buying a 360 now a bad move?

Discussion in 'Games' started by adiosk8, Jan 13, 2007.

1. adiosk8 macrumors regular

I am thinking about buying a 360 but now with the revision 2 coming out and the pictures on engadet...does it make sense to buy one in the next couple of weeks or should I wait?

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Weren't those rumors debunked by microsoft?

I say get one now, even if a new model comes out, it will only have HDMI (will you use HDMI) and built in HD DVD and a larger HDD if even that...

3. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

With the announcement that IPTV will be coming in time for the 2007 holiday season, I would say that a hardware update would be more likely to come then too. If you want to play XBox games this year, I would buy one now. If they come out with upgrades, you'll still be able to buy a HD-DVD addon and probably a bigger hard drive for the current XBoxb 360 if you want.

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Paul Thurrott confirmed it was coming.
    http://www.twit.tv/ww10

Definately wait. The CPU is also being revamped and HDMI provides a noticeably better image than component.

<]=)

Also, only tne new X360 will support IPTV.

<]=)

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

If by "revamp" you mean a simple die shrink... doesn't really make a difference.

If the difference between HDMI and Component is like the difference between VGA and DVI, then man, it definitely isn't worth the wait, I've seen component on the 360, it looks marvelous (at least for games), on my computer DVI makes a difference for text and regular usage but when I play a game, I seriously can't tell the difference, not even on big high resolution displays.

I don't think its worth waiting.

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's similar, but I'd say better than VGA vs DVI. I'm making reference from my friend's PS3. He tried component first, then switched to HDMI and it was noticabely better. I've also noticed that component cables produce a light verticle banding, at least from my experience.

A smaller die should equate to less heat, so less cooling, so less fan noise.

Lots of good games coming ,for the 360. But since they're not out yet, might as well wait. And if one wants IPTV, their only choice is to wait. :)

Also the newer ones will have larger hard drives.

<]=)

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was think about this in the shower today...I came to the answer yes....at least for me.

xBox 360 is good, but with this upgrade coming, and nothing to make me want to play it today, I can wait.

if Halo 3 and Star Wars Battlefront 3 were in its line up today, I'd go out and buy one!

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is that officially confirmed? I can see that being a basic system update.

Right, because heaven forbid you bought an old one, then were overwhelmed enough to buy a new one too. Of course they'll deny it.

To the OP- wait. Few things will happen further down the line, most important being potential drops in prices of the system and more chances of shops bundling more extras with them. You really don't lose anything by waiting. Be one of the first to get the new ones further down the line.

9. adamyoshida macrumors regular

10. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

11. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    buy it now and get like a 2 year extended warrenty and when/if they release a new version of it "opps it stopped working"

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Depends really...I love a good movie but I don't even have an HDTV yet, plus my 360 was bought pretty much just for gaming (at least at this point), so for me it's perfect. If those upgrades offer more to you than they do to me, wait. But if you just want to sit down and play quality games, by all means buy one now.

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Didn't they say the next revision was coming out at the end of this year? Depends if you want to be waiting that long

14. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Look, I'm sorry, HDMI does NOT provide a noticeably better image. To be sure, more compact than component cables, but I bought an HDMI cable for my 34" Toshiba HDTV at home, switched it out with the component cables, and spent three solid days trying to distinguish between the two of them, and I just couldn't do it. I brought it back and got my 95 bucks back.

To be sure, the newer 360 is going to be a little bit nicer. But as far as gameplay goes, it works great now, and there are a ton of games to keep you occupied. I know everyone always gets a bit deflated when a new revision of something comes out, but that's just the way it is. If you want to play the games now (and there are a ton of great ones out there), then buy it and enjoy. If there's nothing really drawing you to the 360, other than, "Huh, it would be nice to have a 360", then wait.

Or you could get a PS3, which isn't going to need a revision for a while, though I don't think it's going to be as fun as the 360, but we'll find out. I just picked one up from BestBuy, and I hook it up to my TV on tuesday.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

IPTV will probably not make Europe due to licencing restrictions. Much like how iTunes has no movies & TV for Europe.

So I imagine IPTV will be a software update only and not somthing intrinsic about the hardware.

Secondly HDMI may not come out. It's all speculation at this point.

So ask yourself - do you need HDMI ? If not then component or VGA will more than meet your needs for a console. HDMI isnt perfect either, and can have issues all of its own.

Finally the 65mn technology ? Again when ? And will it make any major difference ? no..... All the games will be the same regadless.

No one has posted anything about their 360 over heating for months and months. Also the noisest part of launch 360's were their DVD's drive which have already seen a small revision, the new version being quieter.

So what 'real' benefit is there ?

THE ONLY reason to buy a 360 is if there are games you want. If there are then yes - go and get one. If there is NOTHING you want at the moment game wise - then wait, in fact do you need a 360 at all in that scenario, making the whole discussion mute.

16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I've decided to wait until revision 2 comes out. Not because I actually want a revision two machine, but because I hope shops bring the price of the current premium down (or put up more tempting bundles) in order to get rid of their stock. :)

17. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

The major thing you guys are missing is the supposed upgraded hard drive in the new model. Sure the less noise will be nice, as will built-in HD-DVD, but for me, the bigger hard drive is practically the reason to wait by itself.

Right now, the 20 gb hard drive is proprietary from Microsoft; you can't get a bigger one. With HD getting only more popular, in addition to IPTV coming, downloading HD movies through the Marketplace and other means will take up nearly the entire hard drive with only 1-2 movies.

For that reason alone I'm going to wait it out, because I want my 360 to not only serve as my gaming console, but HTMC as well. I've wanted a 360 pretty bad for awhile, but based on the newest info, I think it's wise to hold off :D

P.S. The new revision will probably have most of the kinks worked out, such as the overheating, noise, "bricking" of the machines so they no longer work, etc. which will be nice too. Don't want to worry about the machine going out after a few months!

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It'll be the same connector, so you can almost certain buy the newer HDD

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And there's still the issue that the 100gb HDD may always be an add on, like the HD-DVD.

It wouldnt make finanical sense for M$ to give it away at no additional cost, especially why saddle people with a 100gb HDD if they are in Europe where they cant get HiDef movies for download and such.

I exepect the 100gb HDD to replace the stand alone 20gb HDD that people can buy seperatly. That's all.

20. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

i don't know why they would alienate 10 million of the people that have already bought a 360, i would buy a new one unless they maybe some kind of upgrade program

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Isn't VGA better because you can upscale DVDs through it?

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

For something like a 360, it certainly would make a difference. It made a noticeable difference for my friend's PS3. What were you trying to see a difference on, an upscaled 480i DVD?

<]=)

23. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

In all reality though, one probably won't be able to tell the difference on a monitor that small. A 34'' HDTV is pretty small; if you really want to tell the difference, check it on a 42''+ HDTV; there is a noticeable difference!

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

VGA has the advantage over Component, but not HDMI (VGA isn't a proper TV cable, and is thus completely exempt from all the silly regulations on that kinda stuff)

25. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Component seems to be a bit of an american, and depending on where the thread starter lives, might not be an option for him or her.

Here in the UK, most TVs have SCART sockets which is the main euro standard (and has bi-directional communication). My xbox came with a SCART output.

Not sure where SCART comes on the quality hierarchy, but i think it's above S-video, well above composite, and below component. It's OK but has its own problems, including a huge, huge connector that still seems to come loose sometimes.

I've never seen a TV or VCR or DVD here with component, tho some are available if you look.

Just my tuppence ha'pennyorth.