Buying a .com - who/where's best to purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gotohamish, Sep 22, 2003.

1. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Hi

I want to register a .com address - to forward to my existing server. I want to be able to add sub directories for speed access too:

eg:

www.mynewdomain.com

with the ability to use:

www.mynewdomain.com/mypage

etc.

Who's cheap but good? Where do you good people use?

H

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Try http://www.hostonce.com - I registered with them, and use them for hosting. Lots of space, great service, great prices. It's been a great experience.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i don't think u buy them, i think u rent them

4. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

If all you need is forwarding, i'd say to go with NameZero.com. For $19.95/year you get a domain name, forwarding to your web site, and email forwarding from any address at your domain name to your existing email account. I would never have recommended NameZero until a few years ago, when they were bought by NamesDirect, but now they offer a pretty good value IF all you need is a basic forwarding service.

OTOH, if you need web hosting also, many web hosts (including hostonce, mentioned above) offer hosting/name packages that are cheaper than buying the two separately, so you might want to contact your web host to see about buying a domain name.

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

all those 8 dollar domain sites make u pay all sorts of fees...adding up to "8/mo" plus 10 dollar/month registration fees and "maintenance" fees.

I recommend

http://joker.com

12.50 USD.

1 domain.

Your next good experience....

:)

I also bought my most recent domain [http://boycottbuymusic.com] through them....

6. gorman macrumors member

Check out http://www.registerfly.com

They offer pretty cheap registration (9.99 a year), and have the best domain management tools I've seen. You can easily do domain forwarding, use their DNS servers, use your own, etc. I've got over 60 domains with 'em.

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

My trusted DNS registry is www.namesecure.com. I have been using them for the past 4 years, I have registered 4 names through them. Most of my clients use them as well. They only charge the yearly fee, no transfer or set up fees. You can do URL forwarding plus they offer email if you need it. Who ever you go with, make sure you read the fine print, you don't want to be in a situation where you are tied to the DNS offerer and are unable to transfer the name because you find out that they own it and not you.

8. ratspg macrumors regular

well ... my take on it

www.godaddy.com ... 8.95 a year... .com/net/org or many more choices.... try that... :)

9. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

i second www.godaddy.com . i use it and there has been no problem/hassle/issue/excess fee.

10. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Oh yeah. Thanks for the help!

11. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Thanks - I want the domain forwarding to my existing server - but it's too a sub-directory of my server - will this work as it appears I can only put in Name Servers for the forwarding?

Appreciate all your help!

12. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

joker.com , hands down.

They're just the best.
    11 dollars a year with no additional costs whatsoever.

You can configure everything and anything (subdomains,
    re-direct, etc) extremely easily through simple webforms even if you don't know anything about this stuff, but they also give experts all the tools they need to do more advanced things. And they don't charge extra for anything!
    They also take care of your DNS entries for free if you want to.

And they're really nice, honest folks (I've worked with them since way back in the days).

13. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Another question!

If with a mail account, I only get 1MB of email storage - can I receive 2MB attachments? Would I have to use mail rules to auto file mail into a folder so taking it from the server?

Where has the best mail package? I only need 1 or 2 accounts, and will use Apple Mail to file/store - but need to be able to receive attachments.

Thanks!!
    H

14. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

It appears that I can't register an email with them - can this be done elsewhere later?

15. claytonbench macrumors member

READ ME!!!

Use TZO.com or any other that registers with OpenSRS. I have registered 10 domains with them so I have experience with them. If you use them then you DO own your name. Also the features you want are offered by TZO and other features you asked about are server side. But please consider and if you have any questions email me at: claytonbench@mac.com