Buying a broken nano for disk use, good idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vader, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

A friend of mine from school told me his mom ran over his nano over Thanksgiving. He said the click wheel and screen do not work and the back has a huge gash in it. He said it still connects with the computer though. I asked him if I could buy it, he said $25, and I said I would do $20, so he said he would think about it and bring it to school tomorrow for me to see it.

It is a white 2gb 1st gen nano. Is this a good deal? I figure 2gb flash drive for $20 is pretty good. Also he says it will still play music if you know how to get to t with no screen or scrolling.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's an OK deal. I've seen 2GB jump drives for as low as $15 after rebates. The iPod, you'll need to carry a cord with that, and it's already bigger than a jump drive to start with. Personally, I would rather have the flash drive.

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Yeah, I already have a 2gb nano and a 1gb flash drive that was $15, but if this doesn't look terrible, I think I will get it.
    Also, if it still plays, I could use it like a shuffle while running, so it it gets jacked or something, it won't matter too much.
    So you think I should make a lower offer, anyone else have thoughts on this?

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

doesn't sound like you need it. and why would you even want it? 2GB drives are pretty cheap and you said you already have a nano and a flash drive.

5. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

well, of course I don't need it, ipods are not really needs. Just thought a 2gb flash drive would be nice, since I have made some (video) projects at school that won't fit on my 1gb.

I will look into 2gb flash drives, I didn't know they were that cheap, I figured they were closer to $40

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

7. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Searching online I found the cheapest 2gb flash drive to be $25. That was a cheap PNY, just like the 1gb I have is.

Unless someone knows of a better deal than that, I am going to snatch this for $20!
    I will post pics if it seems miraculous that it works from its appearance, just to show the might of a nano!

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you watch sites like slickdeals.net, you can get 2GB jump drives for around $15-$20 sometimes.

9. fuzzwud macrumors regular

is it possible to buy another iPod with a working screen and click wheel? May be you can merge the two into a working one.

10. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Well, as I said before, I do have a 2gb of my own already. I suppose is someone had one that had bad flash or a messed up port and wanted to get rid of it cheap, I could probably get that also and combine them. Not a bad idea, build-a-pod for something like $50 total.

11. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Update

The kid didn't bring it to school, he forgot, but he is bringing it tomorrow. He also said that it still scrolls and everything, just not as well as it did before.
    So I am gonna buy this off him for $20, thanks for the suggestions!

12. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Today I got it, and it would not turn on. When I plugged it in at home, the screen flashed on and off a few times and then began making long beeps with pauses in between them. It does not show up in iTunes or anything. Does this behavior mean it is completely broken, or can it be restored?