Buying a 24" iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Goman macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2007

I'm pretty new to this forum, and in the "Wonderfull world of Apple" all together. Right now I want to jump in and buy my first iMac! I would like the 24"model with the 7600GT, so I hope that I will have a decent machine for the future.
    Still I've got kind of like a sick feeling, because a lot of people here are talking about new IMacs to emerge. I don't mind Apple updating the IMac in half a year or so, but what are the changes of a major udate before that?
    My second worry is, how will it run Leopard? It will use the graphics card more right? So will a 7600GT cut it?
    I live in Holland and including taxes, shipping, etc an Imac here is pretty expensive. I have to pay about $2500,- worth, so do you guys think this will be worth it? Or will I have an outdated machine in a couple of months...?

So hard this...
  2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2004
    Missouri, USA
    The video card would only effect video editing programs and maybe some image progs. The 7600 is a very good card.

Any of the new macs will run leapard just fine.

Macs don't out-date themselfs near as quickly as windows computers do.
  3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    7600GT is a solid graphics card. Mid-range. Just don't expect to be playing Crysis.
  4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
  5. Goman thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2007
    Things like Core Animation is something I'm worried about mostly... Still I quess I'm ok. It is just that this is my first Mac and I want to do it right. With Vistajust around the corner it is even harder to choose. Or do you guys think Bootcamp is able to run Vista?
  6. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am the proud owner of a 24 in iMac. I bought it the day after Christmas and like it very much. The BIG screen size really does take some getting used to -- at first it just felt so darn HUGE! But I have learned to work with it. I still need to get a differnent desk and chair for it since the top of the monitor is about 5 inches above my eye level which initially caused a bit of neck strain.

As for the graphics card, I also upgraded to the 7600 GT. For the type of work that I do (internet, iMovie, iDVD, and photos) the card is way overkill. I don't play games either, but since I can never upgrade it I decided to spend the extra $125. What's another Benjamin after spending over two grand for a computer -- not much.

As far as upgraded iMacs to come, well, that will obviously happen at some point in time. But the new Intel iMacs are still relatively new. I guess you could wait 6 months for the next revision, but why? If you need a new computer now, then you should buy it. My Core 2 Duo will run Leopard just fine -- heck, my six year old Power Mac G4 runs Tiger very nicely. Apple computers generally run faster with each OS upgrade. Windows is an entirely different beast.
  7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2004
    Missouri, USA
    Like i said, the 7600 is a very good card. I build a computer for a guy last april and put a 7600 gt in it. It ran every game i threw at it very well. Like every body else said, i wouldn't worry about the 7600 for a while. Although i do wish they would offer the 7900 GT *drool*
  8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    Maybe. :cool:
  9. Goman thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks guys! Still doubting a bit... I don't really "need" one right now. My PC is still running fine. Still it's all very tempting to do it now :)
  10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

The 24in iMac is a speed demon, it will run Leopard with ease as long as you stick a decent amount of RAM in it. I love the 7600GT its a great card, I have it in my gaming PC, and it runs all my games smoothly and on max resolution. There is some mention that the card can be removed, and possibly upgraded. However, we will have to see if anyone develops a card that can plug into the port.
  11. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Aug 5, 2005
    go for it

ordered mine as soon as they were released and it is a real smasher. just got the 7300 gfx card as i do not play too many games - the only real area that uses the extra memory/power at the moment

use it as a tv/pvr in the bedroom and it is amazing. buy it but make sure you get eyeTV :)

gave mine 2gig of RAM as this will make the most difference.

you wont be dissapointed
  12. valdore macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    Are there that many games that can actually be played on macs? I was under the impression that gaming was practically the sole realm of the PC.
  13. Goman thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2007
    Well, you can play games pretty well on a Mac I quess. Especially when you can just boot Windows with bootcamp... Still games advance so fast that the graphics card will be outdated pretty fast. Also more and more games are available for Macs.
  14. Goman thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2007
    Thanks, for the advice guys! I see that a lot of people here are dealing with the same thing as me: Buy or not to buy.
    Today I have decided I will hold off. It'll be a long wait, but I really hope that when Leopard will come out, so will a new, or atleast upgraded IMac. I'll get one then, and hope my patience is rewarded!! :)