Buying a iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by applemacdude, Apr 14, 2003.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Well, my dad is going to buy me an iMac and I want to know where is the best place to buy a mac. I've heard that on the internet you don't have to pay taxes, is this true? I going to school can I get the educational discount at Apple's site? Thanx:)

2. macphisto macrumors regular

It depends on where you live that will determine whether or not you are taxed. I think generally Apple does tax anyway. And yes you can get an educational discount through the Apple store. Click on the education tab/button on the top of the Apple store and follow the instructions. If you are going to college it may be easier to print out what you want and go to the the computer store on campus and order it that way (if they do it.)

hth

3. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

well I live in oakland ca and im in the 8th grade

4. macphisto macrumors regular

In that case I would just use the online education store. They have pretty nice deals for students. Just follow the instructions and you should be set up.

PM me if you need any other help.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Check with backtothemac at General Cybernetics. Several members have bought from him (myself included) and he can usually get a fantastic price. Just follow the link from the GC banner on the page or pm him.

D

6. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

agreed. I got my PowerMac and some accessories form him. Also, my girlfriend and mother bought iBooks from him, and my sister will most likely be buying a powerbook from him in a few months (next 12" alubook revision).

We have only been very happy with him/his company AND HE HAD BETTER PRICES.

so yeah, there ya go man.

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

TAX vs EDU

When I got my latest Mac, I got it at Apple.com I looked at other places on the net so I could aviod the taxes. You have to compair your states Taxes to the EDU discount. THe EDU is not that great but its something, and you can customise your order. I found that going with Apple was cheper becuase I could order it with as little RAM as possible that way... and order 3rd party RAM some place else. The savings from the RAM and the EDU discount was better than no Taxes

... at the time

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

you need to be a college student to get the edu discount...only k-12 schools and teachers and higher education students and teachers qualify for the edu discount