Buying a 12" PB free from defects in Sydney...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Yuh, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Yuh macrumors newbie

I'm wanting to buy a new 12" PB combo (stock config) from a Sydney Mac store... but question is, is there a store in Sydney that will let you open up the box and check to see if it has a perfect screen (ie no dead or always lit pixels)? I've been to a couple stores, Nextbyte CBD and the Apple reseller in Burwood but both places have declined, saying that if it's got any then i got to live with it, and always insist that they have never had any... which is complete bull - the screen on display even has one.

I've been reading through other posts with others saying that you should buy from a store to check for them, but i'm yet to see a store in Sydney that lets you do that (PC or Mac, laptop or LCD monitors). I bought a Samsung 17" LCD last year (before they had their 7 day zero pixel guarantee) and have this one stuck on pixel that annoys me to no end, so i' really wouldn't want to get a PB until i can get one with a screen that's perfect.

2. win_convert macrumors member

Have you been to the one on corner of Glebe Point road and Parramatta road?
    I haven't but I remember passing it when visiting Sydney earlier this year.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. Yuh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm haven't been to that Apple store.... that's the Broadway one isn't it?

And haven't tried David Jones yet. Do they have student discount?

And just wondering if you guys actually asked about the screen defect problem? Or just suggesting stores to ask?

5. Yuh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i just emailed the stores at Broadway and Chatswood... guess i'll find out in a day or two... and probably drop by David jones sometime if they say no.

6. win_convert macrumors member

Do they sell mac gear at DJ's now?, The only thing i have seen in there is ipods and Toshibas and Acers and a no-namer.

7. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

yes. a few of the dj's shops sell the full range. sometimes they offer 18 or 24 month interest free on all apple stuff. walk out with a mac and the first interest free payment is due in a month. a number of the large shops are selling macs now.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I will be very surprised if someone lets you because no one would accept an open box (would you?) and they can't return it unless its a DOA.

If a perfect screen is a real must for you then I would seriously consider putting an offer down on a new display model that has a good screen. They might be happy to let you have it and fix Applecare and everything and just replace it with whatever they get...

Or maybe arrange to buy one but make a deal to take the display model if the new one has a dodge screen...

Then again, serial numbers might thwart this and furthermore they may not like the idea of putting a machine on display wtih a dodge screen.

9. Yuh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i don't think that i'll find a place that would allow this either... But there's some hope because there are some posts about making deals to check the monitor first, though admittedly not in Australia.

It's a shame that i have to pay top dollar for Apple and yet can still get defects that are deemed acceptable. You can get lcd monitors from other other companies like sony, acer, samsung that have zero dead pixel guarantees - even the cheapest acer ones have it (since it's an across the line guarantee), so why not with Apple?

10. wide macrumors 6502a

If it has dead pixels and Apple won't replace it, just shove a butcher's knife into the slot-loading drive and tear that computer apart. Then just say that was its condition after you opened the box :D

11. Yuh thread starter macrumors newbie

lol that would be wrong :)

12. mstecker macrumors 6502

I did this in NYC

Someone in the NYC SoHo store let me do this (hope I'm not getting anyone in trouble). The deal was, I had to buy it, then they let me back in the service area to check it out. If I wasn't happy (which I was), they would have let me return it.

13. Yuh thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a couple emails back today:
    Nextbyte said they (all nextbyte stores) definitely wouldn't be able to do it because an open box would no longer be brand new (basically what aswitcher mentioned).

However, the Apple store at Broadway said they had no problems with it. So i'll be making my way there once i've finished my exams in a few weeks time.