Buying a console.

Discussion in 'Games' started by job, Mar 5, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Alright, I've decided to purchase a console.

Either PS2 or a gamecube. No X-Box.

I'm leaning towards a gamecube because of metroid prime and the fact that three people on my block have a GC.

Any suggestions on what I should get?

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have a gamecube.

Bad things are lack of really killer games. Metroid is nice but PS2 is getting the games 24/7

3. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

the only games that i'd be remotely interesting in actually purchasing would be MoH:AA, James Bond, Metriod Prime, and possibly Ghost Recon.

are there any other good action/fps games for the GC?

4. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I have a gamecube and its great! It may not have all the games the PS2 has, but it still has something like 400 games.

I would go with the GC if I was you, spend the extra 50 dollars on 4 games from blockbuster (you can get used games for 10 bucks, and some are funner then 50 dollar games!)

5. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Get a GC, I have an Xbox aswell and right now you can't go wrong with a GC. Definitely get Metroid Prime, RE and RE 0 are great if your into survival horror. Zelda should kick butt, and if you pre order it you get copies of the two 64 versions. As for the amount of games, just look at the situation with PC and Mac's, who cares about the amount of software if most of it is crap, so don't belive the hype about the ps2 I didn't that's why I skipped over it and got an xbox instead.

6. andrewlandry macrumors member

i have a gamecube and an x-box. since getting the gamecube, i sold almost all of my gamecube games (except for Super Monkey Ball II).

The selling point on the x-box aside from graphics was the HD and being able to play the best looking version on Tony Hawk 4 while listining to my own songs from the HD. Also, the S-Controller that the x-box now comes with is quite good in my opinion.

What really made me mad at the GameCube was when I bought Mortal Kombat. It requires you to use the d-pad the whole time. I don't know if you've seen how small the d-pad is on a GameCube controller, but it really hurt my fingers and was difficult to control. Same goes for Tony Hawk although they give you the option of using to analog stick to control. I did that until I got the x-box version of the game and it was a lot harder that way.

Also, I like playing NBA2k3 on x-box live. Very fun - and now Capcom vs. SNK is on x-box live.

I bought the GameCube first, because I really like Nintendo and their philosophy. Unfortunately, their unique controller doesn't work well on many cross-platform games and the only quality exclusives are being made by Nintendo. That said, I'm looking forward to Zelda.

Actually though, you might be better off getting a Gamecube if that's what your friends have - because you can share games.

Hmmm, if you are really against getting an x-box, you might get a PS2. Because all cross-platform games are designed around the PS2 controller and optimized more carefully for PS2 hardware. That's why some gamecube games I had (Tony Hawk, TimeSplitters 2) had framerate and/or stutter problems that were absent in the PS2 versions.

I don't know if this helps at all. Like I said, it's really a tough choice. And as much as I hate to say it, I would probably say to avoid the GameCube.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

System...

GamCube- Nice system, not THAT many games. Looks cool, plays good.

PS2- LOTS and LOTS of games. The graphics arent that great, and it isnt that well designed, but there are lots of games.

xBox- Not that many games, but whatever game it has is GOOD. GREAT GRAPHICS. Has a hardrive for music storage. ONLINE GAMING! Looks nice, plays great.

I think you should go with the xBox. Dont even gimme the crap about supporting microsoft. This console is badass, I own one. I have Ghost Recon, Moto GP, and Mech Assault. All 3 games are online compatible, and kick ass. I love playing ghost recon with 12 other people...no lag, and talking to them with strategies.

Oh, and our xBox does hook up to the HDTV, and it looks friggin amazing. Dolby 5.1 sound, I can hear people coming up behind me in Moto GP and stuff!

My order...

xBox- 9.5
    PS2- 8
    Gamecube- 7.5

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

gamecube rocks...love the controls and the graphics. plus it has super monkey ball 2.

9. andrewlandry macrumors member

right on. x-box really is awesome.

i guess i was shy to say it because everyone here is so anti-MS, but it has the coolest features and all of the cross platform games look best on x-box. Mech Assault is good and I'm really looking forward to MidTown Madness and Halo 2, both of which will be x-box live enabled. If anyone wants to add me to thier buddy list, my gamertag is andrewlandry. My favorite thing to play is NCAA2K3, although I also have Mech Assault and will probably get Capcom vs. SNK soon.

But I have to admit that Super Monkey Ball 2 is great :) The mini-games are the best. I visited my 13 year old sister for a week over x-mas and we logged over 27 hours on the story mode in a week. That doesn't include the hours we wasted playing the mini-games. My girlfriend wouldn't let me sell the GameCube because Monkey Pool is the only game she likes to play. :)

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The next Zelda game will be on its way soon to the GC...if you care about that...:)

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

gamecube

why?

lets see, I work at EB Games with three really hardcore gamers. They all own all three systems. Their favorite?? All say GameCube so far this year. Its got a few games that are just amazing.

Personally, I am a Nintendo fanboi. Always have been, always will be. That being said, I had been out of gaming for a while. I bought the GameCube the day it came out, but it was essentially relegated to being my g/f's toy. Then she bought me Metroid Prime two weeks ago for my birthday. Wow. Wow. Wow. It makes me have that itch to game again. Now I am playing through that and the Ocarina Master Quest. When Zelda Wind Waker comes out in three weeks, I will get the first copy.

Mario is really good, just not earth shattering.

The Monkey Ball games are unparalleled in multiplayer madness.

Eternal Darkness is one of the freshest, most immersive games I have ever played.

If you like the Resident Evil series, the Gamecube is for you.

All the sports titles are inexpensive.

The load time is almost NONE. Even in games such as Metroid.

12. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Gamecube!

Get a Gamecube!

The graphics are great, the games are great, the controller (while it might initially feel akward) is great. My personal choice is to sacrafice the rumble feature and use a Wavebird wireless controller with my Cube. It's lightweight and comfortable, although it tends to eat batteries.

Also, the Cube has the connect feature with Gameboy Advance, which I use frequently in Animal Crossing (great game, playing it is like relaxing therapy), and it has Metriod Prime (also, great game) compatability, too (you need Metriod Fusion).

Gamecube has some great games coming, and it has online gaming capabilities, although I only know one game that uses it. I know I'm going to have a great time playing Zelda: Windwaker later this month, and I can't wait for Harvest Moon: It's a Wonderful Life to come out in September.

One last thing, the Cube is compact and cool (reminds me of a certain Apple design...), and if you have an extra $100 or $150, you can buy a small screen for taking the system just about anywhere.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sure they do, go check out MGS2. Too much particle effect for the XBox engine. The PS2 emotion engine deals with it like a champ though.

On another note. I can't believe anyone would say the PS2 graphics aren't very good. I have played all the consoles and I have to say that the first couple rounds of games for the PS2 could have been better but that's not to say they don't have good graphics. The very latest games coming out for the PS2 are the only ones so far to fully take advantage of the PS2 programing language. YES, it's taken them 3 years to figure it all out. I have to say that the latest games will and do rival anything the XBox is capable of. It's all in the coding.

14. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Excellent, Zelda games rock, but i saw some screenshots for this new version and it looks very childish (i refuse to believe the older ones were childish).

Yeah, there is a version of MGS 2 on its way to the xbox, its the full game plus a load of extras.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

MGS2 is already available for the XBox and if you ever play it you will understand what I said. When are outside on the deck of the ship all the particle effects(rain) cause the system to drag really bad.

The new version of MGS2 with all the extras is already available and on the store shelves for the PS2.

If you want to play lots and lots of games get a PS2 you will never run out of great games.

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, they're going with the trendy cell shading look for this one...so it does seem more cartoon like.

Link still seems to be about the same age as in Majora's Mask, etc.

17. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Re: gamecube

what's it about? i've never heard of it.

i'd also like to pick up a good rpg. i've heard lots about the zelda line of games, but since i'm a console n00bie, i don't really know much about the franchise.

if i do pick up a GC, i can get metroid for free and i'll spend a little extra to pick up another game. anyone know a good fps/rpg for 2 or more players (my brother will want to play too.)

i'm considering red faction2 or medal of honor for multiplayer action.

18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Playstation! All The Way!

Biggest feature for me was backward compatibility with PS1. Who company on the face of the earth guarantees new systems play your old games!!? Nintendo? haha, Sega? ahaha X-Box? (does'nt have any old or new games for that matter) ahaha

I'm also fairly comfortable feeling that when P3 comes out ALL your games you buy now will play on it. Then there's the HUNDREDS of games and a lot of exclusive games. The controller is the best of the bunch too. The X-Box, well it's designed by M$ so no wonder) and I've always hated the feel of nintendo's. I disagree that the graphics or gameplay lacks, whatever, I have no issues with Navy Seals, Grand Theft Auto, Solid metal Gear2, Spiderman among others.

Put it this way, go to BolckBuster and look at your rental choices. The PS2 has like 3 isles, X-Box is the small wall in the bathroom and then the GC. It's a no brainer for me.

Aslo, not sure about X-Box and GC, but the PS2 has a component out adapter and Digital Optical Sound out so I play it on my HDTV with digital surround sound. Very sweet with Grand Theft Auto Vice City's hot sound tracks.

19. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Zelda Cell Shading

One minute of gameplay, and your negativity about the cell shading will completely dissapate. (playable at most video game dealers)

I cant hardly wait. I am also working through the mater quest.

#1 Zelda fan here as well. I play through Zelda I about once a year, both quests just for the nostalgia and fun of it.

I only bought the GC for zelda, but picked up Simspon's Road Rage because its funny and is a good time killer.

20. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Now thats a great comeback if ever i heard one....:eek:

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

GameCube.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago. I got Metroid Prime free with it. I also bought the Sonic Mega Collection and Defender. They're all so well done. It's quality that you don't see on the other boxes.

Maybe the PS3 will be great but it's going to be late. I would not buy an Xbox simply because its future is so unstable.

22. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: Re: gamecube

The Zelda games were excellent. Ocaina of Time and Majora's Mask on the N64 were some of the best games of their time (Not to mention Links Awakening among a load of others). Im not so sure about this new one though, looks fishy but then again it is Zelda.

(in case you didnt know, i like zelda games. :))

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree how can they continue to promote a product that they lose money on every sale.

24. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

But is it really all about quantity?

You've got Metroid and Rogue Squadron, et al on the GC.

From what I've seen on the GC it's more about quality than quantity.

The PS2 may have more games, but how many of them are you really going to play/going to buy?

Does anyone know any good MP shooters for the GC. It's a major point for my purchase. I'm also considering the online RPG developed by Sega since it has off-line MP as well.

I also heard that Splinter Cell was coming to the GC soon, along with the next installment of the Medal of Honor series.