Buying a foreign mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macmanmatty, Jul 11, 2005.

1. macmanmatty macrumors regular

I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    I saw a good deal on a 2.7 ghz powermac and 20" apple acd display from an online auction site, one problem the guy is located in Germany which uses a 220 volt power supply. Will the powermac be a 220 volt mac? Do power macs have a switch for the 2 modes? Will I have to buy a converter to use this? Or are all macs just 110 volt and he is using a power converter? Or is this just not a good idea in general because it won't work? Also would the keyboard be any different? The os? Any advice would be appreacted.

Thanks

2. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

there is too much risk for this object to buy it. Use your common sense, and avoid this product.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

All of your concerns are legit and probably true.

In the words of Nancy Reagan "Just Say No!!"

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't believe PowerMacs are dual voltage. All notebooks are, obviously. iMacs used to be dual voltage, but the new pizza-box iMacs aren't dual voltage. eMacs......not sure, but I don't believe they are. And PowerMacs were never dual voltage, or haven't been for a long time. And unlike a Powerbook, you can't just buy another AC Adapter as readily.

And I wouldn't rely on a voltage converter full-time.