Buying a Mac for the first time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brettsinger, Aug 13, 2006.

1. brettsinger macrumors member

I've been tempted before, but I'm now just about convinced to plunk down some cash for a new Macbook... or maybe a Mini. I mostly want to use it to record music and edit video, something that I can do with a PC but not as well. (I've done a little recording lately, but the programs keep crashing, various things work one time and then don't, tpical Windows things.) Also, my laptop is what I use for work, and I'd rather keep my creative hobbies (music, video editing) on a different machine.
    I'd prefer a Macbook, so here are my questions:
    - $1099 versus $1299 versus $1499: the black one is cooler looking, and it'd be nice to have a DVD burner built-in. But is it worth the extra money? Is the lowest-end model still good enough for my needs?
    - I've read that upgrades are imminent (Leopard, new processor) but how soon? Is it worth waiting for?

Thanks in advance.

2. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Wait till Sept 12 and don't get the blackbook untill they give you somthing that's actually worth the extra cost. (Unless the black is worth just under $200 to you that is.)

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

the 200 buck jump from the white to black is $50.00 for Hdd upgrade/ $150.00 for the color..

4. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

5. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

Id suggest waiting till sept 12 aswel but i was jst wondering what recording programs do you use/have and wot recording set up do u have i.e. interface etc? cos im going 4 the macbook pro for the extra recording power

6. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

I'm plugging into the line in jack on an IBM Thinkpad. Recording guitar/bass, drums (via a Yamaha DD-55, low-end device) and voice. I figure I'll need to get a breakout box of some sort, but I figured I'd start with computer questions. I'm strictly an amateur and don't have tons of disposable income, so justifying a Pro purchase is tough.

7. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

Hm. Point taken. I can get the education pricing because I'm a teacher, but even that makes it tough to pull the trigger just to get a blackbook.
    What happens September 12? Leopard?

8. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

ok well that would work on the macbook fine i did it for a while with my 12 intput desk till i could afford the FW interface in my signiture below. so tbh if your only recordin one or 2 tracks at a go you dont need a pro really. oh and your other qn the 12th is the paris expo where we're all expecting stevey to release the merom processors into MB/MBP *finger crossed*!!! leopard wont be till jan

9. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

no hopefully an update to the product line though i think it will come before the 12th

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Oh please god earlier LOL I so want to buy my MBP

11. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

what did you use before you got the hercules?

12. wiresandwaves macrumors newbie

Sony DVD burners are $100CAD at Wal-Mart.

I got the basic model. You're better off buying ram with that money.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Look at the EDU pricing and the Refurbished pricing. Many times you can get better deals buying used macs. If you are one who's wanting something new and doesn't trust used (which is understandable) or you wish to wait whenever this elusive Merom comes out...

14. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on your decision to purchase your very first Mac

15. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

point taken. I have two external DVD burners already.
    Thanks for your help, everyone.

16. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

My friend uses his Macbook for Music recording. He's doing Music production at Uni. Anyway, he uses the 2Ghz with 2Gb Ram, and he says it flys with Logic. So me personally... I'd get the 2Ghz.