Buying a car on Ebay

Discussion in 'Community' started by oldschool, Sep 23, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

my dad just found the perfect car on ebay. it's being sold by a dealer in St. Louis, with a great ebay rating (power seller).

We're not too familiar with purchasing on ebay however. My dad would prefer to deal with the dealer directly and just buy it that way. He's already contacted the salesman, and was informed that he could purchase it outside of ebay.

Are there any benefits to buying it through ebay?

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

The fact that the guy wants to sell outside of the auction is worry some since he doesn't expect to get enough for it. Bidding on the car establishes a base price, e.g. what your dad wants to pay for it. If the car goes for more .... You don't have to feel the "winners curse", that you paid too much for it.

Furthermore, Ebay offers Vehicle purchase protection.

Anyway I would always check the car out before bidding .....

Goodluck!

PS.... I sold a car on ebay, that changed my mind on buying cars on ebay.

3. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I too am in the market for a new car. I was looking on ebay and some cars seem way overpriced for used cars! Id say check out local used car lots before buying, you never know you may find something nicer/cheaper...

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unless this is some classic or rare car, I don't see why you can't go buy the same car at any dealership which offers minimal risk.

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I agree 100% with Abstract.

I've sold four cars on ebay, but I don't think I would ever buy one. ;)

I need to be able to see a car in person, drive it around a bit before I take the plunge and buy it.

But, yeah, unless this care is a classic or rare, I wouldn't bother with ebay or even buying outside of ebay.

6. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

its a great find...a datsun that's totally original with only 28000 original miles on it. We trust the description only because of the dealer's past reputation. Thats the only reason we are considering buying a car blind and having it shipped from St. Louis, MO to Vancouver, Canada.

The seller is offering a buy it now option, and thats what we would be paying, as the bidding is very close to that anyways. So, the seller is willing to sell outside of ebay because of this, and we don't mind for this reason as well

7. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I guess this is a really really really good deal then, despite the US / Canadian exchange rate and shipping?

I personally wouldn't go for it, but good luck. ;)

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'd be wary. but only for the reason that i thought it was against eBay regulations to settle a transaction outside of eBay?

i thought that once you'd put an item up on eBay, if you offer to sell it outside of eBay then you're breaking their rules? :confused:

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

As a rule of thumb, eBay is a seller's market.

It's not typically a good place to find a bargain.

10. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Err.... The fact that something is considered a sellers market has to do with the product not the market place. I am sure it is a sellers market for used ipods but less so for my personal used underwear

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You'd be surprised. People sell their used socks on the internet. I heard someone on the radio say it probably goes to fetishers, and that's probably true.

12. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I bought my newest car on eBay, but only because the seller was local (about 10 minutes drive away), but in the past I have driven a hundred miles or so to have a better look at a car listed on eBay. It all depends on how much you want the car or how good a deal it is (the newest one was an absolute steal!)...