Buying 12" iBook Tomorrow, Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jcook793, Dec 8, 2003.

1. jcook793 macrumors regular

Aug 18, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    My awesome wife gave me a 14" iBook for my birthday tonight. She said she didn't know what kind of iBook I wanted so she just got that one. She figured I'd have to take it back to the Apple Store for an exchange.

I have a good desktop Mac, this is mainly for surfing, email and some programming. Also for the few times per year I travel.

I really prefer a 12" because it's the same resolution and if it's going to be portable, it might as well be portable.

I want the internal bluetooth option. Can they add the bluetooth module in-store or do I have to wait for them to ship that from Apple?

Also I want an Airport card but I don't really need the Extreme card. My wireless router is an 802.11b. Should I just look around for a used one somewhere? Are they compatible?

I think the jump from a 30 gig drive to a 40 gig drive is necessary. Is the 60 gig drive worth another $50 though? I have about 25 gigs of mp3's so maybe so... not sure on that one. Like the bluetooth module, is this something they can do in-store?

And finally, I can bump up the RAM to the max for another $150, which is about $50 more than a third party option. But is the $50 really worth the trouble? What would I even do with the left over 128 meg SO-DIMM?

I have to say, it's pretty hard to be staring at that unopened 14" iBook box right now... :)
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    Re: Buying 12" iBook Tomorrow, Need Some Help

you can't retrofit an airport card into an airport extreme slot. so either you get an airport extreme card for your iBook or nothing.

you will have to order BTO on BT and the HD. RAM is probably the only thing they can change in store. i personally think HD is worth the extra $50 but RAM is not. (it's very easy to put in a new RAM, as you may know already...)

by the way, congrats on a great b-day gift.
  3. jcook793 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 18, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Re: Re: Buying 12" iBook Tomorrow, Need Some Help

Ohhh... I didn't know that. I thought they were the same connection. Thanks. As you might can tell, I'm a relatively new switcher.

Yeah, good point. I can save the $50 on the RAM and put it towards the hard drive. And I shouldn't have a problem installing it. Ah, the good old days when I was soldering that extra 256K of RAM onto my Amiga's motherboard... :)

Thanks! I have the perfect wife!

Thanks for your help. That answers all my questions, and that was a super-fast reply!