Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
OK, but most people are probably like me, I'd be screwing around with it for at least a week and then if something went wrong I'd have no idea where to look for a fix.

But that's how you learn! You can't figure out how to fix something until you screw it up severely, and maybe also electrocute yourself in the process.

It's a trial by fire. I mean sure, I might occasionally suddenly lose bladder control and forget where I am, but that's the price you pay for being tech savvy.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
edit: Here's some proof. I'm running Windows 8, which is getting new-OS constant updates. Haven't had to reboot it in 9 days 4 hours. And I'm running it on my older machine which I've had for about 5-6 years now.
Do the later versions not mess with user settings? (I'm still on XP) I'm about to the point where I will simply not allow any more Office updates since it always resets some of the settings to default. Maybe the Windows version doesn't affect this, anyway, since it is Office. WinXP takes so bloody long to get back to normal I never reboot, either. Except for updates. Basically everything I do (fiddling) with this computer at work is grounds for firing, but I'm faster at my actual job because of it.

I never run any sort of AV/malware software. Waste of time, the only malware I've gotten since 2000 was so brand new it wasn't in any of the lists for major software products, anyway. Had to find a week-old unnamed cleaner to kill it.

----------

When I think about what brought me to Windows in the first place, it was the ability to print. Lotus 123 with wysiwyg worked poorly and wordperfect was a crap shoot. Word and Excel for Windows and later MS Office 97 offered the ability to get pretty much exactly what I expected pretty much every time.
LOL, when I had to use Win versions of Office back then I just about screamed. WYSIWYG was true on the Mac versions, not Win. They still can't be bothered to actually make it work in Excel 2007. I agree about the HP print drivers, worst software ever, except for their networking software.

Renzatic

Suspended
Do the later versions not mess with user settings? (I'm still on XP) I'm about to the point where I will simply not allow any more Office updates since it always resets some of the settings to default. Maybe the Windows version doesn't affect this, anyway, since it is Office. WinXP takes so bloody long to get back to normal I never reboot, either. Except for updates. Basically everything I do (fiddling) with this computer at work is grounds for firing, but I'm faster at my actual job because of it.

What do you mean by user settings exactly? Within Office? I'm not the best person to answer that, because I've never been what you'd call an Office power user. I just fire it up and use it as is out of the box. I've never done much customization to it beyond adding a few fonts here and there.

That said, the updates have never messed me up at all. When one comes down the tube, I grab it, let it run, and life goes on as usual. It's pretty straightforward from my experiences.

I never run any sort of AV/malware software. Waste of time, the only malware I've gotten since 2000 was so brand new it wasn't in any of the lists for major software products, anyway. Had to find a week-old unnamed cleaner to kill it.

Yeah, I could probably forego one entirely, but I keeping them around as just in case precaution. MSE is built into Windows 8 now anyway, so I might as well let it run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.