Buying a Macbook from the US with a UK credit card

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mstruve, Jun 25, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I am based in the UK and thinking of buying a MBA from the US online store, to be delivered to my cousin's US address.
    Does this require a US credit card to make the payment, or can I pay using my UK credit card?
    Btw, I am aware of the customs issues etc but not really concerned about that at this stage.
    Thanks very much.
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2011
    Well some people managed to pay directly but by filling the billing address with the actual US shipping adress...i think it will come down to luck.
  3. macrumors member

Aug 6, 2010
    Send your cousin the money and get him to order it.
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2013
    use a parcel forwarding company to reship it to you, like no sales tax. you can choose Fedex, dhl or USPS. Personally, I think USPS is easier to pass the customs because Fedex and DHL are commercial express .
  5. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    I believe one time I did the reverse and gifted somebody in the UK via Everything seemed have gone normal.
  6. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I wouldn't even consider scamadviser rates it very low and based in China. Their website doesn't look very trustworthy.

The poster recommending the site is a newbie with only two posts, both to recommend a dubious site.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2011
    Are you sure, isn't the U.S. keyboard different than the British one?
  8. macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    Guys, read the OP's post carefully. He's buying in the US and having it shipped to a US address. The only question is whether he can use a UK credit card...

OP: Sorry I can't help you there...
  9. macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2008
  10. macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2013
    Hey there,

I did a similar thing, buying in the UK store but living abroad. The British site required a shipping address within the UK (obviously), but it also required a valid UK address for the credit card. My guess is that the same goes for the US site.
    The solution I went to was transferring the money over to a family member in the UK to make the purchase on my behalf. Went like a charm. You can also contact Apple and ask them to alter the keyboard and/or power adapter to match your needs after the payment has been made (but you need to be quick, because if it's already been assembled and shipped then you're buggered).