buying a mac notebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by theriddler265, Jun 18, 2005.

1. theriddler265 macrumors newbie

what I need to know is if i'm better off with an ibook with 700 some odd megs of ram or with a powerbook with the standard 512, like which would run faster? what would be the best price/performane ratio here

Edit: I plan to use it for school web browsing I plan on using itunes Iphoto and Imovie mostly as well as chatting etc, I will probably be playing music, chatting on at least two messangers, having various web browser windows open etc

2. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I know the powerbook would run faster, Im also almost positive the PowerBook will give you a better price/proformance ration becuase resold iBooks still go for alot on eBay.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

4. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

It depends on how you use your system. If you happen to typically use more than 512MB, the PB will be at a severe disadvantage. For most typical tasks, I'd assume you wouldn't use more than the 512MB of physical RAM and the PB should in general perform better.

5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

The harddrive on the PB is 5400 RPM while the iBook is only 4200. I would suggest getting a PowerBook. The only thing that a iBook is supposedly better for is WiFi because it doesn't have the metal interference of the PBs case.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Not true. The powerbook's speed can compensate for the ram.

512 is the standard for ram but you would be better off with more ram for photoshop work. I would recommend around 1 gig of ram and you should not run into problems.