Buying a Camera on Ebay: any worries? Objections?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Christopher11, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

Apart from the usual... checking the person's history, vibe you get from emails, etc. Would you consider this? What if it's new in box?

Thanks so much!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope. Way too much to go wrong with a camera, hidden deficiencies or damage in shipping. Also, they are a technology that is ever increasing in capability and with dropping prices, so they are a poor candidate for buying used.

Wouldn't buy a camera unless it came with a manufacturer's warranty. Generally, if it's new in box and the seller is NOT an authorized dealer, you have no warranty. There are way too many "new camera" bait-and-switch, gray-market sellers out there, both on eBay and on online storefronts

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Sony HDR-HC7 Is The Best Choice In Years

You're not giving us enough information to help you. Without know what model you want to buy from whom it's impossible to say. I agree with CanadaRAM that it's generally too risky to buy online from anything but the most reputable dealers directly.

I am highly biased against you buying anything other than the new Sony HDR-HC7 HDV camcorder available at ProVantage for only $1136. Have you read our thread yet?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Thank you once again for your highly relevant and informed opinion.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wouldn't. Ebay has become inundated with scams these days. Buying electronics has just become too risky. :(

For the record, "new in box" doesn't mean anything. I could pack up my heavily used (2 year old) Sony camera in its box and you'd never know the difference.

6. vniow macrumors G4

No one cares but you. Go away now.

7. Wallace25 macrumors member

Wallace25

I bought a canon rebel xt a year ago from an ebay store. it was new in box and still came with canon's warrinty. I have been extremly happy with it and never had any problems. But I would be sure to check sellers history. And consider buying from a ebay store oppesed from just a person selling their old camera.

8. Ozmasgirl macrumors newbie

Ozmasgirl

ebay purchases...

I've had plenty of good experiences on ebay, however, I've also been burned pretty badly. [I will not go into it here].
    Something that came to mind when you mentioned buying a camera
    on ebay is; have you given any thought to the possibility that they(the seller) could be selling a "GRAY MARKET" item? It looks like the genuine article, but in fact isn't?!

I would never buy something like this on ebay, given all the scams that are there now. The seller is usually favored in a debate, and you, the buyer, ends up losing, in the end of it all.

So, if you must, good luck. I know I would not buy on ebay.
    :(

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I bought my Panasonic AG-DVC30 on eBay. It was risky but it came as new as the seller said it would.

eBay has been reliable for me.

10. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

At one point in time I had 4 Sony VX2000s and I sold one on Ebay.
    I didn't lie. I didn't overstate anything. I was actually selling it for about $800 less than the other people and everyone thought I was a scammer, not just a nice guy. People even sent me hateful emails, like I was trying to steal from people. :rolleyes:
    My cam had about 100 hours on it, which is super low, and I stated that. Only one person believed me and paid for my cam. :(

And on a side note: In America Warranties are not transferable.
    I even called Sony myself to ask.

11. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Wow, that was darn informative. You must be an expert.

12. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Thank you to all who responded! A lot of opinions here, and actually, more dissent than I expected. I'm glad I asked. Sorry I wasn't more specific about the camera; i should have been.

I'm looking for a Panasonic GS300, but this was a GS320). This was the actual item i was looking at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-PV-GS320_W0QQitemZ270092758255QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20332QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Strangely, the seller ended having sold the camera, but said something went wrong with the winner's account so he is reposting it.

Anyway, I guess I am looking to go find a dealer (probably for a GS320). Thanks again to all.