take to upgrade and get the machine you really want. If it makes you as happy as it made me, it's well worth it.

One thing I have to say,though, is that the 1 GHz to 1.5 GHz speed difference isn't quite as noticeable as I had hoped it would be. but I'm still more than happy with my upgrade.

9. vraxtus thread starter macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Hmm... yeah I see what you're saying. But I also have a G5... and I've spent so much money on computers already I didn't want to spend that much more :(

10. vkapoormd macrumors member

sell your PB on ebay (you should get close to equal value, and take the plunge and buy the 15 "; you will probably always second guess yourself, and be much happier with your purchase, despite the extra money spent. Especially if you plan to keep this PB for a few years. :D

11. vraxtus thread starter macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah, I think I may wait til school starts again, since I have a friend that volume sells electronics on eBay.. including PBs, so he might be able to get me a good price for mine... then maybe I'll put it towards another one :D