buying a G5 iMac, but should I wait for Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by memphismac, Jan 12, 2005.

1. memphismac macrumors member

I'm just about settled on buying a new iMac, but I'm not sure if I should wait for Tiger or not.

What have the update procedures/timelines been like in the past?

Brian

FWIW: I'm currently using an iMac DVSE Graphite (400mhz, I think).

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

1. As soon as Apple announces a shipping date, people buying new machines should be eligible for the $19.95 Mac OS X Up-to-Date program.

2. People buying new machines the day before the announcement are eligible for the full whack update at $129.

You know it's coming, Apple hasn't announced a ship date yet... so you'll probably be grouped with (2) if you buy a machine now.

As far as the new iMacs, they'll likely be speed bumped after the updated PowerMacs hit the streets.

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

no one really knows the actual ship date of tiger...it could be 6 mos from now, and many people buy right away, but others like myself will wait 2-3 mos to see how the initial installs go...i would buy when iLife 05 is bundled with it.

4. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Forget tiger, I'm waiting for the next iMac update to see if they improve the graphics card any! :D

Seriously though I am in your same predicament - looking to update to a new iMac G5 from an older iMac, and waiting to see how the cards fall. I think I'm going to go ahead and get Tiger first (if it comes out before an iMac refresh with a new GFX card) for my older iMac, and then get the iMac G5 with tiger pre-installed. If they don't refresh the GFX card I'm still going to get one, but it'd be nice to get a little bump if I can (and my iMac now is still performing fine for me).

Just my 2 cents.

5. memphismac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to give it until early March and see where things are.

Maybe by then we'll have a ship date for Tiger, and maybe even price drops or speed bumps...

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Pun intended?