buying a mac on student discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajaygrover, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajaygrover macrumors newbie

What are the implications of a buying a macbook with another persons student card. So like if i buy a macbook with my friends student card (because i am not student:D ). will i get waranty etc.:confused:

2. JDN macrumors 6502a

I would think it would all be under his name.

I ordered my MBP over the phone and just said i was a student, they didnt ask for any evidence and i got the same discount as my mate did that ordered it online from our uni campus.

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

One of the implications is that you're lying about your status. Since you're not a student, that means you DON'T deserve the discount so deal with it. Don't be dishonest, its not cool.

Apple have been known to check up on student purchases as well, so you're out of luck if they check you up.

Also to counter JDNs' point, I've bought student discount stuff and I've needed to prove it to them over the phone so you got lucky, something you don't deserve if you are going to swindle a company of money they deserve.

4. JDN macrumors 6502a

I would just like to clarify I AM A STUDENT and have done nothing wrong.

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Its the way you said it, sorry dude.:p

6. JDN macrumors 6502a

Yeh, when i re-read the post i realised it sounded a bit suspect. No offence taken.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

The implications are you'll burn in hell, cause you're lying...

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Be prepared to show proof of student status. When I bought my MBP, they asked for student ID. When I called about ordering online, they told me I'd have to send them proof of status within a month or something.

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

if you're not a student, you don't get the student discount. how hard is that?

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

If you aren't a student go buy from Amazon. With the mail in rebate and no tax, they are cheaper anyway.

If people abuse they student discount system, Apple may take it away and there are many students who need that discount. Look at iPods, they have always had a small discount and now they have none. :(

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It doesn't matter if your mom, dad, aunt, uncle or friend helps you buy
    with the educaton discount.

The computer belongs to the person who registers it at setup.

12. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

If you really are a student why would you be using your friends to get the discount? Seems pretty off base.

Don't screw up something great for those of us with a real legitimate claim to the discount, if you don't qualify, pay the price.

Edit: ignore who I quoted.. blah blah blah, misread who was who, blah blah blah. sorry

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You quoted the wrong person dude.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Wrong guy - the OP is the one that's trying to borrow an ID, the person you quoted was saying that he'd phoned in his order, said he was a student, and no more questions were asked. People took this as he'd lied, but he was just clarifying that he WAS a student.

15. islandman macrumors 6502

Is there any other store besides Amazon that sells Macs without charging tax?

16. JAT macrumors 603

Interesting. To sum up the viewpoint:

Don't be dishonest with Apple.

Be dishonest with your state, don't pay sales tax.

Tax is still owed on an out-of-state purchase, except it is called "use tax" instead. Same rate as your sales tax. Most states say an individual has to pay use tax if their calendar year out-of-state purchases are over a certain amount, generally around $700. Almost any Mac would qualify just by itself.

17. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The only brick and mortor stores that i'm aware of are in Rhode Island.

On the interenet, I think MacMall doesn't charge shipping but I have no experience with them so I can't say whether they would be better or not than Amazon.

18. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ok I just looked it up. You are right....

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6060450.html?part=rss&tag=6060450&subj=news

Personally, I live in the South and I don't pay any state income taxes so I don't think this applies to me. Also, the states are just greedy. Many states waste millions (if not billions) of tax money every year because state governments are filled with corrupt politicians who broker sweetheart deals and personally profit from them. Look at the tunnel in Boston if you need any evidence of corruption in America at its best.

Finally, these laws seem fairly uninforceable to me. Laws which cannot be inforced are silly and a waste of time and money as well.

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They're not necessarily unenforceable. They generally don't go after people for just use tax issues, but if you're audited (either with reason or randomly), they're going to look into it.

20. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

As I said, there is no state tax agency in my state so I don't see how I would get audited but I feel sorry for people who live in the North. They are already overburdoned with Federal, State, and Local taxes.

The first perminant federal income tax system was not instituted until 1913 and was sold to the voters as a tax for only the wealthy to help fund social programs. Interestingly, about this same time the first modern corporations were born (basically as tax shelters for the rich). Fast forward a few years and everybody pays taxes at every level. Many of the original founders of this country left their homelands to escape over-taxation and here we are a couple hundred years down the road in the same situation. The tax system, tort system, insurance and especially campaign finance in this country have been in need of major reform for the last 30 years at least. The main problem is that the individuals responsible for reforming it profit from the old systems so change never happens. Anyway, end of rant but basically unless I get a letter or someone from the state comes to my door telling me that I owe it, I'm not volunteering anything. The state isn't being victimize, the taxpayers are.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The fact that the iPods have no discount has nothing to do with people "cheating" the company for the education discount. The education discount has been around basically since the beginning. It's not going to go away.

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I'm not saying that it is, however, it could be a factor. More likely, some bean- counter decided that cutting out the $30 student discount on iPods would make a couple extra million for the company.

iPods have received a small student discount in the past but there is no longer one as of the most recent upgrades. I know that they offer free ones with the purchase of the Mac as a promotion during the Summer months but this is not the same as a stand alone student discount.

23. shecky Guest

shecky

i am in RI - who is it?

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Agreed.

25. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I finally qualified for the HE program here in the UK. The prices are great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.