Buying 256MB Ram for iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HardHatMac9, Aug 18, 2004.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

I would like to upgrade the RAM in my ladyfriend's iBook to 512MB, as it is currently running on 256MB (128MB x 2). She has a 500mhz iBook, (so I will have to take out one 128MB and install a 256MB one). Her computer is currently running very slowly. I'd like to install some more RAM
    and do a clean install.

Two Qs:

Do you think more RAM will increase performance?

What are the best and cheapest (safest) places to shop for RAM?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just a note... taking out 128 from your 2x128 setup will do the following

128 (remove this)

Now you have 128.

256 (add this)

Now you have 384.

Your total RAM will be 384 and not 512.

To answer question 2... I'd go with Crucial... question 1 is probably a sure... but I really can't say.

3. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

You are totally correct. I was being a bit too wishfull, I guess.

Any more suggestions on cheap/reliable RAM suppliers/vendors?

4. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

What kind of iBook does this friend of yours have? G3 or G4?

I have a G3 600 and a 512 stick for mine is only about $100 Which really isn't all that bad considering the better performance I will recieve.

And yes it will increase the performance as well as stability. Computers absolutely love it when you add more RAM to them.

Mike

5. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

She has a G3 500mhz.

Any other suggestions.

BTW would (128 + 256) 384 MB be enough to notice a difference in performance? The 256MB is about half the price of the 512.

Thanks!

6. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Honestly I had the exact same model, and I went with 18004memory, and in 3 years I've not had a problem. I have 384.

8. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you notice a difference in your iBook's performance after you upgraded to 384? Was it sufficient or better for when you were running Jaguar or Panther?

9. sigamy macrumors 65816

You should install a 512mb chip. No doubt.

Installing a 256mb module only gives her an additional 128mb of memory. I really don't think adding 128mb to her iBook is going to give her a big benefit. The 256mb chip costs $50, but you have to remove the 128mb so unless you sell the left over 128mb (which will be hard to do because really nobody wants a 128mb module) you are paying $50 for just an additional 128mb of memory, that is 39 cents per MB.

Save some more cash and purchase a 512mb module for $100. That will get her iBook to 640mb and it will be a very significant performance boost. It will put new life in that 500mhz iBook. That gives her an additional 384mb and works out to 26 cents per MB.

OWC has good RAM and great prices. http://www.macsales.com

10. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Don't mean to hijack this thread by making it a classfied, but I have a spare stick of 512MB ram that'll work in the iBook G3, took it from my 800. I'm willing to get rid of it for $60+shipping, if you're interested. Drop me a PM.

MP

11. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Very Insightful! I appreciate it, and I think I agree with your logic. The offer above sounds interesting. Anyone have any advice regarding used RAM? Thanks again, this is truly a great website and I'm glad we all chip in to help oneanother--if the world were only like this in all aspects....

12. sigamy macrumors 65816

Buying used RAM is very hit and miss...if the above guy will give you allow you a warranty and/or allow you to return the RAM then maybe go for it.

If you'd rather have piece of mind, spend the extra money and go with Crucial or OWC. You can get bad RAM from these dealers also, but they offer excellent customer service and support.