Buying 35mm SLR, need help...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yuc7zhd2, Mar 22, 2004.

1. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm in the market for a manual focus 35mm SLR camera. I've narrowed it down to the Canon EOS Rebel Ti and the Nikon N75 (F75 outside the US). I don't care about the auto focus features of either, although both are supposed to be very good. From a purely manual focus usage perspective, which would those of you who have used these models suggest? I'd also prefer something a bit 'heavier' and solid. I realize both are mostly plastic, but is the Nikon a bit more solid? They're both identically priced (279 on amazon), with similar ratings. Regardless of which one I purchase, I'll also be purchasing the Canon S400 digital cam with the same order, so digital is out of the equation. Please help and thank you.
  2. Miles Davis macrumors member

Mar 22, 2004

The F75 has excellent features for the money. The Canon is similar, so it really depends on which one feels better to you. Both of those can do manual focus, but if you want true MF quality, check out the Nikon FM3a, it is a truley wonderful camera. You could also get a used FM2n or FE2 (which is the closest to an FM3a (both have Apeture Priority)). Check out or for great info.
  3. SwitchHitter macrumors member

Jan 7, 2003
    Buying tips on camera

This is easy - go to, this is the best resource for buying a camera - and getting recommendations on models, lenses, etc. - they have a Canon EOS forum.

Why aren'tyou going digital?