buying a G5 iMac, but should I wait for Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by memphismac, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. memphismac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    #1
    I'm just about settled on buying a new iMac, but I'm not sure if I should wait for Tiger or not.

    What have the update procedures/timelines been like in the past?

    Brian

    FWIW: I'm currently using an iMac DVSE Graphite (400mhz, I think).
     
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #2
    1. As soon as Apple announces a shipping date, people buying new machines should be eligible for the $19.95 Mac OS X Up-to-Date program.

    2. People buying new machines the day before the announcement are eligible for the full whack update at $129.

    You know it's coming, Apple hasn't announced a ship date yet... so you'll probably be grouped with (2) if you buy a machine now.

    As far as the new iMacs, they'll likely be speed bumped after the updated PowerMacs hit the streets.
     
  3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

    Manzana

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2004
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #3
    no one really knows the actual ship date of tiger...it could be 6 mos from now, and many people buy right away, but others like myself will wait 2-3 mos to see how the initial installs go...i would buy when iLife 05 is bundled with it.
     
  4. mox358 macrumors 6502

    mox358

    Joined:
    May 22, 2002
    Location:
    Indiana
    #4
    Forget tiger, I'm waiting for the next iMac update to see if they improve the graphics card any! :D

    Seriously though I am in your same predicament - looking to update to a new iMac G5 from an older iMac, and waiting to see how the cards fall. I think I'm going to go ahead and get Tiger first (if it comes out before an iMac refresh with a new GFX card) for my older iMac, and then get the iMac G5 with tiger pre-installed. If they don't refresh the GFX card I'm still going to get one, but it'd be nice to get a little bump if I can (and my iMac now is still performing fine for me).

    Just my 2 cents.
     
  5. memphismac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    #5
    Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to give it until early March and see where things are.

    Maybe by then we'll have a ship date for Tiger, and maybe even price drops or speed bumps...
     
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

    Mechcozmo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2004
    #6
    Pun intended?
     

Share This Page