Buying a 30" and a G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SLCentral, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. SLCentral macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    Location:
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I posted something like this on Spymac a little while ago, but I wanted a second opinion so here goes. I'm thinking/planning on grabbing a 30" Cinema Display for my office, and a cheap G5 to go with it, specifically, the refurbed 1.6Ghz. Speed isn't a complete issue for me, as I am using a iMac G5 1.6GHz and the speed is just fine, this is mostly about the monitor.

    I'm planning on adding 1GB of RAM (so it will be 1.25GB), as well as an Airport Extreme card, and the GeForce FX 6800 GT DDL to power the monitor.

    Bottom-line, is this the right time to buy, or is there any reason for me to wait until MWSF? I was thinking that they might lower display prices for the headless Mac (to introduce a low-end display), but this probably won't effect the 30", correct? So, should I wait?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

    Macmaniac

    #2
    I think it would be a good idea to wait until MWSF, its so soon, and if they do release new powermacs then you may be able to get a better used powermac for even cheaper.
     
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #3
    With MWSF so close, the question should be why not wait?? IMO you'd be a fool to buy anything from Apple right before a big event.
     
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #4
    Agreed. Wait the two weeks. At worst, you're out two weeks of use. At best, you save money and/or get a better setup.
     
  5. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    Location:
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    #5
    Gotta love how the guys at Macrumors give the exact opposite advice as the guys at Spymac. I guess I'll wait it out then :).
     
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #6
    Spymac told you to buy now!?! :eek:

    Bloody typical :rolleyes: Not a brain between 'em :eek: :D (Sorry Spymac :p)
     
  7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

    Macmaniac

    #7
    Someone needs to go in there and straighten them out, I would hate to have bought something and have something better and cheaper come out a few days later.
     
  8. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    Location:
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    #8
    Yeah, about 75% of the commenters said go ahead. I don't see Powermac updates happening at MWSF, but the headless Mac may lead to cheaper displays.

    Another thing, I don't want to miss out on the 1.6GHz refurbed deal for $1200. Will it last?
     
  9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #9
    There will always be refurbs.

    Hey, I'm not saying there will be and update, but with it so close it's worth the short wait. You never know what will happen, and you'll kick yourself for not having waited just 10 days if prices drop or new ones are released.
     
  10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

    combatcolin

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Location:
    Northants, UK
    #10
    Yeah, wait - and treat yourself to some brand new Apple kit, shame Tiger is looking at a March release.
     
  11. stvli macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2004
    #11
    I agree with edesignuk. I would wait till the expo, then you'll have a clearer picture. If you were to buy now and something were to come out or did lower in price you'll be kicking yourself and we dont want that now. Be safe and wait :cool:
     
  12. sushi Moderator emeritus

    sushi

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    キャンプスワ&#
    #12
    MWSF is only a short time away. Why not wait to see what is introduced before you make your decision?

    If on the other hand, you have pressing work that needs to be done before then, and you don't mind missing a price reduction or bumped model being introduced, then by all means, go ahead and buy now.

    Sushi
     
  13. Milliways macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    #13
    Whoops, I misread the post. That was all kind of pointless.
     
  14. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    Location:
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    #14
    Yeah, I have that factored in as well. As calculated, the total cost will be $5287. The thing is that I don't want to wait for MWSF, and see new 3GHz PM's, and by then, all the 1.6Ghz refurb's are unavailable, becuase I can't afford anything more. My only "hope" is that the 1.6GHz will drop in price, or the 1.8 will be bumped down to $1200, which wouldn't make sense, considering the single 1.8 was just announced. I can't see the Dual 1.2 dropping $800 in a day, either.
     

Share This Page